: GTO Cancelled..Is the V next?

miko442
02-22-06, 02:56 PM
Just found out the Pontiac GTO is being axed by GM. Wonder ow this bodes for us Cadillac V fans.

kjr39
02-22-06, 03:18 PM
I really don't see it affecting the V.

The market segment for the GTO is completely separate from the V-series...

daytripper
02-22-06, 03:32 PM
I already posted this, in this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge/66258-news-gm-drop-gto.html

Moderators bumped it out of this forum. Seems that V owners don't find the cars to be "related" and think they're totally different markets. Also, most feel the GTO missed its market audience, and loyal GTO fans never bought into the rebadged Holden Monaro.

Since there have been guys on this board that sold their V to buy a GTO, I disagree that the two hit two totally different audiences. Certainly closer in comparison (money and performance wise) than many of the lame V vs. "insert high end Euro ro Japanese car here" comparisons we see here regularly.

Anyway, my guess is your thread won't be closed/moved, since you mentioned the word "V, but we'll see.

Brian R.

markbinkc
02-22-06, 04:12 PM
Just found out the Pontiac GTO is being axed by GM. Wonder ow this bodes for us Cadillac V fans.

My guess is no. From what I've been reading, the GTO chassis is going to get nixed, as the plans for the next RWD chassis are for it to be used on the Camaro, maybe an Impala SS, and possibly Buick? if it materializes. That kinda puts the GTO in limbo. As you know the chassis from the CTS-V is used on the CTS, STS, and SRX, so if they do axe it, it won't be because they don't have a chassis for it, but who knows?

miko442
02-22-06, 04:20 PM
Sorry, I did not notice your thread from yesterday. I personally don't think it will happen to the V series. Although the V's are a low production vehicle. it would seem to me Cadillac needs them to promote their image to the demographic they are targeting. Or is this the first of many cuts GM will make to their product lines? It's not like GM is making a ton of money on the V series. The writing may just be on the wall for the performance cars. Are we nearing the end of an era where engineering and speed/handling become not important(fashionable)? After all we now are listening to music by way of mp3 players, and video screens are smaller and smaller. Bland,bland,bland....., I,m keeping my V for a long time!

urbanski
02-22-06, 04:41 PM
Anyway, my guess is your thread won't be closed/moved, since you mentioned the word "V, but we'll see.

Brian R.
GTO threads, much like SRT8 threads, belong in the lounge.