: why not to street race

ctsvett
02-22-06, 12:36 AM
Say this on the news and OCHOALE sent me the link...

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=3927255

A friendly reminder why street racing is dangerous (to your wallet too)...

I DO NOT want to see a picture of a V like this.

Reed

cdog533
02-22-06, 01:03 AM
Um, not to be critical, but he wasn't 'street racing'.

From the report, it sounds like he lost it in the twisties. Going fast on the street has a bad enough rap, without us blaming every dumb/rich guy's single car accident on 'street racing'.

Let's go fast -- but safely.

ctsvett
02-22-06, 01:15 AM
I just heard the report just now on the news and they said (my paraphrase)

"they left bevery hills early in the morning and tried to see which car was faster. The other car was a Mercedes which they are still looking for. The owner (who claimed he was not driving) had a Blood Alchol level of .09. There is evidence that MAY lead to the conclusion that he was driving (blood on the airbag/ cuts on his face/ no other blood stains in the car)."

According to the news, there is every belief it was a street race.

I am not telling people not to street race, you are all adults. This is just a reminder to many of the consequences (and nobody died in this one)... Its a sobering reminder (to me as well) of what can happen. I dont want to see my car on the news like that.

Reed

51PHFTY
02-22-06, 01:24 AM
Um, not to be critical, but he wasn't 'street racing'.

From the report, it sounds like he lost it in the twisties. Going fast on the street has a bad enough rap, without us blaming every dumb/rich guy's single car accident on 'street racing'.

Let's go fast -- but safely.

Actually, according to the reports I heard, he was racing a Mercedes SLR (which took off after the accident happened) along Pacific Coast Highway and in the area the accident happened, PCH is a four lane highway = not a lot of twistys. To me, it sure sounds like "street racing."

Just my $.02.

Marty

Koooop
02-22-06, 01:59 AM
I bet his Dad is PISSED!

LV_V
02-22-06, 05:03 AM
Thats awesome: "the driver fled the scene". C'mon, you were driving an Enzo, hope it was stolen (for the driver's sake!).

CIWS
02-22-06, 06:16 AM
Thank goodness we have several tracks, both 1/8 - 1/4 and "oval" types in this area to run on :)

The only reason to run is to avoid being caught for DUI, but they'll tag you for leaving the scene instead. (plus a few others if they can)

turbojimmy
02-22-06, 06:17 AM
Thats awesome: "the driver fled the scene". C'mon, you were driving an Enzo, hope it was stolen (for the driver's sake!).

I was thinking the same thing. It's not like it was a gray Honda Civic. You think maybe they can count all of the Enzo owners in California on one hand? Ditto with the SLR. I hope they find the other guy.

Jim

Geno
02-22-06, 07:57 AM
Fortunately in the state of Virginia we do not have a problem with street racing. I think it's listed as a capital offense punishable by a life sentence with no parole, if not lethal injection.:rolleyes:

urbanski
02-22-06, 08:00 AM
i saw that on fox news
damn thing was cut in half
he HAD to be drunk...the drunk driver NEVER gets hurt :rolleyes:

crowan
02-22-06, 09:06 AM
FINALLY!

A used Enzo that I can afford! :highfive:

CR

turbojimmy
02-22-06, 09:10 AM
FINALLY!

A used Enzo that I can afford! :highfive:

CR

I'd bet that carcass is probably worth more than all of the cars in my driveway put together.

Jim

benjet
02-22-06, 11:21 AM
The car did its job, passengers *walked* away.

Staxxin
02-22-06, 12:21 PM
The car did its job, passengers *walked* away.

Wow, it is amazing they did....

roadracerx72
02-22-06, 01:24 PM
I'd bet that carcass is probably worth more than all of the cars in my driveway put together.

Jim

Do you have $250,000 worth of cars in your driveway?? That is what Ferrari is putting the total worth of the Enzo at when it was put on the flatbed.

DILLIGAF
02-22-06, 01:32 PM
Consequences suck!Thanks Reed.

M5eatr
02-22-06, 01:44 PM
Wow, it is great that the driver and passenger survived. I bet that guy is thinking one million dollars well spent. As an aside, the remaining Enzo's got to be going up in value. That is the third one I have seen totalled. There was another where both passengers died though.

ahahnu
02-22-06, 01:52 PM
I just came home from a trip to Ferrari Masarati of Central Jerz. Those cars are sweet. I think its awesome that our car performs just as good as the Quattroporte for half the price.

Lanman
02-22-06, 10:50 PM
Here's another article about the same accident.

http://www.thelocal.se/article.php?ID=3108

crowan
02-22-06, 11:51 PM
Do you have $250,000 worth of cars in your driveway?? That is what Ferrari is putting the total worth of the Enzo at when it was put on the flatbed.

Damn! I guess its NOT an Enzo that I can afford. :hide:

CR

Medicineman
02-23-06, 01:46 AM
Thought I’d share my “street racing” story here as a quick lesson that the simplest 3rd gear run can turn ugly quick.
Before you get the wrong idea that I was looking for a fight, we had just left a dinner party in LB (no alcohol) and turned onto the PCH (with the wife). The minute I turned off 2nd street I was shadowed by a 03-04 SVT Cobra. He lurked and taunted as we headed south towards home. We had one little spirited 2nd gear run as we left LB. Not wanting to push my luck (or piss of the wife) on a Saturday night I settled into a normal drive home after our short run…… That is until we hit the stretch along the PCH heading up into HB. With absolutely no traffic around, Mr.Rustang gets in my lane to try and slow me down to 50mph to get me to run. After doing this twice, I hear the wife say, “Stomp this idiot”!!!! Now in 5 years of marriage and multiple fun fast cars we have owned together, I had never heard her say that. This guy was wanting to play bad. I knew his SC SVT is quicker than the V (best friend has a 03 cobra), but I thought I’d get the jump on him and we’d have a good clean run. With the wife’s blessing I jumped into the left lane.
Well as I pulled up to his window at around 40mph, with the window cracked, I could hear he was in 3rd and his supercharger was rearing to go. This Jackass looked over and smiled and gave me this wave like “go ahead, I’ll still catch you in your dumb-ass Cadillac” as he waved us on. Seeing his hand wave motion I mashed the gas as I’ve done so many times before…… Well, I got the jump on him! Thank GOD we pulled ahead….. As we pulled through 3rd gear, just as I was about to bounce off the rev limiter, the wife starts yelling! “He’s going to hit us”!!!!!! “He’s going to hit us”!!!!!! As I’m about to shift gears, his headlights are now coming towards the rear door!!! I shifted the V to the far left of the lane in time to see him completely loose control, get sideways and hit the guardrail at 100mph!!!!! I’m now in 4th and pop of the gas…. The wife and I are both looking in the mirrors as he’s playing pinball with his SVT…..This section of the PCH is lined with those heavy concrete construction barriers on both sides.
First we hi-fived, then utter amazement set in how he lost control?
On the way home, I kept asking the wife, “Did he hit us”? She said no, “super close”, but he missed, but when we got home, I had a 2-foot scrape down the right rear fender!!!! His mirror had made the scrape. Funny thing, my friend came over with his SVT the next day and we lined up his mirror with the mark on the V.
I felt bad this happened to the guy, (ok not really) we watched him bounce off the rail so we knew he was OK, but there was no way I was going back to make sure. I’m still not sure what happen to him? Wet spot, tires, lost traction, etc. What ever it was, I think he made a rookie mistake of tapping the brakes when he lost traction at 100mph between 3rd-4th gear shift, and he was to stupid (or ego) to let up on the gas until it was to late.
Anyway, that was my quick lesson for the week, of how something so innocent and fun, can turn ugly real, real fast…..I feel EXTREMLY lucky:) So to all you V owners…. be extra careful!! You may be in control of your V, but the other guy may not be!!! Now I need an Enzo:)
Eugene

wildwhl
02-23-06, 09:26 AM
crowan -

I'll go halves with you on the Enzo and we can both own a quarter interest! :nono:

That's amazing the scrap value is that high...