: Anybody else braking their front Stabilizer Link?

rgd
02-23-06, 12:25 AM
I am wondering if anybody else has had this problem.

I have broken the stabilizer link that connects the front sway bar to the lower control arm two times since installing my Hotchkis sway bars and having an aggressive alignment done to the car.

The first time it broke was on the way home just after having the allignment done. The second time was after driving on a crappy bumpy road.

Not sure if it is braking because the Hotchkis bars are so stiff or the allignment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks ~ rgd

SoCadillac
02-23-06, 01:00 AM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum/62072-sway-bar-links.html?highlight=Hotchkis

Pictures:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/5244/size/big

An alignment should never do that. Is your V lowered a great deal?

rgd
02-23-06, 01:45 AM
Yes, it's lowered a fair amount. I have QA1 shocks with H&R springs; soon to have the Ground control package though.

On both brakes the plastic socket has cracked into two pieces.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum/62072-sway-bar-links.html?highlight=Hotchkis

Pictures:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/5244/size/big

An alignment should never do that. Is your V lowered a great deal?

thefly
02-23-06, 08:55 AM
Yes, it's lowered a fair amount. I have QA1 shocks with H&R springs; soon to have the Ground control package though.

On both brakes the plastic socket has cracked into two pieces.

hotchkis makes upgraded end links, non specific for cars, i would suspect the shocks and spring + swaybars are contributing to the failures more then alignment. i noticed when i put swaybars on my last car which had an aggressive spring on it, i began feeling every bump in the road. just a thought.

CTSV05
02-23-06, 03:00 PM
Most likely with the lowering...and the stiffer bars........the links are being asked to do more work.

A more sustancial link should solve your problem if not....then there may be a serious binding issue.

Staxxin
02-23-06, 03:15 PM
Is this a common issue with the Hotchkis bars?

ace996
02-23-06, 05:39 PM
Broken endlinks are very common with fat sways, MANY cars experience failure due to thier very weak (thin) design. My MR2Spyder bent both endlinks before I went with adjustable endliks. It's normal and not fatal.

When the Hots bars were announced I expressed my concerns with our thin links, as they were not included in the kit. The stiffer springs probably allowed them to live a little longer, as they absorbed some roll-energy. A stock sprung car with Hotsbars, driven in an autox manner, will certainly break/bend the front endlinks.Call Hotskis and have them send you a set for the front. I'd also inquire about rears, too. You'll be good after that.
-ace

Staxxin
02-23-06, 09:14 PM
Broken endlinks are very common with fat sways, MANY cars experience failure due to thier very weak (thin) design. My MR2Spyder bent both endlinks before I went with adjustable endliks. It's normal and not fatal.

When the Hots bars were announced I expressed my concerns with our thin links, as they were not included in the kit. The stiffer springs probably allowed them to live a little longer, as they absorbed some roll-energy. A stock sprung car with Hotsbars, driven in an autox manner, will certainly break/bend the front endlinks.Call Hotskis and have them send you a set for the front. I'd also inquire about rears, too. You'll be good after that.
-ace

Thanks! Do you think they send the new stronger "endlinks" before I even install the bars or do I have to wait for a failure. I would prefer the former if all possible. Thanks again!!!!

Staxxin
02-23-06, 09:24 PM
RGD, what did you notice after the breaks occurred? I’ve never had this happen or heard of it so I’m curious. How serious of a break is it? Is the car drivable? Any risk of accident? Could this cause any other serious damage?

Thanks!!!!

ace996
02-23-06, 10:07 PM
Thanks! Do you think they send the new stronger "endlinks" before I even install the bars or do I have to wait for a failure. I would prefer the former if all possible. Thanks again!!!!

Get them first, don't wait for a failure...Heaven forbid its during a high-speed transition that causes a big front end dig and snap oversteer....
You can wait...but I wouldn't, especially now since someone snapped one and its a proven possibility.
-ace

thebigjimsho
02-24-06, 07:26 PM
I was lucky with my SHO. I had been at the '98 National SHO Convention in Cleveland. Took the SHO to Mid-Ohio and had a lot of nice drives on the great Ohio backroads. I had a bigger rear bar, Eibach springs, Koni adjustable struts and wider rims with BF Goodrich R1 race rubber. All that hard cornering and a rear endlink broke as I pulled off I-90 to go to Bob Evans for breakfast on the way back home.

When an endlink breaks, you sometimes hear a clunking sound. What a swaybar does is reduce your roll. With that link gone, you have no roll stability. You can drive it just fine, you just need to take your corners a little more slowly. And it's easy to diagnose, just follow the sway bar to its end and see for yourself.