: Nav disk update from GM

RScanTX
02-22-06, 03:42 PM
Got this notice at work:
"As of March 15th, 2006 SPO is no longer in the Nav Disk business. Starting with 2006MY vehicles, customers will receive 2 free disk updates (1 per year). The customer will be contacted around the 10th month after purchase via postcard, and will have to respond that they want the disk update for it to be sent to them. They will be recontacted the next year and the process will repeat.
If you have customers with 2005MY vehicles (and older) who want an updated disk, advise them to wait until March 15th. On March 15th, the Nav Disk 800# goes live and they can order a replacement disk directly. It will cost $199 + shipping. They will need to provide their VIN number to ensure they are ordering the proper disk for their vehicle."
Nav Disk #: 1-877-NAV-DISC

Florian
02-22-06, 03:49 PM
order it???? screw that....they owe me one free.

F

50 4Ever
02-22-06, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I will be ordering one march 15th.

:highfive:

CIWS
02-22-06, 05:48 PM
I think I'm going to wait a couple of years before spending on an update. My disk seems pretty "accurate" so far. But thanks for passing on the info you discovered. :)

Carnalsupply
02-22-06, 06:51 PM
I think I'll have to order one ASAP, because mine advises me to take the scenic route way too many times when I "verify" it's accuracy on trips when I know where I'm going. I can only imagine how much time I'm wasting on trips where I've got no clue about my location.
My nav in my Hemi Magnum was MUCH better than the nav in my V :-(

roadracerx72
02-22-06, 07:02 PM
I think I'm going to wait a couple of years before spending on an update. My disk seems pretty "accurate" so far. But thanks for passing on the info you discovered. :)

:yeah:

By then they should be on ebay.

Merle Corey
02-22-06, 09:34 PM
Pfft... gonna stick with my Delorme Street Atlas and my laptop. It's nice they thought of it for the V, but they undercut themselves when they lopp'd off voice command. B'Sides Delorme has a better product. Nice DVD player for when your parked tho...
:want:

50 4Ever
02-22-06, 11:29 PM
I think I'll have to order one ASAP, because mine advises me to take the scenic route way too many times when I "verify" it's accuracy on trips when I know where I'm going. I can only imagine how much time I'm wasting on trips where I've got no clue about my location.
My nav in my Hemi Magnum was MUCH better than the nav in my V :-(

Check how you have your Route Options set. To get there from the map, press the tuning knob to select the NAV Menu, then it should be the top right button called "Route Options". One line is how to calculate the route and the choices are "Shortest" and "Fastest". I have noticed that when I have mine on "Shortest" I get the scenic routes, they are not the fastest but they are the shortest mileage wise. I also have selected to use freeways, there are other options too.

The updated Nav DVD shouldn't have much effect on the route that is calculated unless there are new roads.

:highfive:

diverdan
02-23-06, 09:57 AM
I wonder if this new supplier has more accurate map data than the current one. I've noticed numerous inaccuracies in my area (newer roads not listed, road placement on map different than GPS coordinates). My disk came out of an '06 and is the most recent one (dealer threw it in when I got the car).

I noticed my Garmin 2610 has most of the same inaccuracies so I am wondering who is supplying these companies their map data.

Carnalsupply
02-23-06, 12:01 PM
Hey 50,

I believe mine is set for the "shortest distance" as well, so I'll "uncheck" that option and see what happens.

Thanks

ctsvett
02-23-06, 12:52 PM
I am wondering who is supplying these companies their map data.

A company called NAVTEQ.... They supply many different car companies (but not all) with the data.

Reed

50 4Ever
02-23-06, 12:55 PM
I noticed my Garmin 2610 has most of the same inaccuracies so I am wondering who is supplying these companies their map data.

I have a 2620 and I am running the maps that were released last fall and they seem to be right on. I think that Garmin gets their map updates from MapSource.

Hey 50,

I believe mine is set for the "shortest distance" as well, so I'll "uncheck" that option and see what happens.

Thanks

You should notice a difference. The first time I used the Nav it had me going thru these back roads which turned a 20 minute trip into an hour. Since I have had a Garmin 2620 for over two years I had an idea what was wrong, the problem was finding out how to recalculate the route with different options.

When I am in no hurry and in an area that I have never been before I choose the "Shortest" route and it usually sends me on beautiful back roads and remote highways (no cops, usually).

I can tell you that after having the Garmin 2620, this system is harder to operate and does not contain as much detail.

tedcmiller
02-23-06, 01:30 PM
MapSource is the registered trademark name used by Garmin for its base software package that operates with all of their various mapping packages (e.g., City Navigator, Metroguide, etc.). NAVTEQ is the company that supplies map data for many GPS manufacturers including Garmin and most of the built-in car GPSs.

50 4Ever
02-23-06, 01:48 PM
MapSource is the registered trademark name used by Garmin for its base software package that operates with all of their various mapping packages (e.g., City Navigator, Metroguide, etc.). NAVTEQ is the company that supplies map data for many GPS manufacturers including Garmin and most of the built-in car GPSs.

Thanks for the correction.:highfive:

diverdan
02-23-06, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to notify NAVTEQ about inaccuracies so that they might correct them on future revisions, since it seems they don't know about the ones in this area?

I'm certain that in larger metro area the maps are pretty accurate and are updated frequently. Unfortunately, I live in the hinterlands and I could see why they might not check for changes as much.