: UUC install

thrift23
02-25-06, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to install my UUC shifter and I've gotten down to the clip that holds the shifter arm to the transmission, but I can't get the one loose that connects on the drivers side of the trans. Is there some type of trick I don't know about??? Thanks.

Lindsay Cadillac
02-25-06, 09:30 PM
Are you are talking about the pin that holds the linkage to the trans??

You should just need to pry the one side of it out slightly and then the pin will rotate.

lasstss
02-26-06, 11:32 AM
Remove the solenoid valve there . Just one bolt. Makes it a lot easier to see what you are doing. No fluid comes out.

thrift23
02-26-06, 12:45 PM
I ended up just drilling out the rivets while the shifter was still in the car. This has to be the easiest way to do it, just wish I would have known before I removed the passenger side clip. Thanks for the help.

BadCad
02-26-06, 02:24 PM
Shifter arms do not have to be removed to install UUC. Drill out the rivets from top, remove exhaust from cat converters to allow easier access, and remove stock shifter from below. If installing new bushings at this time, grease them up well or else you'll have a tought time installing them.

2004ctsv
02-26-06, 02:31 PM
Shifter arms do not have to be removed to install UUC. Drill out the rivets from top, remove exhaust from cat converters to allow easier access, and remove stock shifter from below. If installing new bushings at this time, grease them up well or else you'll have a tought time installing them.

This is correct except if you don't grease the bushing well, you WON'T install them. Or, you'll push like hell, you hand will slip and get cut, you'll bleed like a pig on the metal frame, then the bushings will slide right in.

When asked to give blood, some people claim that they gave at the office. I give in the garage.

Tony

BadCad
02-26-06, 02:38 PM
yeah - instead of grease i used my blood to install the bushings. worked well but not sure i'd do it again.... (screw driver slipped!)

ewill3rd
02-26-06, 04:04 PM
I have a pick that has about 1" angled approximately 45 degrees.
I just stick it through the outside hole on the trans housing and it pushes the inner retainer back then the arm slides right up on the clip.
I have actually had little luck prying up on the inside as it's hard to get to.

I'd like to think my method is the easiest but then again, I have done several of them whereas most guys just do 1.
I don't like drilling them from above for several reasons, but the most dominant reason is taking the plate off inside to access the rivets.