: '05 Diff Rebuild vs Replacement?

diverdan
02-23-06, 09:21 PM
I just picked my V from the Dealership. The service advisor stated that they were ordering parts to rebuild my diff after I had it in on the dreaded whine.
When I questioned him about rebuilding vs putting in an '06 diff, he stated that the replacement was for other CTSs not the V. He further went on saying that it was cheaper to rebuild it than replace it: A base CTS diff costs $800 vs $2800 for the V. I didn't know they were using totally different rear ends.

This is contrary to what was being said around here so I am wondering what the deal is.

GT04CTS-V
02-23-06, 09:25 PM
I just picked my V from the Dealership. The service advisor stated that they were ordering parts to rebuild my diff after I had it in on the dreaded whine.
When I questioned him about rebuilding vs putting in an '06 diff, he stated that the replacement was for other CTSs not the V. He further went on saying that it was cheaper to rebuild it than replace it: A base CTS diff costs $800 vs $2800 for the V. I didn't know they were using totally different rear ends.

This is contrary to what was being said around here so I am wondering what the deal is.

Find another dealer. He's wrong - My 04 CTS-V has the 06 differential. Here is the part number: 15793756

GT

CVP33
02-23-06, 09:27 PM
Dealership is feeding you crap. The '06 CTS-V rear diff' is the ONLY replacement piece. Even if they order a new '05 rear diff' the '06 will be delivered. The reason your rear diff' is being refurbished vs. be replaced is due solely to cost. It's cheaper and I'd bet an ASM was involved. Full retail on the rear diff' is $1,937.86. GM Parts direct sell this for $1,356.50.

You're obviously in no position to bargain with the dealer because you have apparently driven your vehicle in an abusive manner. I suggest you take what they are offering and discontinue driving your vehicle abusively. Everyone knows that CTS-V rear diff's don't fail when driven properly and not modded. Shame on you sir! :tisk:

odysseus
02-23-06, 10:23 PM
And Chris will never admit to anything remotely close to 'abusive' driving of the V! Actually, I once sat in the passenger seat while a teenager (disguised as a corporate executive wearing a tie, on opening day of one of his stores) was driving CVP33's V, demonstrating to me the wonders of friction and how one overcomes said friction with a judicial application of torque in the first four gears. All the meantime, I was giggling like a school girl while he rowed through the gears demonstrating his gift of knowledge of overcoming the balance of traction vs. the go pedal. Geez, Chris . . . five differentials?!?!?!!? LOL But God, I'll bet it was fun breaking them, wasn't it???? LOL

So is the rumor true, that YOU were in California this week in a Ferrari Enzo driving over the legal speed limit, testing it's traction!??!?!:lildevil:

CVP33
02-23-06, 10:46 PM
And Chris will never admit to anything remotely close to 'abusive' driving of the V! Actually, I once sat in the passenger seat while a teenager (disguised as a corporate executive wearing a tie, on opening day of one of his stores) was driving CVP33's V, demonstrating to me the wonders of friction and how one overcomes said friction with a judicial application of torque in the first four gears. All the meantime, I was giggling like a school girl while he rowed through the gears demonstrating his gift of knowledge of overcoming the balance of traction vs. the go pedal. Geez, Chris . . . five differentials?!?!?!!? LOL But God, I'll bet it was fun breaking them, wasn't it???? LOL

So is the rumor true, that YOU were in California this week in a Ferrari Enzo driving over the legal speed limit, testing it's traction!??!?!:lildevil:

Don't believe anything this guy says. He was screaming like a school girl, NOT giggling! Clearly he can't be trusted. :lildevil: And yes, while I was in California and I was in said Enzo, I was the passenger and I have the high priced lawyers to prove it.

heavymetals
02-24-06, 12:56 AM
Your servicing agent is feeding you a line (you might want to consider taking it elsewhere).

Print off the threads from the forum about the replacement diff and the part # and show the idiot.

I haven't heard of one under warranty being "rebuilt".

Although I have heard of refusal to repair :eek:

thefly
02-24-06, 10:40 AM
i had a differential rebuilt once at a dealership (not on my V), i was upgrading it at the time, cause it was cheaper then a new one. biggest mistake, the car never ran right again. find another dealership. i only buy differential packed by the manufacture. my .02