: Your Garage

SoCadillac
02-24-06, 12:49 PM
I was wondering with this crowd whether anyone here has their garage done up with lifts and the like. I have seen some pretty nice garages where the owners had lifts and the garage was as nice, if not nicer than the house. Any pics from those who have done up their garage? In our next residence, I would like the three bay double-loaded garage scheme that I am starting to see crop-up here in SoCal. Thanks.

ctsvett
02-24-06, 02:27 PM
I have been itching to get a lift, but I dont have the room... in any new house I buy it will be a must!

CTSjerry has a pretty amazing garage I hear (I have not been there yet). IT was written up in magazines because of the amount of memorabilia he has.

Reed

SoCadillac
02-24-06, 03:00 PM
CTSjerry has a pretty amazing garage I hear (I have not been there yet). IT was written up in magazines because of the amount of memorabilia he has.

Reed
Would love to see it with the V in it! The best garage I've seen was a real sleeper as the house resided on a grade, and the garage was about half a level down the side of the house, but the roof of the garage was the same height as the house. The garage doors were all taller to match the height of the house, but when you opened them he had piston floor lifts inside. I want a lift, but not the piston style and will probably have to work with the builder to get the height needed to really pull it off.

DansCTSV
02-24-06, 04:16 PM
When I built my addition which included a four car garage (2 wide x 2 deep), I had it built with 10 ft doors and 12 foot ceilings. I just haven't been able to justify getting a lift yet.

I plan to finish the garage at some point and install a lift. I would like to see pics as well to get ideas.

trukk
02-24-06, 05:04 PM
I hear Marty has a lift, and has a nice setup. I need to get over there one day.

My garage is DOPE YO. Al kinds of cool plastic things in it, in all the primary colors! Yes I have little kids who's $hit has completely filled up my 2 car garage.

-Chris

'DOPE YO', wow I'm dating myself. I guess I should use that thar new yung kid speek:

"My kids have Mirked-up my garage space" (sorry FLA04, couldn't resist).

ssmith100
02-24-06, 07:10 PM
Here some pics of my garage post cleanup after one of Urbanski's many messes. His would be the "slower color" black one on the right.

Shane

ewill3rd
02-24-06, 10:35 PM
I have 3 nice 2 post above ground asymmetrical lifts at work.
Rarely do any of them not have something on them.

I don't touch my cars at home.
Only at work. No need for one here :D

Jschmank
02-24-06, 10:48 PM
I have a detached two car garage housing just my stuff (wife and kids stuff is in a two garage attached garage). No lifts, but great stereo, lots of tools and my 69 442 and 05 CTS V to admire and tinker with. Life is good.

CTSV05
02-24-06, 10:58 PM
You guys are liteweights!!

2 buildings, one 24x45 lift......hot and cold water, gas furnace, drain in floor. Other is 30x80 office, paint booth, heat, a/c, satelite tv and tunes, no water tho, no lift. Oh both have over 400 watt stereos too. :):):)

Ask jspridge, dannystang and stkshr or something..lol

SoCadillac
02-24-06, 11:03 PM

2 buildings, one 24x45 lift......hot and cold water, gas furnace, drain in floor. Other is 30x80 office, paint booth, heat, a/c, satelite tv and tunes, no water tho, no lift. Oh both have over 400 watt stereos too. :):):)

So whens the party, and what should we bring?

Florian
02-24-06, 11:13 PM
400 watt? you get that out of a 68 Beetle?

F

lasstss
02-25-06, 12:17 AM

Hey isnt that Jay Leno's garage...:highfive:

I just have a 2 car garage with a high bay and a lift. Ill post a pic tomorrow but I will have to dump some stuff. I dont have any more room here for pictures.

Falkolade
02-25-06, 12:30 AM
5 car garage, looks like a three car from the street but two of the spots go back double, only put 4 cars in there though, v, escalade, h3, and my dads 67 vette... it has hot cold water, gas heater, sewer in the floor so i can wash my cars in the winter, i love my garage, i keep it cleaner than any room in the house

wildwhl
02-25-06, 01:01 AM
3 car garage, with racedeck flooring and only enough room for the wife's car and the V (blame kids, motorcycles, and my other hobby that's almost as bad as the V - model airplanes).

Real mods happens at the 11,000 sq ft shop though, until I completely fill it with printing gear (about another 3 months). I used to dream of putting a 4 post lift at work so I could putz around on my cars. There will never be room now.

Oh yeah. The print shop has full racedeck flooring too (nice b&w checkerboard in some areas, a lot of dark graphite, etc.). That stuff is pretty cool...me likey. Sears has their own version in Craftsman colors for like $2.50 sq ft (racedeck is over $3) if anyone is interested. Goes down in minutes.

WW

SoCadillac
02-25-06, 01:37 AM
...with racedeck flooring

WW
How does the RaceDeck flooring holdup in the case of your motorcycle's kickstand (even with a pad underneath), floor jack, jack stands, etc.?

ctsvett
02-25-06, 03:16 AM
3 car garage, with racedeck flooring and only enough room for the wife's car and the V (blame kids, motorcycles, and my other hobby that's almost as bad as the V - model airplanes).

Real mods happens at the 11,000 sq ft shop though, until I completely fill it with printing gear (about another 3 months). I used to dream of putting a 4 post lift at work so I could putz around on my cars. There will never be room now.

Oh yeah. The print shop has full racedeck flooring too (nice b&w checkerboard in some areas, a lot of dark graphite, etc.). That stuff is pretty cool...me likey. Sears has their own version in Craftsman colors for like $2.50 sq ft (racedeck is over $3) if anyone is interested. Goes down in minutes.

WW

How is the craftsman stuff wild?

Reed

turbojimmy
02-25-06, 04:51 AM
I have 3 nice 2 post above ground asymmetrical lifts at work.
Rarely do any of them not have something on them.

I don't touch my cars at home.
Only at work. No need for one here :D

Mine's your standard (tight) 2-car garage attached to my house. It's tucked under the living space so there's little flexibility for expansion unless I want to remodel the whole fargin house. But I do have height. I was thinking about a 4-post lift mostly for parking (the Caddy would fit under the GN) but it wouldn't hurt to have one for when I'm working on the cars. I'm not a teenager anymore so rolling around on cold concrete leaves me hurtin' the next day. Yeah, that's it...medicinal purposes. I need to bounce that one off the wife....

Jim

CIWS
02-25-06, 08:36 AM
I lease a 1 car garage from the Apt complex. Just enough room for the V and a few other small things. :)

fig32
02-25-06, 08:38 AM
Well guys, I figure I might as well post a pic of my garage. I hope its not too big. A silver V will be calling this garage home very soon. I can tell you that a lift makes servicing your own car much easier. I am in Central NJ and if anyone wants to get their car up on the lift just let me know. I have helped out several Vette friends and look forward to helping out some V friends. Mi Garage es su garage:)

Mark
http://homepage.mac.com/fig32/.Pictures/Photo%20Album%20Pictures/2005-09-03%2011.25.44%20-0700/Image-CEA15C2A1CA711DA.jpg

rand49er
02-25-06, 08:56 AM
Three-car garage here ... typical in suburbia with wife's Rainier, lawn tractor, and about a hundred things hanging from the ceiling to utilize the third dimension. Oh, BTW, got room for the V, too.

Boy, do I envy you guys with lifts :worship: ... did my Corsa when it was 25 degrees out a few weeks back, and was that floor COLD! Gonna wait for at least a 45 degree day to do headers.

CIWS
02-25-06, 09:00 AM
Well guys, I figure I might as well post a pic of my garage.
Mark

Nice layout (and cars) Mark. Now I know who to call if I travel up to N.J. and need a lift ;)

Hope you get a V soon to add to the collection.

wildwhl
02-25-06, 11:10 AM
fig32 wins - beautiful.

I haven't tried the Craftsman stuff, Reed, but I think it is the same thing. They just are able to sell it cheaper than most places.

We drive forklifts on iit at work. Motorcycle sidestand no problem - pad isn't necessary. Jackstands and jacks can dent the floor, but not too bad. There are two styles - open so dirt/water can get through and closed (solid). The solid is stronger, but the open makes it easier to keep the floor clean. Once a year roll it up (or pop some of it up) and blow out - or - shop vac the debris out from the openings in the floor.

I'll snap a pic of my disaster of a garage today...maybe ;)

WW

fig32
02-25-06, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys! I completly redid my garage last year just to accomodate the lift.

I am sending out a deposit check this week for a forum members V. Harley Guy is going to graciously store the car until the spring when I can make some room in my garage for the V. I will drive out to him and pick it up.

I will soon be a full member of the forum and look forward to helping anyone out in NJ with the use of my garage. The nice thing about the V is I do not see very many here in NJ at all.

Mark

Z06CTSV
02-25-06, 10:30 PM
Hi,

I have a 5 car garage, a two double and a single where my babies are. One up on a cradle.

Joe,
New Orleans

Z06CTSV
02-25-06, 10:44 PM
I forgot a pic....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2138&d=1083382934

BowenCT
02-26-06, 12:13 PM
I forgot a pic....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2138&d=1083382934

:worship: Sick, Brother!

ahahnu
02-26-06, 12:22 PM
mmmm lifts. Mark, I'll be seeing you soon!

wildwhl
02-26-06, 01:05 PM
z06CTSV -

That is so f'in sweet dude...I'm jealous. Can't do a lift in my garage without removing my son's rooms ;)

What brand lift is that and how much $$$?

You guys have now ruined my summer. Wife thinks she wants to move, and now I KNOW I need a taller ceiling garage to have a lift...crap...and to think I was going to go back into flying model planes and start tracking the V...crap...:nono:

WW

SoCadillac
02-26-06, 01:12 PM
z06CTSV -

That is so f'in sweet dude...I'm jealous. Can't do a lift in my garage without removing my son's rooms ;)

What brand lift is that and how much $$$?

You guys have now ruined my summer. Wife thinks she wants to move, and now I KNOW I need a taller ceiling garage to have a lift...crap...and to think I was going to go back into flying model planes and start tracking the V...crap...:nono:

WW
A friend of mine built essentially a shrine above his garage to a certain motorcycle that he has about twenty of (the count revolves). When he designed this space, he made it so a lift would take a motorcycle to the second floor where he literally puts the model he wants on display up on pedestal. Pretty neat concept, and the shrine is complete with a bar, pool table, restroom, entertainment area, and a ton of memorabilia.

lasstss
02-26-06, 01:33 PM
my attempt.

turbojimmy
02-26-06, 01:49 PM
z06CTSV -

You can do this:

http://aclifts.com/parking/PSS-7.asp

I thought that was really cool. The car drops down and you put another one on top. No one knows there's another car underneath.

Jim

turbojimmy
02-26-06, 01:52 PM
I can tell you that a lift makes servicing your own car much easier.

What made you choose the Revolution brand over anything else you'd looked at? Anything you don't like about it? A lot of people sell them these days and I'm not sure how to choose.

Thanks,
Jim

lawfive
02-26-06, 03:44 PM
Next house, maybe.

Hmmm... where's Dennis? Must not have seen this thread yet. C'mon, need to see the pix with the lift, the Vettes, the GN, and the V.

Dreamin
02-26-06, 05:54 PM
...not mine...

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/Garage2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/Garage1.jpg

DaveBlk
02-26-06, 06:08 PM
DAMN I need to get the plans!!!!!!!:worship:

DaveBlk
02-26-06, 06:14 PM
Could someone tell me who makes the jack under the vette in the previous photo and how to get one?

fig32
02-26-06, 06:30 PM
Jim,
The lift in my garage is made by Rotary. I researched lifts and felt they had the best quality of construction. I have a link that compares lifts if you would like it. Also the place I bought my Vette from and the Mercedes dealer both had shops full of Rotary lifts. They felt they were superior and that was enough for me. They are more expensive but I felt it was worth it. I don't plan on buying another lift anytime soon.

Mark

Dreamin
02-26-06, 07:42 PM
Could someone tell me who makes the jack under the vette in the previous photo and how to get one?

That lift is a Snap-On. Super expensive. You can get similar, quality lifts for much cheaper.

I have a Mohawk HR-6 lift. Love it. http://www.mohawklifts.com/consumer/hr6.php

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/lift5.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/Vlift.jpg

lasstss
02-26-06, 08:05 PM
DAMN I need to get the plans!!!!!!!:worship:

Needs a stove and a dishwasher. Where's the maid?:confused:

ctsvett
02-26-06, 08:22 PM
Fig,
Can you post that link that compares lifts? I think I may be interested...

Dreamin,
Is the V sturdy on that lift? Can you get to the tranny and driveline or do you need a 2/4 poster?

hmm... damn you all for making me think about this again!

Reed

turbojimmy
02-26-06, 08:22 PM
Jim,
The lift in my garage is made by Rotary. I researched lifts and felt they had the best quality of construction. I have a link that compares lifts if you would like it. Also the place I bought my Vette from and the Mercedes dealer both had shops full of Rotary lifts. They felt they were superior and that was enough for me. They are more expensive but I felt it was worth it. I don't plan on buying another lift anytime soon.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I googled it and found that it was a Rotary product. They're the household name in lifts. I requested some literature from them. Your garage is about the same size as mine. You apparently have a 16 foot door which is nice, I have two 8 foot doors which makes things a little harder - I have to rearrange my opener and door rails. I drive the GN so infrequently that I'd like to get it up out of the way. Plus it would be so much easier to work on it if I could put it up at eye-level.

Jim

Dreamin
02-26-06, 09:12 PM
Dreamin,
Is the V sturdy on that lift? Can you get to the tranny and driveline or do you need a 2/4 poster?

Yes it's sturdy... never left uncomfortable being under the car.

Here's a few shot of underside access on my Z06... i'll take some pics of the underside of the V. (Yes, that's me)

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/lift2.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/lift3.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/lift4.jpg

And measurements to verify it'll fit in your garage :lildevil:
http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/lift0.jpg

Staxxin
02-26-06, 09:27 PM
Dreamin, who's the lift made by?

Dreamin
02-26-06, 09:28 PM
Dreamin, who's the lift made by?

lasstss
02-26-06, 09:30 PM
FYI. For anyone looking. I have an Autolifters lift. Built in Kansas. The company went belly up as they couldnt compete with the jap and Korean stuff.
The former employees have reopend and are selling the product.
http://www.allamericanlifts.com/4post.html

As far as I am concerned, this is the best 4 poster you can buy. I did a lot of research on lifts before I settled on this one. They use a full box tube with a full over box at all 4 corners. No channels, spreading or any of that other nonense. Full access below& powdercoated. Check it out.

GTO4, I just found this tonight, didnt know they were back in operation.

If any of you are looking to get all of that junk off the ceiling for more height. Get a Wayne Dalton.

Staxxin
02-26-06, 09:33 PM

Thanks!!!!

fig32
02-27-06, 08:56 AM
Thanks Mark! I googled it and found that it was a Rotary product. They're the household name in lifts. I requested some literature from them. Your garage is about the same size as mine. You apparently have a 16 foot door which is nice, I have two 8 foot doors which makes things a little harder - I have to rearrange my opener and door rails. I drive the GN so infrequently that I'd like to get it up out of the way. Plus it would be so much easier to work on it if I could put it up at eye-level.

Jim

Jim,
I tried the link I have for lifts and it is no longer in use. I will check another forum and see if I can find where he hosts it now. I used to have 2 doors but ripped the front of the garage off and changed it to 1 big door. It is also taller than the average door which helps. My wife approved the lift purchase but little did she know what I had to do to the garage to accomodate the lift:D
I also had a larger radius track put in and the door opens up very tight to the ceiling. It is within 10 inches of the top and provides just enough room for the 2 cars. The garage door opener is now in the center out of the way and all is well. It really worked out great!

Mark

DansCTSV
02-27-06, 09:30 AM
Seems like a lot of you guys have 4 post lifts. Do you like those better? I have 12 foot ceilings and was planning on getting a 2 post asymmetrical lift. Do you think the 4 post lifts are a better way to go? What do you do when you want to do brake or suspension work? I suppose maybe you could use really tall jack stands? Thoughts?

turbojimmy
02-27-06, 10:08 AM
My wife approved the lift purchase but little did she know what I had to do to the garage to accomodate the lift:D

My wife likes to rip the mirrors off her van while backing out of the 8-foot doors. Moving to a 16' door would help that, too. I do have a column in the center of the garage, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I've been thinking about this for years. Maybe I'll actually pull the trigger one of these days. I'm pretty much land-locked so it's the only option for more storage.

Thanks for the info.

Jim

Dreamin
02-27-06, 04:40 PM
[quote]What do you do when you want to do brake or suspension work?[/quote What's exactly the issue with 4 post lifts. You have the extra step of jacking the car up when it's already up on the lift to remove the wheels.

lasstss
02-27-06, 05:16 PM
Seems like a lot of you guys have 4 post lifts. Do you like those better? I have 12 foot ceilings and was planning on getting a 2 post asymmetrical lift. Do you think the 4 post lifts are a better way to go? What do you do when you want to do brake or suspension work? I suppose maybe you could use really tall jack stands? Thoughts?

You can do a lot more with any part of the car as the treads act like work areas. 2 post lifts require a bigger concrete base due to concentrated load. You also have to lag them to the floor, they are not self supporting.
With the 4 post you have to use a jack tray and a small bottle jack.
No big deal. You cannot do suspension work with a 2 post. (not easily).

Dennisscars
02-27-06, 09:23 PM
...not mine...

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/Garage1.jpg
OMG!!!! :worship:you win!

Damn it wild... Thunderhill... April.....

Dennisscars
02-27-06, 09:25 PM
Hmmm... where's Dennis? Must not have seen this thread yet. C'mon, need to see the pix with the lift, the Vettes, the GN, and the V.

Not after Dreamin' stepped on all our wieners...

Mine's a double park.
http://www.doublepark.net/

Here's what I wish....

http://www.doublepark.net/images/kra5.jpg

turbojimmy
02-28-06, 06:06 AM
Not after Dreamin' stepped on all our wieners...

Mine's a double park.
http://www.doublepark.net/

Here's what I wish....

http://www.doublepark.net/images/kra5.jpg

Looks like someone is a Slopar fan. Why would you have 4 Prowlers? Sure that's not a dealership or something?

Jim

Dennisscars
02-28-06, 10:03 AM
Nah... don't really care for those cars, viper maybe. The reason I have 10 cars is because I don't have room for 20....someday... someday..

Dooman
02-28-06, 04:04 PM
OMG!!!! :worship:you win!

Damn it wild... Thunderhill... April.....

"not mine.." he said...

Dennisscars
02-28-06, 09:50 PM
... not mine... but someday shall be..
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/04/bmwm605_14_800.jpg
1 week after Stealth[M] can tune it...

Dreamin
02-28-06, 09:53 PM
:2thumbs:

Dooman
03-01-06, 08:04 AM
The worst part is the cabinets shown in that garage look almost identical to my kitchen ones that MY WIFE HATES.. I never thought a kitchen remodel could have a 'benefit' to my garage. And I will not have to pay for disposal.. Hmmmm...

10secvette
03-01-06, 09:54 AM
If anyone is seriously considering a 4 poster in S. Cal., let's see about a small group buy???? It's worth a shot.

Corvette forum had a great compo sheet on lifts. I'll check, although the search sucks on that board.

DansCTSV
03-01-06, 10:36 AM
If anyone is seriously considering a 4 poster in S. Cal., let's see about a small group buy???? It's worth a shot.

Corvette forum had a great compo sheet on lifts. I'll check, although the search sucks on that board.

Why limit the group buy to S. Cal. They will ship them anywhere. I am going to be buying a lift very soon. I was going to go with a 2 post asymmetrical lift but I am now leaning more towards a four post lift. I like the fact that they are free standing and have caster so you can move it if necessary. I just need to find a good solution for jacking the car without having to spend thousands on a swivel air jack.

10secvette
03-01-06, 10:48 AM
Why limit the group buy to S. Cal. They will ship them anywhere. I am going to be buying a lift very soon..

That works for me!:thumbsup:

ctsvett
03-01-06, 12:29 PM
I am in socal and thinking of a scissor lift type....

Reed

SoCadillac
03-01-06, 12:45 PM

Reed
I love the idea for the space efficiency, but when the 7.0+ quake comes knockin' I don't want to be under that jack with it rockin'. Actually, I don't want to be in the State either around that time.

10secvette
03-04-06, 01:10 AM
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1313014&forum_id=86

Some more options...

lasstss
03-04-06, 10:47 AM

Reed

Reed, I had a scizzr lift, fine for wheels & tires. You cant get at the center of the car or the exhaust.
GEt a 4 poster & limit the lift.

turbojimmy
03-04-06, 10:58 AM
I saw in that Corvette thread that there was at least one guy using a 2-post lift for storage. I'm not sure I want the car hanging by the frame for extended periods of time - does it matter? I like the idea of a 2-post lift for suspension and other work (particularly if I ever have to drop the engine/trans out the bottom of the Caddy).

The 4-post gives you full access to the underside, though. I'd be using it mostly for storage and work on the GN where full access to the underside would be beneficial.

Jim

CAT DR
03-06-06, 05:32 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/jwissmann/DSC00123.jpg

CAT DR
03-06-06, 05:33 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/jwissmann/DSC00127.jpg

CAT DR
03-06-06, 05:33 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e109/jwissmann/DSC00125.jpg

CAT DR
03-06-06, 05:34 AM