: Anyone ever own an H1?

fast66
02-20-06, 05:16 AM
How is the handling and top speed? also any other advice would be good. Thanks

honda4x4nut
02-20-06, 02:49 PM
If you have to ask you will not like it... Thats said it tops out at 88mph with the old motor in it the new duramax may me better but not much I assume. The handling is horrible and its too wide for most of my city streets...I drove one at the dealership I bought my caddy from. But top speed or handling is not the point of this vehicle the point is to be able to handle any type of terrain, while making everyone you pass stop and stare. Personally I love this vehicle but cant see spending that much for a new one. Although I would not be apposed to buying an old army surplus humvee for my hunting truck. They sell in the low 20s.

Alexs EXT
02-20-06, 04:53 PM
We used to own an H1. I was probably around 10ish so I don't remember much, but I do remember the ride being a little harsh at times, speed was alright, but it was really impressive going up the steepest side of a hill.

We used to take it to one of the army bases my parents worked on, and would just go completely crazy off-roading that stupid thing and playing cat & mouse between us (H1) and a dodge ram....of course the H1 won :D

CTSVONFIRE
02-20-06, 06:23 PM
I work at Crest Hummer in Nashville. Unless you just have enough money to throw away. The H1 does great off road, but the regular maintnance cost is ridiculous. Runnin about $1 grand for a routine service.

jordan00escalade
02-20-06, 07:05 PM
I drove those in the military... I was excited to get behind the wheel at first, but after a 6 hour convoy. I hated them! I still hate them!

Stuntless
02-20-06, 10:39 PM
Drove one in the military as well, they are amazing off road but forget about anything else. You have to drive all the way against the center line just so the right side of it is not hanging off the shoulder lol.

fast66
02-20-06, 10:46 PM
Drove one in the military as well, they are amazing off road but forget about anything else. You have to drive all the way against the center line just so the right side of it is not hanging off the shoulder lol.

I am thinking of keeping the escalade for the bling, selling the range and jeep liberty because I can get almost the same as what I bought them for, and I want something just for offroading in the desert when Im in Kuwait. I am thinking the hummer H1 is the best for the job.

I heard you can fill a release the tires with air from within the cabin while offroading, is this true?

jordan00escalade
02-20-06, 11:15 PM
I am thinking of keeping the escalade for the bling, selling the range and jeep liberty because I can get almost the same as what I bought them for, and I want something just for offroading in the desert when Im in Kuwait. I am thinking the hummer H1 is the best for the job.

I heard you can fill a release the tires with air from within the cabin while offroading, is this true?

yes and if your going to get it for off-roading then it's a pretty good deal.. They are geared for torque.. That's a corvette engine under the hood, but it's all torque. You should never get stuck in one of those and you can drive along side a hill at a 45 degree angle without tipping. We took a road trip to Fort Hood, Tx. from Houston in the winter... We had a lot of fun in the mud. Anything other than that.. I don't advise getting one.

hcvone
02-21-06, 08:29 AM
If I had to drive off road all the time, or had several thousands of acres to cruise around I would have a H1, but on the road they ride pretty bad.

05 Cadillac Escalade
02-21-06, 08:44 AM
Since you are getting one for real cheap, I am not going to advise you against it. I know that they are very expensive while in for service as that was stated before as well. In my opinion, if you want to spend $15,000 for a piece of $%#*, then go for it. I wouldn't.

Thanks.

Katshot
02-21-06, 10:12 AM
Get yourself a Jeep. With only a few mods, it will go anywhere an H1 will and still be cheaper, faster, and more comfortable. The greatest advantage the H1 has over other vehicles is it's ability to laterally cross a fairly steep grade without flipping due to it's wide stance but that same feature makes it a beast in the outback because it needs a damn wide trail.

fast66
02-21-06, 04:44 PM
How is the handling and top speed? also any other advice would be good. Thanks
This is for the desert in Kuwait. It is flat with deep sand. Almost like Iraq.

Thanks for the replies guys, I had to elaberate the question due to some misunderstanding

Elvis
02-22-06, 04:09 PM
Play nice. ;)

fast66
02-22-06, 07:53 PM
Play nice. ;)
Your no fun! :( hehehe

Falkolade
02-22-06, 11:29 PM
i leased my girl the h3 last year, but its like a baby next to an h1, like there almost un-related