: iPod Kit Installation Question

atdeneve
02-25-06, 11:44 AM
After connecting the white connector from the kit with the digital interface box, are the original radio wires coming from the dash/firewall just left unplugged?

wildwhl
02-25-06, 12:01 PM
:confused:

Nothing is left unplugged - the adapter kit plugs in between the factory wiring harness and the radio. Does this answer your question?

WW

atdeneve
02-25-06, 12:26 PM
Yup, that's it. Figured that's how it was supposed to be. Just wanted to make sure. Durr! Thanks!

wildwhl
02-25-06, 01:05 PM
:thumbsup:

Make sure you have some playlists. I still don't, just a ton of songs on a 20GB iPod, so I use random. I'll fix that some day.

WW

Carnalsupply
02-25-06, 06:03 PM
Would somebody point me to the originating thread for this i-pod "install". I'd like to look at it for consideration.
Thanks.

SoCadillac
02-25-06, 06:17 PM
Would somebody point me to the originating thread for this i-pod "install". I'd like to look at it for consideration.
Thanks.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/ipodkit/index.html

lawfive
02-26-06, 07:37 PM
I finally broke down and got a 60 GB video ipod last week. Anybody working on a CTS interface for that?

ctsvett
02-26-06, 08:13 PM
L5,
The radios and more kit will work with the video iPod, but there is no video input (yet?!....?)

That would be a good install for the "modfest" that we have been talking about in a few months... We could all help install it and it would probably only take 30 mins...

Reed

BadCad
02-27-06, 12:29 PM
Hey Reed,
Keep me advised of modfest please - still haven't installed the iPod thingie yet myself.

ctsvett
02-27-06, 12:42 PM
will do, and it will be posted here...

I am thinking late april/ ealry may depending on if Barak can come through...

Reed

lawfive
02-27-06, 07:34 PM
Thanks Reed; audio only is what I'm looking for. Haven't yet decided whether I need the expensive "display tracks on screen" solution or the el cheapo audio aux input solution.

BadCad
02-27-06, 07:50 PM
Haven't yet decided whether I need the expensive "display tracks on screen" solution or the el cheapo audio aux input solution.
c"mon - you're driving a $30K car that was $50K not too long ago.... spend the money for a topnotch iPod thingie Reed designed. Don't get the cheapo audio solution.

lawfive
02-27-06, 07:56 PM
It's not the money; it's the "Great... Now I have to spend time putting together playlists that I wouldn't have otherwise done, just in order to get my value out of this special harness... I have no time as it is... If it's not one damned thing, it's another..." factor.

atdeneve
02-27-06, 08:08 PM
We can't fast forward through a song, can we? I thought (or maybe it was hopeful thinking) that the tune knob would allow us to do so. Is it possible?

ctsvett
02-27-06, 08:08 PM
One thing I like about the ipod kit versus the Aux audio, is that you use standard controls on the car to change tracks, etc... Before, with the Aux input, I had to use the ipod which was dangerous.... I also had to develop a bracket so I could see what song was playing...

Also, with the ipod kit, you dont need to develop playlists necessarily. You can just play the entire ipod on shuffle if you want. Playlists just make it easy to narrow down what you want to listen to.

With the ipod kit you cant select a specific song which you can do using the ipod.. but this is very dangerous (I have almost crashed a bunch of times)...

Just so everyone can understand the differences.

Reed

CTS-V E
02-27-06, 09:45 PM
How do i get this kit to hook up my ipod......its the one where the playlist come on the screen right,,,,,,and what is the price..thanks eric

ctsvett
02-27-06, 10:25 PM
radiosandmore.com has the kit...

the playlist names dont show up, but the song titles/album names/ artist names of the songs do.

Reed

lasstss
02-27-06, 11:39 PM
radiosandmore.com has the kit...

the playlist names dont show up, but the song titles/album names/ artist names of the songs do.

Reed

Hey, as I only put on stuff that I like, there are no BAD songs.. Just shuffle that bad boy and enjoy the sonic clarity.:thumbsup: I havent bothered to hook up the XM wire as the Pod has taken over.

wildwhl
02-27-06, 11:56 PM
All shuffle, all the time. The only songs on my iPod are songs I WANT to hear anyway. I can always skip to the next one.

Reed is right. Aux input = too F'in dangerous for me.

Integration kit is :thumbsup:

Reminds me, I need to find some more $$$ for the .faq

WW

ctsvett
02-28-06, 01:48 AM
Reminds me, I need to find some more $$$ for the .faq

WW

No you dont... you have given WAY WAY WAY too much already....

On topic: For those of you who are like marty and are not going to hook up the red wire to the XM, make sure to disconnect the XM harness so that both the XM and the iPod kit ARE NOT powered on at the same time...

Its in the directions, but its just a reminder for those who may read this.

Reed

nikon
02-28-06, 12:30 PM
No you dont... you have given WAY WAY WAY too much already....

On topic: For those of you who are like marty and are not going to hook up the red wire to the XM, make sure to disconnect the XM harness so that both the XM and the iPod kit ARE NOT powered on at the same time...

Its in the directions, but its just a reminder for those who may read this.

Reed

disconnect the xm harness from the back of the radio? or from the XM module....what is the point of running the wire back to the xm module anyways???

ctsvett
02-28-06, 01:46 PM
Ok, lets see if this helps clear things up:

http://www.clubcts.com/posttemp/ipoddiagram.jpg

By pressing the lower right bottom button on the radio to "switch to xm" this activates the relay in the ipod kit and powers ON/OFF the XM module. Both the XM module and the iPod Kit CANNOT be on the Class II at the same time (it would confuse the system)...

So, if you were NEVER going to use the XM module, you could simply unplug it from its power source and NOT need to run the red wire to the rear of the car. You would NEVER want to press and hold the button to switch to XM however because then your XM band would disappear temporarily until you restarted the car with the iPod kit on.

So the Ipod kit is kinda like a XM module and as far as the car is concerned, they are the same thing. Therefore, they both cannot be powered on at the same time. The iPod kit takes care of this by providing a new power source from the front of the car (hence the red wire) and dealing with the logic of turning them on/off...

Does this make more sense to everyone?

Reed

nikon
02-28-06, 02:13 PM
yes now I understand, thankyou very much did'nt realise how the actual system worked....thankyou for having free time on your hands :worship:

xxxxxxCadiliLovingIt
03-04-06, 11:14 PM
Excellent discussion. Does anyone know if the power switch from the XM module to the Axxess adapter (ipod gizmo) turns off the XM traffic data feed for the navigation system? I find XM traffic essential in San Diego and would hate to lose that while playing my iPod!

Thank you.

ctsvett
03-05-06, 03:24 AM
by nature yes... The entire XM module is turned off so I cant imagine that the XM nav traffic can fucntion without the XM module...

I would suggest that you just switch to xm for a few minutes to get the data and then switch back to the ipod. I dont have nav traffic so i dont know if the nav will store the nav traffic data for a certain period of time, so that might not actually work. I say give it a whirl and let us know.

Reed