: 04 EXT Front end Bearing Howl

EXTadic
02-24-06, 12:36 PM
From my limited knowledge of GM's AWD system I can't localize the origin of the sound but it seems to be comming from the front end or transfer case. I can hear it most at about 45mph when come off the throttle,when the load is transfered from accel to decel. It sounds like the ring and pinion carrier bearing preload wasn't set correctly. This truck has onder 30k mi, is anyone else experiencing similar issues? I'm obviously going to take it in to the dealer,I just wanted to get some feedback from other members as to how common this problem is..
Thanks..

jrs05caddyext
02-24-06, 12:41 PM
:welcome:

EXTadic
02-24-06, 12:58 PM
Thanks,glad to be here

hcvone
02-24-06, 01:41 PM
I would check or have checked the fluid level in the front diff, many owners including myseflf have low fluid level from the factory, I know if I had not checked mine at first oil change I would have burnt up the front diff a long time ago.

MKTAXMAN
02-24-06, 01:54 PM
I had the exact same problem. The dealer replaced my front differential 3 weeks ago. Since then the noise has disappeared.

EXTadic
02-24-06, 03:09 PM
I may be mistaken, but isn't this the same diff design since the late 80's when the CV joint front end first came out? What gives? As I have spoken to some GM techs I hear it is a fairly common problem on AWD Cadi's and denali's. And not very common on 4wd models,even though the front parts are the same.

ewill3rd
02-24-06, 10:04 PM
The front diff in Escalade has a redesigned bearing adjuster.
This adjuster sets the preload for the front diff case side bearings.
The adjuster is prone to losing the locking tab, the adjuster backs off and preload is lost. This can cause premature failure of some components in the diff. Not saying this is your problem but I have heard of it in the past.

I would definitely take it in for service.
It's probably in the front diff. Transfer case failures are quite rare.
I think that has a Borg Warner AWD transfer case in it.

bmacwhi
02-27-06, 03:15 PM
Just noticed the front end howl as you describe on my wife's 2004 ESV. 15K miles under factory warranty. Sounds like a known problem,taking it into the dealer this week. Anyone else know if there's a Service Bulletin or TSB out on this issue?

slk230mb
02-27-06, 04:14 PM
The front diff in Escalade has a redesigned bearing adjuster.
This adjuster sets the preload for the front diff case side bearings.
The adjuster is prone to losing the locking tab, the adjuster backs off and preload is lost. This can cause premature failure of some components in the diff. Not saying this is your problem but I have heard of it in the past.

I would definitely take it in for service.
It's probably in the front diff. Transfer case failures are quite rare.
I think that has a Borg Warner AWD transfer case in it.

I had a transfer case failure, still don't know what caused it, but it's all better now.

caddycruiser
02-27-06, 05:17 PM
Strangely enough, my mother's Suburban has had the EXACT same issue under the same conditions almost since day one. The difference? It's 2wd and there's no extra front drive components to be causing the howling...so I've always wondered what the heck is causing it.

Just like described, sort of a high pitched, but not overly loud, howl when going from accel to decel around the 35-55 range...but it's never bugged her enough to take it in. Drives me crazy, but I wonder being a 2wd what the heck might be wrong, especially since there's apparently so many AWD versions with the same kind of noise from the front diff.:cookoo:

EXTadic
02-28-06, 07:40 PM
Just got it back and was told that the noise has become a fairly common problem with many Gm trucks. So common that the dealer carries a bunch of diffs on hand. It was in and out within 3 hours. Hard to believe they replaced the diff within 3 hours but the noise is gone.

caddycruiser
02-28-06, 10:14 PM
Just got it back and was told that the noise has become a fairly common problem with many Gm trucks. So common that the dealer carries a bunch of diffs on hand. It was in and out within 3 hours. Hard to believe they replaced the diff within 3 hours but the noise is gone.

I wonder what the heck the howling is on our 2wd with NO front diff...:cookoo:

ewill3rd
03-01-06, 06:52 AM
You could have a bad ring and pinon gearset.
Usually depending on which side of the teeth get possible damage on them you'll hear noise on either light acceleration or light deceleration.
There is a "drive side" and a "coast side" to each gear.
Some noise is normal, but if it's really bad have it checked.

Glad to hear you got your front diff taken care of EXT