: Bose Stereo Question - MP3s

Nasty Black Lac
02-22-06, 04:15 PM
can I burn a mp3 disc and play it in my truck? does the bose system recognize the format?

vietfob714
02-22-06, 05:54 PM
i would probably say no

Digital Vidiot
02-22-06, 05:59 PM
As far as I know, no you cannot play MP3 encoded discs on the Bose system, unless it is on the system in the new 2007 models. I wanted to do the same thing, and was even looking for a replacement for the in dash 6 CD changer. I did not find anything that would replace it directly (fit in the same place, same size), but did find some adapters that are supposed to interface with the OEM Bose system and external CD/MP3 changers (Pioneer and Kenwood) - but in my case, since I have XM radio, the specs say that I would have to disconnect it in order to use the external changer.

Here are links to both of those products:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piegm12pcpiox.html

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/soundkngm1v3.html

I ended up going with an iPod adapter that also has one extra auxillary input. I can control the iPod using the steering wheels buttons. It works great, but does not display the MP3 text on the Bose head unit - here is that product:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/PA11GM.html

mikeee
02-22-06, 06:04 PM
Not sure what the others are referring to, but my 2003 factory stereo plays MP3's, so does the changer.

Nasty Black Lac
02-22-06, 07:24 PM
Not sure what the others are referring to, but my 2003 factory stereo plays MP3's, so does the changer.

Mikeee,

Is it an mp3 file or was it converted to a .wav file? Mine plays burnt discs (mp3s), but I wonder if I can burn ~100 mp3s on a disc and have it recognize it.

I'll try it and let everyone know. Thanks!

mikeee
02-22-06, 08:01 PM
Mikeee,

Is it an mp3 file or was it converted to a .wav file? Mine plays burnt discs (mp3s), but I wonder if I can burn ~100 mp3s on a disc and have it recognize it.

I'll try it and let everyone know. Thanks!This is what I do, i insert a CD-R, I copy and paste mp3 files into it, and I select "write these files to cd", no finalizing like burned cd's, so it just saves as data, I can put 200 mp3's on a cd, and it takes about 15 seconds and the cd is ready. That cd plays in my truck just fine.

senility
02-22-06, 10:52 PM
This is what I do, i insert a CD-R, I copy and paste mp3 files into it, and I select "write these files to cd", no finalizing like burned cd's, so it just saves as data, I can put 200 mp3's on a cd, and it takes about 15 seconds and the cd is ready. That cd plays in my truck just fine.

This doesn't work on my '06. Mikee, take one of your MP3 disks, put it in your computer and in Windows Explorer, click on the drive. I bet the file extensions are all .cda, CD format. You probably have a program that's burning the MP3's to .cda's.

Dan <><

mikeee
02-22-06, 11:44 PM
This doesn't work on my '06. Mikee, take one of your MP3 disks, put it in your computer and in Windows Explorer, click on the drive. I bet the file extensions are all .cda, CD format. You probably have a program that's burning the MP3's to .cda's.

Dan <><No, I know how MP3's work, its not a burned cd. If it were there would be no way to put 100+ songs on it. Hell maybe the previous owner had something installed that Im not aware of, but my truck plays MP3's.

Nasty Black Lac
02-23-06, 08:28 AM
This is what I do, i insert a CD-R, I copy and paste mp3 files into it, and I select "write these files to cd", no finalizing like burned cd's, so it just saves as data, I can put 200 mp3's on a cd, and it takes about 15 seconds and the cd is ready. That cd plays in my truck just fine.

Yes, that is a mp3 CD. You can store about 200 mp3s on a disc compared to about 17 songs (80 minutes) if they are .wav files. Most CD players won't play mp3 CDs, they only play a standard 80 minute disc. Most aftermarket CD players (Alpine, Kenwood, etc..) are mp2 compatable.

That is wonderful to hear.

Digital Vidiot
02-23-06, 06:14 PM
It is great to hear that it works for Mikee, but unless I am very mistaken (and I would love to be), I don't think that normal stock head units and 6 CD changers will play MP3 cds. I would love to be wrong about that though............. Then I would be doing this -------> :worship:

senility
02-23-06, 06:47 PM
No, I know how MP3's work, its not a burned cd. If it were there would be no way to put 100+ songs on it. Hell maybe the previous owner had something installed that Im not aware of, but my truck plays MP3's.

Mikee,

You need to figure out what you got there and sell it! Would love to be able to do this as I listen to recorded books and I would only need 1 disk for an entire book.

Dan <><

mikeee
02-23-06, 07:20 PM
Mikee,

You need to figure out what you got there and sell it! Would love to be able to do this as I listen to recorded books and I would only need 1 disk for an entire book.

Dan <><Whatever it is, i dont wanna sell it, Im loving the MP3 feature, Ive had one disc in my ride since day one. No need for multi discs. I will find out how the hell my head unit does it, I thought they all did. Im gonna be installing my system soon and will need to pull the console out, so I will look and report.