: Top Speed Question For Fellow V Owners!

ILoveMyV
02-24-06, 04:55 PM
Hey there,

Quick question for fellow V owners out there. I finally took my V to the desert these past few days and had a very long 75 mile stretch of road that was wide open, so I decided to let the V go and see what it can do. Pretty much my car topped out at 149-150 (kept going back and fourth). I was hitting my rev limiter in 5 gear, and had 1 more gear to go.

It is to my understanding that the V's are goverened at 155mph, or did it change to 150mph in the 2006 models (I have an 06 :))? Further more I thought that when you hit top speed the DIC will pop up a message saying
"Top Speed Limit Reached, Fuel Cutout" or something like that. When I hit 150mph I saw no such DIC message or did I noticibly hear the engine cutout or attempt to hold me back, it just felt like there was no more torque to go.

Just curious about others experience while topping out their V in a SAFE place...

crypto_coyle79
02-24-06, 06:26 PM
well I'm not sure if you would call 495 in maryland safe but..... on chirstmas eve around 10.30 at night with the roads pretty empty I got in a contest to see who could get some where first (not a race mind you) with a late model C5 vette and I got to around the mid 160"s on a nice part that is kind of stright with a down grade and some nice cold DC air. I think the vette must have been a 4speed because I pulled nicely ( but not to far, about 3-4 car langths) after 120 and he was with me for where rt50 hits 495 N all the way to exit 28 which is about 10 miles give or take.:stirpot:

CIWS
02-24-06, 06:31 PM
I've never pushed my car even close to it's speed limiter. However I can tell you that in my 05 (using LS1edit) it is set to 168 MPH. That's probably because the F1s are W rated tires and so it's set to the limit of those tires. In the 06s, most are coming with RSAs on them and they are V rated tires. So again your limiter could be set to 150 to stay in line with the tire rating.

ILoveMyV
02-24-06, 06:34 PM
I've never pushed my car even close to it's speed limiter. However I can tell you that in my 05 (using LS1edit) it is set to 168 MPH. That's probably because the F1s are W rated tires and so it's set to the limit of those tires. In the 06s, most are coming with RSAs on them and they are V rated tires. So again your limiter could be set to 150 to stay in line with the tire rating.

That's was I was thinking. Though I thought the run flats were Z rated? Guess it's time I actually go look at the tire :thepan:. Since the 06 uses the LS2, is there an aftermarket kit that can only raise the top speed limiter, without touching the other settings? I know an ecu reflash will do the trick, but I guess they only do that when the supercharger is installed.

ssmith100
02-24-06, 06:38 PM
Mine was still pulling at 163 on a hot Texas night. Silver is the fastest color though:stirpot:

Shane

CIWS
02-24-06, 07:01 PM
Here's a screenshot of it just so you can see it. :)

http://www.ciws.net/ctsv/speedlimiter.jpg

ILoveMyV
02-24-06, 07:07 PM
Strange, didn't see the picture. I took a very low quality video from my phone of me doing 150mph in my V.... not sure how to get it converted to mpeg but I'll try.

verbs
02-24-06, 07:42 PM
I hit 165 in mine in the middle of nowhere in west TX.

ahahnu
02-24-06, 07:50 PM
You guys down south have the sweetest roads to do this. My local highway is so rutted, I don't like going over 100. My car gets violently thrown from oneside of the lane to another with the ruts in the lanes from trucks. I can imagine rushing down the highway desert blowing by.

thebigjimsho
02-24-06, 09:10 PM
Well, we have probably one of the safest highways in Rt 3 from Burlington to Nashua. I've heard of a V doing 161 on it...

CVP33
02-24-06, 11:11 PM
173mph drag limited.

thebigjimsho
02-25-06, 01:12 AM
No problem, some head and cam work and a new 7200rpm redline, I should be able to hit that in 5th.

ctsvett
02-25-06, 04:13 AM
173mph drag limited.

Well when you drive something with a barn as the front of it, I would expect it to be drag limited... we are computer limited... I wonder what a S/C would really do on a top speed track...

Reed

CIWS
02-25-06, 09:18 AM
we are computer limited...
Reed

Only if we don't have access to something like LS1edit http://www.ciws.net/ctsv/happyhappy.gif

;)

rand49er
02-25-06, 09:39 AM
Well, we have probably one of the safest highways in Rt 3 from Burlington to Nashua. I've heard of a V doing 161 on it...Anybody you know?:highfive:

Too chicken, here. Only did 105 (okay, stop :histeric:), but I've usually got my three-year-old in the back seat. Couldn't believe how stable it was. How does the car feel above 145-150 for you guys?

CVP33
02-25-06, 12:59 PM
Well when you drive something with a barn as the front of it, I would expect it to be drag limited... we are computer limited... I wonder what a S/C would really do on a top speed track...

Reed

Absolutely not true. As big as a town house maybe, but not a freaking barn. How dare you! How dare you sir! :thehand:

Pillboy
02-25-06, 02:20 PM
CTS-V is not electronically limited. Drag limited at 163 per Cadillac.com.

5.7L LS6 V8 Engine
Constructed of lightweight and strong aluminum, the 5.7-liter LS6 V8 is specifically calibrated for the CTS-V. Producing 400-horsepower at 6000 rpm and 395 lb-ft of torque at 4800 rpm, the LS6 V8 propels the CTS-V from 0 to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds and through the quarter mile in 13.1 seconds. On a test track the CTS-V reached 163 mph.

NOCTS-V
02-25-06, 02:27 PM
CVP33 it is possible you could better that 173 drafting behind a good V!

rrmike1
02-25-06, 02:31 PM
I was able to hit 163 with my bone stock V. It had a couple more mph's left, but it was bouncing off the rev-limiter in 5th at that point.

RRMIke1

ILoveMyV
02-25-06, 03:57 PM
The new 2006 CTS-V are governed at 150mph. You hit 149mph in 5th gear right as you start to hit the rev limiter, so you have a whole extra gear to go, but the car is governed and won't let you go any further.

CIWS
02-25-06, 04:05 PM
CTS-V is not electronically limited. Drag limited at 163 per Cadillac.com.

Well if I had to bet between Cadillac.com and what's in my PCM, I'll go with the PCM setting. :)

thebigjimsho
02-25-06, 04:29 PM
If you call hitting the rev-limiter in 5th being electronically limited to 163, then sure, we're limited. But I wasn't aware of any nanny ending the fun there. You just can't accelerate anymore in the ultra-tall 6th.

So I guess all '06 Vs are limited because of the V rated RS-As? Even if the V comes with the optional F1s?

thebigjimsho
02-25-06, 04:30 PM
Oh yeah, the same guy who hit 161 also told me that the V feels very stable at that speed.

rand49er
02-25-06, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah, the same guy who hit 161 also told me that the V feels very stable at that speed.:histeric:

bryce3
02-26-06, 04:18 AM
I hit 163 mph in my '04 completely stock at the time and I must say the car stuck to the road very well. If you have ever driven a big car ('66 Impala) then you know what it feels like to drift in and out of your lane. The V had know such driftting and felt like it was almost glued to the fast lane.

DaveBlk
02-26-06, 11:29 AM
Yah That!!!!!

thebigjimsho
02-26-06, 02:21 PM
yes or know??

lawfive
02-26-06, 07:38 PM
I've never broken 135. My big chance was on I-10 on a road trip to Phoenix. Hit one spot with no traffic ahead and punched it; sure enough as I approached 135 I saw cars way up there and backed off for safety. Never cleared up enough again.

In Phoenix my buddy said that if the staties catch you over 100 MPH, they can not only impound your car but they can also crush it if they choose to. On the way home, I never broke 95.

OldRoadDawg
02-26-06, 10:35 PM
I've never broken 135. My big chance was on I-10 on a road trip to Phoenix. Hit one spot with no traffic ahead and punched it; sure enough as I approached 135 I saw cars way up there and backed off for safety. Never cleared up enough again.
Best time . . I-10 e/b in Calif, east of Chiriaco Summit to Desert Center before 6:30 am. Mininum traffic, daylight but the sun not yet in your eyes, air is still cool. Nearly dead straight for 20 miles, except for the slight kink at Red Cloud Rd. and the long S curve west of Eagle Mtn Rd (use both lanes and the shoulder to maintain 150). The (ahem) all white Camaros will still be behind you in Indio or parked in Blythe. Or so I've been told, . . . but what do I know? I live in PA. :rolleyes:

thebigjimsho
02-26-06, 11:47 PM

In Phoenix my buddy said that if the staties catch you over 100 MPH, they can not only impound your car but they can also crush it if they choose to. On the way home, I never broke 95.My brother and I were crusing through AZ in the early morning, heading from LA to Miami. We went by a Statie doing 82 in a 70. He hit us with instant-on. He told us we were going fast enough to be arrested. I explained to him my brother was young and dumb and he was just listening to me telling him to go a little more than 10 over. He was kind enough to let us go with a warning.

NH Vrod
02-27-06, 08:33 AM
I was also able to hit 163 in 5th gear just touching off the rev limiter.. Oh ya, I am also bone stock!!

Kidhummer
02-27-06, 07:54 PM
if our car is governed at 151 can the dealer reflash the pcm?

Rich H
02-27-06, 11:23 PM
If you are a mile high in altitude you don't have to worry about exceeding 150 mph because you can't suck enough air into the intake without a SC to worry about it. V rated tires (all season or snow tires of course) do just fine here in Denver. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Kidhummer
02-27-06, 11:26 PM
My car is governed at 151...I feel cheated lol

CTSVONFIRE
02-28-06, 03:13 PM
2004 168 MPH the motor is starving for oil. 175 mph is top speed

thebigjimsho
02-28-06, 04:53 PM
2004 168 MPH the motor is starving for oil. 175 mph is top speedHuh???

CIWS
02-28-06, 05:53 PM
if our car is governed at 151 can the dealer reflash the pcm?

Unlikely a dealership would, although I won't say it's impossible. If you want someone to change that setting you'll probably need to go the route of a custom PCM tune.

CTSVONFIRE
03-01-06, 03:05 PM
Man 151 would stink. At 151 I'm still pullin strong but not ahead of my buddies CBR 600 RR

Kidhummer
03-01-06, 03:34 PM
well I have a tuned 2005 gsxr-1000 for when I want to go 200 MPH +..But I want the governor off my car anyway.

blackonblackonblack
03-01-06, 04:22 PM
I was racing a Kleeman supercharged C55 back from SEMA on I-15. We both pulled over at a gas station as we were both suprised by the whining sounds coming from underneath both of our hoods. We found a nice straight road in the middle of nowhere and gave each other rides. I only got the V up to 155-6? The car was just waiting for me to give it permission to accelerate faster but the eibach's disagreed. It did not feel solid enough to me. However, the c55 went up to 163 and felt very stable...too bad it was an auto.

obzidian
03-01-06, 06:12 PM
you can remove the governor or set it to 299mph if you wish.... but im sure some one will still complain about that...

"I want it off, not moved...... I can still hit that!!!!"

Also, our O/D 6th gear is not rated for such speeds. I think the most you can hit in 6th is 120-130 without hurting it. (dont't quote me on this one) %th gear is your top gear and you should never shift in to 6th at that speed.

SoFlaV
03-02-06, 12:29 AM
Hit 155mph on the Florida Turnpike soon after buying my V, stock with bald runflats. It had more to go, but started getting squirrely at that speed.

DaveBlk
03-02-06, 12:34 AM
Don't try any high speed runs in Arizona. Got a call from a good freind of my wifes who is teaching in Las Vegas. She was doing 93 in a rental car and got nabbed on here way to a convention on Friday. She was arested and had to put $250 bail down till her court appearance.:eek:

thebigjimsho
03-02-06, 12:59 AM
Don't try any high speed runs in Arizona. Got a call from a good freind of my wifes who is teaching in Las Vegas. She was doing 93 in a rental car and got nabbed on here way to a convention on Friday. She was arested and had to put $250 bail down till her court appearance.:eek:Some night driving with a light-kill switch and nightvision goggles can help avoid that, all Jackie Chan-like...

M5eatr
03-02-06, 11:26 AM
I had a top speed run on an early Sunday morning last year. I have an ’04, bone stock. It was a straight three lane superslab, in between two exits and I did a northbound scout and did the turnaround and was already doing about 80 from the onramp to the southbound side, so I had the momentum. I was prepared to get up there quickly to avoid being arrested to bring it back down before the next exit. I wasn't thinking about loosing control, even though that should have been my primary concern thinking back. But I banged through the gears quickly and I let off because I felt I was going very fast, with the sound of the engine, the whistling from the roof, and the white lines looking solid, I felt it was enough and I had no idea what rpm’s were. I got off the gas, quickly looked down and the speedo was reading 167. I let the car coast a few seconds because I didn’t want to cause any sudden inputs that would cause me to basically die. I braked gradually and all the time the car was very stable. Would I do it again? Probably not, as it is something that is stupid on public roads.

I can say one thing though, The car didn’t feel like it was laboring while accelerating, it still had me pushed back in the seat which lead me to believe that the car still had more in it. Maybe it was the inertia, the slight grade of the road, I don’t know. I use sixth on the highway and I can accelerate in it, so in my mind, you could probably get a few more mph out of it, if all governors, and limiters are disabled in my opinion and on a closed course.

CIWS
03-02-06, 11:37 AM
M5eatr - Just to clarify, were you in 6th gear when you were up about 160+ ?

ILoveMyV
03-03-06, 06:49 PM
Okay well then this sucks, as I hit 151mph in 5th gear, right as I start to hit the rev limiter. So even if I took the govner off, I probably would have a hard time going much faster as I lose all the power in 6th gear.

They must have changed the gearing in the 06 CTS-V, as there is NO WAY possible I could hit 160+ in 5th gear without hitting 7,500+ RPM's...

-Ryan

Kidhummer
03-03-06, 06:57 PM
u can hit it in 6th thats what its there for..

thebigjimsho
03-04-06, 04:34 PM
u can hit it in 6th thats what its there for..6th is there for fuel economy.

obzidian
03-04-06, 05:30 PM
u can hit it in 6th thats what its there for..

you dont want to hit 6th gear in an WOT situation. ITs there for fuel economy and cruising ONLY. You drive though it, throttle more than 20%tps but i wouldn't recommend doing it under 1500rpm.

you will hurt the trans, its not ment for that. 6th gear is an O/D gear and its not built to take the friction/heat/velocity like the rest of the non-O/D gears.

I understand that we always want more than 150-160 isnt enough for some of us, but when will you REALLY be at that level of speed?

atdeneve
03-04-06, 06:16 PM
Am I missing something here? Isn't 5th gear an overdrive gear as well; 4th is 1:1, no? Are we not supposed to give more than 20% throttle on 6th gear? What?

Rich H
03-04-06, 11:48 PM
you dont want to hit 6th gear in an WOT situation. ITs there for fuel economy and cruising ONLY. You drive though it, throttle more than 20%tps but i wouldn't recommend doing it under 1500rpm.

you will hurt the trans, its not ment for that. 6th gear is an O/D gear and its not built to take the friction/heat/velocity like the rest of the non-O/D gears.

I understand that we always want more than 150-160 isnt enough for some of us, but when will you REALLY be at that level of speed?

What is this?? You don't use 6th gear at less than 1500 rpm. You use it when you're on the highway at cruising speed above 70 mph. And if you're moving at 160 mph the rpm is likely at least 6000-6500 (I wouldn't know exactly since I've only been to 135 in 6th). If our famous T-56 tranny can't take WOT at 6000 rpm in 6th gear it doesn't belong in this car.

Actually it doesn't belong in this car for various other reasons primarily due to the shifter IMO - but I would hope that GM has done their homework well enough so that the tranny is geared correctly.