: Will be purchasing '02 6.0L Escalade

Trailblazin'
02-23-06, 10:53 PM
Well I won't be buying this, but my dad certainly will....just wanted to ask some questions before handing over the cash as in what are the major problems to look out for as in noises, feel of steering wheel etc. The reason I have said these two, is because I know the escalade has rear suspension, when we switched on the car, there was a noise in the rear coming from the air suspension area, is this a major problem or could it easily be fixed???

Also since my dad was too busy at work, i took the escalade for a test drive and felt the steering wheel move, ie. when it was in centre position i could still feel it trying to move left and right, could alignment fix this problem up??

Soon as he buys it, I will be buying an exhaust system to go along with the car and maybe an intake just so he can feel and hear the power of an american V8. His previous car was a Jeep Cherokee inline6, so this is a big step for him....

plz any information you guys can provide would be really appreciated thanks!

Rolex
02-23-06, 11:58 PM
The noise from the rear end after start up is the compressor filling the air suspension. It's normal load leveling and won't require any repair. The more weight you put in the cargo area, the longer the pump will run to level out the load....generally.

If the wheel is pulling strongly in one direction I'd recomend having the front end examined closely before buying. If it is pulling in both directions as you indicate it's unlikely that the alignment is out IMO. Perhaps crappy roads? I recomend having the wheels rotated and balanced before wasting money on a front end alignment, and if there's any question you can have a dealer serviceman or a Firestone dealer give the vehicle an inspection prior to purchase. I would pay to have an inspection and consider the expense a cheap insurance policy.

Good luck.

slk230mb
02-23-06, 11:59 PM
The noise from the rear is completely normal - it's the compressor for the rear air suspension. For the front end, have the suspension components checked for wear, then an alignment and tire balance. For exhaust, go Corsa, for intake, Volant.

Trailblazin'
02-26-06, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the replies! The steering does go in both directions so hopefully it should be just alignment....we're buying the escalade off my cousin and he doesn't smoke, doesn't speed (he has a son) and takes great car of his car, so i'm sure there's no major damaged done to the suspension components due to an accident....

with regard to the air compressor, does it normally sound really loud, i mean inside the car you hardly hear it, but outside you hear it ALOT....it kinda sounds like one of those portable air compressors u buy to fill up your tires.... ahh well, in a couple days we should have the car....first mod i think will either be an intake or since I'm getting one for my car, a Westers Tune.....I've heard GREAT reviews about them

Rolex
02-26-06, 05:40 PM
with regard to the air compressor, does it normally sound really loud, i mean inside the car you hardly hear it, but outside you hear it ALOT....it kinda sounds like one of those portable air compressors u buy to fill up your tires

Yup, sounds normal to me. You described my Escalade to a tee. No worries! :thumbsup:

manny5700
02-27-06, 01:08 PM
I thought the exact same thing when i got my 02 in may of 05. "what the hell is that noise" but YES it is normal.

integline
02-27-06, 10:18 PM
what is a Westers Tune.....