: Edmunds and KBB Invoice vs Dealer "Invoice"

The Pawnbroker
02-22-06, 04:11 AM
I have my "GM Order Workbench" copy in front of me. It shows several prices as follows:

MSRP: $64,955.00
Invoice: $60,861.68
GMS: $57,572.48
Supplier: $60,159.87

1) The Edmonds.com invoice price is $59,422. Why is the invoice price on the order sheet $1439.68 higher than the Edmunds.com invoice price?
2) What is GMS and Supplier price?

This is for an '07 with every option except 22's (18" chrome instead).

Thanks.

hcvone
02-22-06, 08:47 AM
When I looked up KBB invoice price it was the same as the dealer invoice price as I was being charged, if I add the dealers $200.00 that he is charging me. My sticker price was $65,860.00, invoice is $60,171.03

The Pawnbroker
02-23-06, 03:34 AM
I talked to the Sales Manager today. He told me that the difference is because of "A local advertising package". I thought it was probably something like that. Unfortunately, this deal is getting more and more uncomfortable to me from an ethics point of view. I am in no way offended by anyone wanting to make money (and as much as they can), but I do expect truthfulness in my business dealings.

hcvone
02-23-06, 09:43 AM
The advertising package around here is $895.00 I believe, the KBB adds that to their price. :)

senility
02-23-06, 08:01 PM
I talked to the Sales Manager today. He told me that the difference is because of "A local advertising package". I thought it was probably something like that. Unfortunately, this deal is getting more and more uncomfortable to me from an ethics point of view. I am in no way offended by anyone wanting to make money (and as much as they can), but I do expect truthfulness in my business dealings.

Try carsdirect.com. You will get a price upfront before you even talk to anyone. At the end of the process, that's the price you will pay. You can then check the price against Edmunds.com. Just look for the "have a dealer contact me" toggle and uncheck it. Then you only deal with the carsdirect folks. Bought my last 3 vehicles from them. Only way to go when you despise car dealers like me.

Read Chapter 7 of The Grapes of Wrath. Steinbeck knew what these salesmen were about back during the Depression and as you read it, you realize that nothing has changed in 75 years.

A local talk radio personality was going on one morning about his car shopping experience. He was telling how the salesman was not allowed to tell him the price of the vehicle (he was told this later by the sales manager).

Now, do we buy anything else the same way? Go into the local supermarket, march up to the meat counter and make an "offer" on their fillets. Note how the meat cutter will NOT ask you "what's it going to take to get you into that fillet today" or better, "what sort of monthly payment are you looking for"?

Dan <><

Rolex
02-23-06, 08:20 PM
ask you "what's it going to take to get you into that fillet today" or better, "what sort of monthly payment are you looking for"?

Dan <><

We have a hatred in common Dan.

I tried to buy a used truck a few years back from Reliable Chevrolet in Springfield, Missouri. I told the sales-boy all I wanted to know was the dollar price I was paying for the vehicle, and the rate they intended to finance the truck for me. I told him under no circumstances should he bring back only a monthly payment. :thehand: Now I know he told the big shot sales manager this, who sent him back with $745 per month written on a torn scrap of paper. :mad: That price for a 3 year old single cab truck with an inflated tag of 24k on it (aveage retail of 19k)?!?!?!?

When they ask you what you're willing to pay per month, either square their arse away or get up and walk out. Whatever you say you can pay is exactly what they'll try to stick to you.

The big-bellied sales mgr came over with his rotton-toothed smile and tried to win me over with his charm and fair odor of black coffee and stale cigarettes. I just glared at him when he extended his hand to me, told him I disliked playing used car salesman games and walked out.

"Boy we aren't making any money on that truck at that price. We only have to ask bottom dollar for our used cars because we're a 'VOLUME DEALER'." The only thing that Reliable Chevrolet deals in great volume is steaming piles of salesman bulls-h-i-t. :rant2:

senility
02-23-06, 10:36 PM
sales-boy

LMAO! Yep, they're always losing their hiney on your deal. So what pays for the fancy showrooms and that marlin mounted on the wall? The good news is that I am so much better off than my father because there is so much more information available to me that wasn't available to him. So the sales turds still try the same old saw, but now you know when they're lying (which you can tell because they're blowing the happy gas about how good they're treating you on this "deal"). I gotta stop now, I could rant all day. Information is a good thing and it's about time they get some payback.

Dan <>

TaTownBacker
02-23-06, 11:50 PM
The big-bellied sales mgr came over with his rotton-toothed smile and tried to win me over with his charm and fair odor of black coffee and stale cigarettes. I just glared at him when he extended his hand to me, told him I disliked playing used car salesman games and walked out.

Thats one of the funniest descriptions I have ever read. That is exactly how I picture all sales managers at car dealerships. I can smell their odor as I type this. Makes me sick!

Ta TownBacker

tmcorson
02-24-06, 10:41 AM
GMS= General Motors Supplier. It is the price that employees of companies that supply parts to GM can get. It is different than the standard supplier price however. I work for a large corperation that provides GM with most of their interior pieces including the Home Link system. I got a great deal when we bought our '05 Escalade. I hade to register and provide the dealer a special PIN Number. I went to one dealership and they flat refused to sell me anything if I was useing the GSM discount.

senility
02-24-06, 12:40 PM
GMS= General Motors Supplier. It is the price that employees of companies that supply parts to GM can get. It is different than the standard supplier price however. I work for a large corperation that provides GM with most of their interior pieces including the Home Link system. I got a great deal when we bought our '05 Escalade. I hade to register and provide the dealer a special PIN Number. I went to one dealership and they flat refused to sell me anything if I was useing the GSM discount.

When I bought my Escalade thru Carsdirect.com, I was eligible for the GMS discount. The quote was about the same as Carsdirect but I would have had to pay income tax on the difference between MSRP and the discount (some IRS rule). So Carsdirect's price was the best I could find. And it's true that it's up to the dealer whether they want to give you the discount or not. Also, don't forget to factor in any holdbacks. When they tell you you're getting the vehicle below invoice, they're still making $$$ on it.

Dan <><