: Crank, no start - Crank Shaft Position Sensor question

sirmqc
02-23-06, 09:28 PM
The quick question is: will a bad Crank Shaft Position Sensor set the check engine light - definitely/probably/maybe/maybe not/no way???

The Cat will crank, but not start. I can pull the battery cable for a few hours and it starts back up. When its not starting, there is no spark from the plugs, but the fuel pump is working. Previously it would take some extra cranking or waiting awhile and it would start; now its all or none.

I suspect the Crank Sensor because of other posts I've read - I was going to get the part from Autozone, but the guy told a bad CPS would set the engine light and that I'd be wasting my $70 - thanks to Autozone for being honest by the way. So thats why I'm asking the question.

Any other suggestions for a possible cause? The car runs perfect when it starts.

I'll update when I figure something out. Thanks!

caberts1
02-24-06, 12:36 PM
It is possible that it is the crankposition sensor. I just replaced mine and it was similar to yours I had to crank it more before it would start after wich it it would run ruff for a minute than run fine, but when it got hot it quit. I would let it cool down and it would than start up. For your and everybody elses info, I went to a chevy dealer and ordered a new one and found out that Delco makes a replacement part for it and it was $50. The funny thing was when I opened it, it was the Bosch part and they just repacked it. They told me the Bosch part was $108. Delco is doing this on a lot of Catera parts so watch if there is a Delco part available buy it. Hope I could Help.

sirmqc
02-24-06, 12:43 PM
So you never got a check engine light, I guess?

Glad you got yours going again - hopefully thats all I need:)

gixxer_751
02-24-06, 12:53 PM
what my car did was, on occasion, it would just shut off and would usually start right up.......eventually, the car took longer cranks to start.. when it started it would run fine but couldn't risk the wife and kids to be stranded, so changed it out (pretty easy)

TB Prince
03-01-06, 04:18 PM
The quick question is: will a bad Crank Shaft Position Sensor set the check engine light - definitely/probably/maybe/maybe not/no way???

The Cat will crank, but not start. I can pull the battery cable for a few hours and it starts back up. When its not starting, there is no spark from the plugs, but the fuel pump is working. Previously it would take some extra cranking or waiting awhile and it would start; now its all or none.

I suspect the Crank Sensor because of other posts I've read - I was going to get the part from Autozone, but the guy told a bad CPS would set the engine light and that I'd be wasting my $70 - thanks to Autozone for being honest by the way. So thats why I'm asking the question.

Any other suggestions for a possible cause? The car runs perfect when it starts.

I'll update when I figure something out. Thanks!

I was told by the service department of a Cadillac dealership that my 98 Catera stalls out after 10 minutes of idling or driving because of a bad Crank Sensor. However the check engine light in my vehicle doesn't come on with this particular problem. Also, does anyone know where this Crank Sensor is located and is it easy to replace?

sirmqc
03-02-06, 04:02 PM
Did they run diagnostics on it, or are they just guessing? I'm going to change mine tonight or this weekend. If you re-route it the same way as the original, you have to loosen cooler lines and remove a bunch of stuff. From other posts I've learned that if you can get to the connector, you can just route the cable somewhere away from the exhaust manifold. The sensor itself is right next to the oil filter - held on by one bolt. Its right next to the front driver's side wheel. If you get on your back and stick your head under the car just behind the front drivers side tire, you can see the oil filter and crank sensor without taking anything off. I pulled the sensor(just the sensor, not the cable/connector) out last night and wiped it off and put it back in. The service manual mentions that if its loose or not seated correctly, it won't work correctly. I was just seeing if I'd get lucky - but I didn't - still wouldn't start. I had the front up on jack stands - It would be tough to get under there if it wasn't.

I still haven't figured out where the connector is, but I haven't tried too hard yet either.

I'm kind of guessing/hoping this is the problem. I'll let you know what happens with mine.

gixxer_751
03-02-06, 06:52 PM
the connector part it probably the hardest thing to find, really. its towards the back of the engine on the top of course.

sirmqc
03-02-06, 11:36 PM
And fyi - I got my crank sensor from gm-delco-parts-direct user on ebay for $32 + $6 shipping.

abdakel
03-03-06, 05:52 AM
I am having the same problem (Crankshaft Position Sensor).
I looked on rock-auto, and they have two parts, both for $69.99, so which one do I need?
Also, does any have any pictures of the part, and step by step installation?

abdakel
03-03-06, 06:00 AM
And fyi - I got my crank sensor from gm-delco-parts-direct user on ebay for $32 + $6 shipping.

Is this the right part number for the Crankshaft Sensor?
AC Delco Part Number: 213-1579-ACD
GM Part Number: 12575482

I also found this on eBay

Please confirm

gixxer_751
03-03-06, 11:05 AM
I am having the same problem (Crankshaft Position Sensor).
I looked on rock-auto, and they have two parts, both for $69.99, so which one do I need?
Also, does any have any pictures of the part, and step by step installation?

not sure bout the part number, but if you've ever change your own oil, right next to the oil filter the sensor is located by with-in an inch from the oil filter. The sensor has one small torx bolt, and the clip side is located towards the back part of the engine compartment, under the the right windshield wiper. have someone tug the sensor from the bottom and you'll see where its moving from. replace and re-rout the clip part back up the engine compartment from the bottom to the top, i had a hard time re-routing the wiring so i had re-rout a new way.

Mephy
03-04-06, 08:47 AM
I had my CSPS replaced because after my car warmed up, it would not start back up until it cooled back down.... it would crank, but not start, and no, NO Check Engine Light. Caddy dealer charged me like $200 to do the job....

1986cimarron
05-28-06, 11:07 PM
Document ID# 193635
1998 Cadillac Catera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure

http://service.gm.com/engif/000/000/021/21513.gif

Disconnect the wiring harness (1) from the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor pigtail.
Securely attach a scrap piece of wire about 36 inches long to the CKP sensor pigtail. Later, this piece will be used as a pull wire to guide the new sensor pigtail back through the same routing.
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
Loosen the oil cooler lines at the engine block. Back out the fittings far enough in order to gain sufficient clearance for the sensor pigtail connector to pass between the oil cooler lines and the side of the engine block.

http://service.gm.com/engif/000/000/021/21512.gif

Remove the fastening bolt for the CKP sensor (1).
Remove the CKP sensor and the O-ring seal from the engine block.
Remove the CKP sensor pigtail. Observe the routing of the pigtail. Gently pull the CKP sensor pigtail down through the routing path and out. Guide the pigtail connector along the top of the oil cooler lines around to the side of the engine block. Pass the connector between the lines and the block at the point of the widest gap. Stop when the pull wire is exposed at both ends of the routing path.
Disconnect the sensor from the pull wire.
Installation Procedure

http://service.gm.com/engif/000/000/021/21512.gif

Securely attach the CKP sensor pigtail to the lower end of the pull wire.
Pass the pigtail connector between the oil cooler lines and the engine block.
Using the pull wire as a guide, pull the sensor pigtail along the top of the oil cooler lines and around to the rear of the engine. Use the pull wire to pull the pigtail up into position.
Disconnect the pull wire from the sensor pigtail.
Connect the sensor pigtail to the harness connector.
Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the CKP sensor and the engine block.
Install the CKP sensor with a new O-ring seal into the engine block.
Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the fastening bolt (1) for the CKP sensor.
Tighten

Tighten the bolt to 8 N·m (6 lb ft).

Check the harness for proper routing. Do not let the wiring come in contact with the exhaust manifold.
Tighten the oil cooler lines at the engine block.
Install the oil filter.
Lower the vehicle.
Recheck the engine oil level.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 193635
1998 Cadillac Catera