: Rattle in back window area??

quicksilver7
02-23-06, 08:34 PM
I have a 2000 Catera and I have a rattle coming from the back area. It might be some where in the trunk, I am taking a real shot in the dark here but has anyone ever had and or solved this problem? Any help would be great, I try to get my kids to see (hear) where it is coming from but all they can say is "it's back here some where" and they cant drive while I sit back there, but it is driving me nuts because now I can hear it and my imagination makes me beleivbe it is getting louder and louder...lol. anyways I know its a long shot but any help would be great. Thanx in advance. I also have another question.... when I press the AC button the display says AC off. I live in canada so it is kinda cold up here, but my question is, does the AC only come on when it needs to and does it always say AC off untill it gets hots enough outside the car and it will have to cool the car down. I just bought the car in december so I haven't had it in hot weather yet. again any assistance would be great.

sirmqc
02-23-06, 10:45 PM
I have a 98 - not sure of the differences. Not sure about the rattle - those can be annoying. Check the obvious if you didn't all ready - spare tire, jack, etc. Can you describe it - metallic rattling, plastic on plastic...

Sorry I'm not more help there.:bighead:

The 98 doesn't have an "AC on indicator" only the AC off indicator - seems like the same, but its not. Example: my wife's Toyota Highlander has a green light thats on when the AC is on. Turning on the front defroster turns the ac on - and the light comes on. Its pretty annoying - middle of winter and the ac comes on to defog the window!:rant2:

Anywho, the catera probably does the same thing - turns the ac on for different conditions - like its hot outside, or you hit the defog. But you don't know when its running because it doesn't have an indicator light. If you hit the AC button, the ac is disabled. But what annoys me on the catera - mine at least - if I disable the AC, then hit the defog - the AC disable turns off. Indiana winters are nowhere near as bad as Canada I'm sure, but from November - February I don't want my ac to run for any reason:tisk: But I have to keep hitting the ac off button all the time. I've pretty much given up on it.

But I like using these smiley faces I think:rolleyes:

quicksilver7
02-24-06, 08:45 PM
sirmqc (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=37104), thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that it cuts the AC off if you press the button. as for the rattle, I don't know it sounds like plastic I think. I was playing around with the amp that is under the rear deck lid and everything seems to be fine. The privacy shade seems to be secure as well. It is really starting to drive me nuts. I can only turn the stereo up so loud. My mind plays tricks on me and says that the rattle is louder than the stereo can go. lol. oh well I will just have to try and disect it everytime I hear it. I just thought someone has heard a noise from the rear and was able to locate it.

kmcatera00
02-27-06, 12:07 AM
I had a rattle in the back of my 2000 Catera also. Same thing - I heard it when I turned up the stereo. Turned out to be the plastic molding at the window vibrating against the glass. About 3ft of foam tape later...problem solved. Hope that helps.

kmcatera00
02-27-06, 12:08 AM
Sorry - plastic molding at the top of the window.

quicksilver7
02-27-06, 08:16 PM
thanks for the info........