: Am I the First??? Going to arbitration with Cadillac.

oceanhut
02-23-06, 04:28 PM
Let me sum it up quickly.
I have a 2004 that I picked up in January of that year. I have 23,600 miles on the car. I am on my third diff. I complained of the creaking from the rear suspension, which was diagnosed as coming from the GM bushing fix. Brought the car in 4 times, dealership finally said that there was no permanent fix to the creak, and I would either have to choose between removing the bushing fix, getting wheel hop-- but silent ride, or , keeping the bushings, no wheel hop, but creaking. Either one is unacceptable.

Over the life of the car, it has been in the shop almost 50 days.(too many little problems to list)

So, we instituted a lemon law suit. (florida law: over 30 days in the shop or 3 times for same repair-- i had both)

GM sent out the regional service manager to inspect the car, he basically stated that wheel hop is normal, Id have to live with the creak coming from the suspension. He said that he pays no attention to the amount of days in service (clearly he doesnt understand how a law works). Frankly, some of the stuff he said was absolute nonsense, and GM higher ups would smack their foreheads if they heard it. For example, when answering my question as to 'how one would accelerate to 60mph in 4.6 sec without getting wheel hop, or driving "aggressively"-- to use his term". He stated, and this is verbatim: "You shouldn't drive 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, that will get you thrown in jail." My jaw nearly hit the ground. There were more jems from this conversation, but let me continue.

After the rep reported his findings to GM, they refused to do anything. So, bottom line, we are going forward with the suit and are going to arbitration with Cadillac.

Cadillac had the potential to make a fantastic car-- one that could rival any european sports car--but they seriously dropped the ball. And by not owning up to the pitfalls of this design, by blaming differential failure on the driver, and by simply writing off wheel-hop as an acceptable characteristic of the vehicle shows why GM is in the state it is.

By a show of hands, if my Lemon Law suit is a success how many others would seriously consider filing a claim? Let me say that the whole process is very simple. A last chance letter to GM and BBB, followed up by a inspection by GM area rep, then GMs response.

Joey'sVee
02-23-06, 04:54 PM
Ace may be in the arbitration with Caddy. You two should talk. I've talked to both of you on the phone in the past couple of days and I think you two could learn something about the process from each other.

haveboost
02-23-06, 06:23 PM
I would be very interested. Like many of us I love the car but the amount of time the car spends on the dealer is ridiculous. I've had my differential bushings replaced 3 times and 1 complete differential. And I'm not going to get into the other reasons it's been to the dealer.

I'm seriously considering trading the car for an M5. Yes it's much more money but no issues!! I have 3 friends who own the car and out of the box they were running 12.40's -12.50's and with a tune 202 mph top end. Nobody is breaking rearends and one is using NOS. NO PROBLEM! (btw.. the one using NOS is running 11.50's at almost 127mph 100 shot)

So to make along story short YES please provide any info if possible. THANK YOU!

ace996
02-23-06, 06:33 PM
You're not the only one. 42days in 9months and 4times in shop with no resolution...both statutory requirements met. One month in...we'll see what happens.
-ace

CVP33
02-23-06, 08:17 PM
43 days in 9 months, 6 rear end replacements, 2 transmissions, 2 NAV's, 1 radiator and on and on. GM sent me a letter suggesting I sue them to resolve the issue. I kept the letter as a momento. Lemon Law in VA is among the worst in the nation. I got more in trade than I could've gotten from arbitration.

But it's all good now. Easy to put a bad experience behind you with something new in the garage. Also nice not having to degrease the garage floor every weekend too.

MacOSR
02-23-06, 08:21 PM
I would be very interested. Like many of us I love the car but the amount of time the car spends on the dealer is ridiculous. I've had my differential bushings replaced 3 times and 1 complete differential. And I'm not going to get into the other reasons it's been to the dealer.

I'm seriously considering trading the car for an M5. Yes it's much more money but no issues!! I have 3 friends who own the car and out of the box they were running 12.40's -12.50's and with a tune 202 mph top end. Nobody is breaking rearends and one is using NOS. NO PROBLEM! (btw.. the one using NOS is running 11.50's at almost 127mph 100 shot)

So to make along story short YES please provide any info if possible. THANK YOU!

Do it! I still have my CTS-V and being able to drive the two cars back-to-back cleary shows the difference between the two cars. I will be jealous of your being able to drive your M5 year round...living in Ohio is killing me ;)

Florian
02-23-06, 08:23 PM
Cmon, Mac, Ohio isnt that bad. We get to do all the mods in the winter when the V is on stands.

Where are you in OH>?

F

MacOSR
02-23-06, 09:17 PM
Cmon, Mac, Ohio isnt that bad. We get to do all the mods in the winter when the V is on stands.

Where are you in OH>?

F

Unfortunately my V has become my winter car now that I have the M5. I am in Canton, OH.

gmm
02-23-06, 10:54 PM
I'am a new poster to the forum. Own a 2005 Raven black CTS-V, great car with some faults that GM needs to address. Tires issues, Rear differential, etc. Has anyone else had a problem with engine light coming on and staying on even after dealer fix. Proud to force their hand

Joey'sVee
02-23-06, 11:42 PM
Let's not threadjack here.

I haven't made my mind up on what I'm going to do but as of now it looks like I'm headed down the road of arbitration.

theformer
02-25-06, 11:25 PM
New member here but had a friend that just did a lemon law on his truck. Here in California we have a very good lemon law and he went through an attorney.

The attorney basically said that you should never go to arbitration if you can avoid it because the arbitration company is in GM's back pocket. Check your local laws and local attorneys. If you can get an attorney to take your case on a contingent basis then it doesn't cost you a penny unless you win. In some states, the manufacturer even has to pay atty's fees when you win.

Good luck.

V-Max
02-26-06, 12:12 AM
There are some track days at Nelson Ledges near Youngstown if you Florian are interesting in romping on the Vs or M. Have not heard of any breaking on the road course. I have AAA gold and could get you guys home.

Not to hi-jack the thread but doesn't the bean counter know that this demographic saved enough on the V to spend sometime in court? These are not Chevys!

Norm - who's beater wants a LS6 too!
http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=261;st=90

Do it! I still have my CTS-V and being able to drive the two cars back-to-back cleary shows the difference between the two cars. I will be jealous of your being able to drive your M5 year round...living in Ohio is killing me ;)

Skeeter
02-26-06, 03:47 AM
Don't forget to consider the M5 alternative that I just picked up: the E55 AMG. I got a used '05 for $61k. Really not crazily more than the Caddy. Plenty of warranty left. Dual sunroofs, keyless entry and start, etc etc...

Into the low 12's stock and a pulley swap is cake. No hop @ all, no matter how hard I lean into it or shred the rear tires. Silent as a ghost when at 'normal' speed. Seriously amazing, slap it in 'lux' mode and you'd never guess it was a fast car. Whisper silent, smooth suspension, ideal ride fast OR slow.

I loved my V, but the differential stories were enough to give me some serious pause when considering buying a new one. I'll miss her, but with stories like this, I'll miss her a bit less. Though I can imagine that MBZ can be a PAIN on warranty issues also. I'm already chaffing at the snob attitude at the dealership. I can understand GM skimping on warranty issues, but DC?! Baaaaaad things coming if they mess with this customer.

Some day I'll pick up a used '05 and be back into the 6 speed. Sure miss that UUC shifter :(

Peace my brothers!

Skeeter

Formerly of the '05 CTS-V (UUC shifter, iPod input)
Now '05 E55 AMG and loving it

formula223
02-26-06, 12:04 PM
Texas lawyer with a v and the same problems.
Would be happy to sit in on you arbitration by telephone for free. You can contact me at macmckeand@sbcglobal.net. I am on vacation next week but will be checking my emails and back in the office on March 6, 2006. Mac Mckeand

formula223
02-26-06, 12:06 PM
Tried to pm you oceanhunt, but I only have 8 postings. Mac McKeand

SoCadillac
02-26-06, 01:07 PM
New member here but had a friend that just did a lemon law on his truck. Here in California we have a very good lemon law and he went through an attorney.

The attorney basically said that you should never go to arbitration if you can avoid it because the arbitration company is in GM's back pocket. Check your local laws and local attorneys. If you can get an attorney to take your case on a contingent basis then it doesn't cost you a penny unless you win. In some states, the manufacturer even has to pay atty's fees when you win.

Good luck.
I agree with you on arbitration as I have been involved in some very high-end arbitrations, and they were utterly useless. The problem is that all these arbitrators know Joe and Jack lawyer, so there is typically a bias. We spent more time starting arbitration meetings with Joe or Jack lawyer talking to the arbitrator about his golf swing or the family. Now, depending if you are bound to using arbitration in your State, at least balance the game by doing some homework and you choosing the arbitrator and where it will be held. Arbitration is good in concept, but poor in its execution.

oceanhut
02-26-06, 01:39 PM
Thank you, Mac. Actually, my father is an attorney, so he will be handling the case. But, If you would like to be filled in on the details, I would be more than happy to share them with you.