: '06 CTS-V New

JTWEX
02-22-06, 10:11 AM
I have looked through the various complaints/issues with the CTS-V & was wondering if the major problems (Rear Dif) have been upgraded for the 2006 model. Interested in buying one but wanted to know what I should be expecting. The only funny negative I have is my family always is swapping cars & nobody else (besides pops) can drive a stick...let alone one attached to 400hp.

J

Kadonny
02-22-06, 11:20 AM
Well supposidly the 06 has a few upgrades on the 05. It has a different rear for sure and a smoother shifting transmission. Also the wheel hop is diminished because of the stock tires on the 06 cars.

Now is the 06 rear more bullet proof? That is yet to be determined.

Get one, I did. My 06 was build already and I am just waiting for it to be delivered to the dealer.

thefly
02-22-06, 12:53 PM
i have 2100 miles on my 06. here are my observations so far:

1. wheel hop still there on launch (don't care didn't buy the car to launch) maybe i will order the spectre bushings...

2. still clunks in first gear on starts, if i wanted a car that didn't make noise i would have bought an STS or DTS.

3. shifting improvement still vague, but i didn't feel much difference between it and the '05 i drove

4. no wheel hop on hard shifts though unlike the 05 i drove could be the tires who knows. and i don't hear a whine yet on my diff, though i didn't notice one on the 05 either.

conclusion, only other i would have considered is a 300C SRT-8. reasons i didn't buy if you think cadillac service is bad visit a chrysler dealership, treat you like you bought a dodge neon. i love the V, if you are looking for a car to stop light race, take to the drag strip move on it is not the car for you. in my opinion closest thing you can get to vette with 4 doors. if GM hadn't put in a weak differential, it would be the perfect car in its price range!

JTWEX
02-22-06, 01:30 PM
i have 2100 miles on my 06. here are my observations so far:

1. wheel hop still there on launch (don't care didn't buy the car to launch) maybe i will order the spectre bushings...

2. still clunks in first gear on starts, if i wanted a car that didn't make noise i would have bought an STS or DTS.

3. shifting improvement still vague, but i didn't feel much difference between it and the '05 i drove

4. no wheel hop on hard shifts though unlike the 05 i drove could be the tires who knows. and i don't hear a whine yet on my diff, though i didn't notice one on the 05 either.

conclusion, only other i would have considered is a 300C SRT-8. reasons i didn't buy if you think cadillac service is bad visit a chrysler dealership, treat you like you bought a dodge neon. i love the V, if you are looking for a car to stop light race, take to the drag strip move on it is not the car for you. in my opinion closest thing you can get to vette with 4 doors. if GM hadn't put in a weak differential, it would be the perfect car in its price range!

I'm very much aware of Chrysler customer service as well as quality control. We had a Cirrus as our run around car & it was always in the shop; damn thing was always calling for a tune up. Though it did perform well in a head on collision (drunk driver).

Downgraded the 92 Eldo to the "Run Around Car" & replaced it with a sweet new 2002 STS in 2004. They knocked off about $20k on that car, just couldn't help myself.

Anyway...thought the tire hop problem was fixed in '06. Not really interested in mods but some of the photos on this thread are really sweet.

Thanks.

naiculnila
02-22-06, 02:02 PM

or an M3, M5, S4, RS4, S6

Still the high power minus the clunks!

Refinement of S4/M3 Plus V looks = VERY HAPPY CUSTOMERS!

JTWEX
02-22-06, 02:20 PM
What exactly is a "clunk" in first gear?

Davidstan
02-22-06, 02:59 PM
I only have 1500 on mine and there is a mild hop coming out of the hole but very mild on my car. Interestingly it is with TC off that it does it. W/ TC on i dont get the hop at all...wierd. I bought the car even after coming to this site and hereing the negative stuff so i knew there were some quirks hopeing most were solved for the 06. I'm happy and there is not a similar car out there right now.

thefly
02-22-06, 03:07 PM
or an M3, M5, S4, RS4, S6

Still the high power minus the clunks!

Refinement of S4/M3 Plus V looks = VERY HAPPY CUSTOMERS!

i think that will happen with time looks at the early e46 M3's i think our problems are much more minor in comparison. i think most everyone here agrees that if they could afford a new M5 they would have one (i would in a second), and by afford after the $100k price tag youch, then there is the maintenance and gas to fill it up. Audi has yet to produce a car i would consider, the reliability factor there is horrible.

ctsvett
02-22-06, 04:18 PM
I would not want a M5 no matter what the price...

No offense to any BMW owners who may read this, but that car comes with an ego, and I dont want to be that guy...

Reed

Kadonny
02-22-06, 05:50 PM
Nice report thefly.

I am putting the Spectres in my 06 in hopes of eliminating 80% or more of the hop.

thefly
02-22-06, 10:06 PM
only reason i have held back is my concern with noise. plus i don't launch my car much, bad history with it. i am not a drag racer, but on a road course i am a force to be reckoned with.

drag racing history:

99 mustang cobra with a cat back, and 3.73's on street tires i snapped a halfshaft and twisted a cv joint. CAUSE: bad wheel hop...

2001 Corvette Vert, smoked the clutch (luckily didn't burn up) pedal stuck to the floor

2002 ZO6 on drag radials smoked the clutch again (though i launched at 3500). though i did turn a 12.3 @ 115 that day, not bad for a car which had a bad tune in at the time and had an a/f in 11:1 to 10.5:1 at WOT...

lasstss
02-23-06, 12:14 AM
Nice report thefly.

I am putting the Spectres in my 06 in hopes of eliminating 80% or more of the hop.

I dont think you will see that much but the solidity it adds plus the elimination of the metallic knocking is worth the work.

In the end, Cadillac attempted to make a completely resilient mount for the cradle and the rear to make it more 'cadillac'. Had they rigged it up more solidly, we wouldnt have all of the problems. Knock on wood.. I have a very early 2004. Only real problem was the diff and a replaced Nav because the CD's skipped. Thats Delphi's fault!
They only car that I would replace it with costs twice the price of the V. Its still a bad ass ride!:thumbsup:

CVP33
02-23-06, 01:39 AM
The 2006 has the improved rear diff' and transmission along with the free NAV updates. That is reason enough to buy the 2006 vs. any leftover's from previous years.

Do not allow your V to wheel hop. You will learn when, how and why it hops and MUST avoid this at all costs. Slick roads, cold tires, cold roads, gravely roads, rain, ice, snow, quick shifting, high rpm launches among others cause wheel hopping. Hopping changes the pinion angle rapidly and violently and will literally shake your rear differential apart. Our resident engineers can explain this much better than I. JUST DON'T DO IT.

Avoiding the hop will cost you many a stoplight race (especially vs. SRT8's) because you'll NEVER hook out of the hole. But remember you didn't buy the V to street race or be the quickest to the next red light. It handles great and looks great so I suggest you use it accordingly. From a roll there's little on the road that will be able to hang with you (not even SRT-8's). Take pleasure in that. The only thing worse than blowing your rear differential is blowing your sixth. :thumbsup:

JTWEX
02-23-06, 11:57 AM
The 2006 has the improved rear diff' and transmission along with the free NAV updates. That is reason enough to buy the 2006 vs. any leftover's from previous years.

Do not allow your V to wheel hop. You will learn when, how and why it hops and MUST avoid this at all costs. Slick roads, cold tires, cold roads, gravely roads, rain, ice, snow, quick shifting, high rpm launches among others cause wheel hopping. Hopping changes the pinion angle rapidly and violently and will literally shake your rear differential apart. Our resident engineers can explain this much better than I. JUST DON'T DO IT.

Avoiding the hop will cost you many a stoplight race (especially vs. SRT8's) because you'll NEVER hook out of the hole. But remember you didn't buy the V to street race or be the quickest to the next red light. It handles great and looks great so I suggest you use it accordingly. From a roll there's little on the road that will be able to hang with you (not even SRT-8's). Take pleasure in that. The only thing worse than blowing your rear differential is blowing your sixth. :thumbsup:

I'm guessing the KARS Stage 3 anti-wheelhop kit will help but you still need to be careful out the hole. I'm not sure about voiding the warranty (which mods would do this?) so I plan on leaving her stock for a year to make sure of the initial quality. This Magna looks like a bad ass mod but have to figure it voids everything except the paint. http://www.premiertruckaccessories.com/magnachargerctsv.html

stkshkr
02-23-06, 02:53 PM
yes the Maggie is "bad ass", but you can do much better on the price

JTWEX
02-23-06, 03:32 PM
yes the Maggie is "bad ass", but you can do much better on the price

Yea, just started looking & wont be doing anything anyway until I am satisfied with voiding my warranty....at least a year. I think I can get away with changing the exhaust though. I've read the "Mods" to-do's lists & it still is very confusing which ones to do & which ones to let go. Personal taste I guess. As far as the price goes I have to factor in knowledge of the mechanic cause I can't do anything that major. I remember the EBCM fried on my Allante & the online store sent me out a replacement (Cad wanted $5k & I got it for $900 - rebuilt of course). They begged me to do the install myself & sent me out the 123's steps. I took it to a local shop (who let me watch the work) & everything that could go wrong went wrong. Nothing like not being able to stop cause you did the work yourself.

Anyway..will need a good mechanic in Chicago to do all the work (& trust him when he makes suggestions). When he tells me I need a new "Johnson Rod" I need to believe him. :rolleyes:

brandonbyrd
02-23-06, 03:38 PM
maine the cts is a bad asss car