: I bought me a 5.7 Brougham!!!

caddieboy
02-21-06, 07:59 PM
I finally got my new wheels, a 1992 Cadillac Brougham, Triple White with 41,000 orig. miles, and drove her from California to Ontario putting an additional 4000 miles on her. I won't say how much I paid so please don't ask. I paid what I think she's worth, and very happy with the overall expense including the 15% taxes just to get her into Canada!

You can read about it at http://cruisinasphault.livejournal.com (http://cruisinasphault.livejournal.com/) If you comment there, please add your Cadillacforums nickname so I know who commented. No pictures of her on the journal so that my friends are forced to see her in person. You're all the first to see her online!

BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!!

I wanted to thank everyone for their help for all the time I’ve been asking questions on this forum. This is going to put any Oscar Award speech to chame. Please don’t cue the music!!!

Special thanks to Destroyer who ultimately asked why I was interested in an ’89 Brougham. He turned me on to the 91s and 92s and I eventually bought a Triple White ’92 with a 5.7.

Thanks to N0DIH for is overall sound advice and the Carfax!!!

Thanks to Brougham and cmgrafmc for their advice on what to look for when checking out a used Brougham.

Thanks to Fleetwoodss for turning me on to Hemmings, which is where I eventually found my beast.

Thanks to Nightwolf and ocjmakaveli for their encouragement to go ahead and buy my dream car!

Thanks to Adhood219 for the advice on keeping my new wheels safer from theft with the Steering Column lock.

Thanks to Katshot and again to N0DIH for their advice while I was driving cross country in my new wheels, troubleshooting the shudder.

And a big shout out to ShadowLvr400, 90Brougham350 and Dopestar_156 for answering even the most specific of questions I’d dish out.

The others who have been there for me and whose advice I really appreciate and will always be thankful for include Caddycruiser, I~Luv~Cassys8792, CaddymanTom, Kev, guidematic, Gio1978, abdullahahone, Eldorado99, jon_s, Jtraik, Turbocaddy, FASSTWOOD, BroughamAdrois, big_blue, Rmartin0018, caliguy65 and BluEyes.

I’ll post pictures from the trip soon, but in the meantime, here’s one of my old 87 Brougham, which is being parted, and my new wheels. When my dad painted the ‘87, it was an el cheepo job and you can see they probably used any old white. I remember thinking WHOA! I know it’s white but was it THAT white? I’m sure it was originally creamier like my 92.

Thanks again to everyone!!!

http://usera.imagecave.com/quixie/caddie_old_new.jpg

caddycruiser
02-21-06, 08:22 PM
AWESOME car, especially in triple white!! Hope everything continues to go well with you and the car:thumbsup:

caddieboy
02-21-06, 08:31 PM
AWESOME car, especially in triple white!! Hope everything continues to go well with you and the car:thumbsup:

Yeah, The Triple White makes her a real looker and I keep getting thumbs up and admiring glances from other cars when I'm on the highway. She's in Mint MINT condition. Super clean. I can't wait to post more photos.

Thanks again dude! You've been a big help helping me get to this point!

Lord Cadillac
02-21-06, 08:52 PM
Congratulations! The Brougham is hot! When you find some time, please post images in our image section. There aren't many Mint Fleetwood Broughams like that anymore!!

caddieboy
02-21-06, 09:08 PM
Congratulations! The Brougham is hot! When you find some time, please post images in our image section. There aren't many Mint Fleetwood Broughams like that anymore!!

That's always nice to hear considering I own one! I'll post pics in the image section for sure! I'll have to figure out how as I've never done it before. I have lots of cool shots of her on the trip from California to Ontario including...

Big Sur, California
Death Valley, California
Las Vegas, Nevada
Grand Canyon, Arizona
Monument Valley, Utah/Arizona
Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, Texas
Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee

And then I caught the Superbowl in Pittsburgh, and the Steelers WON! It was some kind of first drive in my new wheels, lemme tell ya!

All the details at http://cruisinasphault.livejournal.com

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-21-06, 09:10 PM
The 90-92 Broughams are awesome (best looking Caddy ever IMO)

The fact that its a triple white makes it even cooler, and the fact that its a triple white brougham makes it even cooler! Plus, its only got 41k miles!

My dream Brougham is a triple white 1991 with the 5.7, optional wire wheelcovers, with the D'Elegance package and the astroroof.

caddieboy
02-21-06, 09:22 PM
The 90-92 Broughams are awesome (best looking Caddy ever IMO)

The fact that its a triple white makes it even cooler, and the fact that its a triple white brougham makes it even cooler! Plus, its only got 41k miles!

My dream Brougham is a triple white 1991 with the 5.7, optional wire wheelcovers, with the D'Elegance package and the astroroof.

Well, it has almost 46k miles since I drove it cross the US, taking a scenic route of course. Amazing first drive in my new wheels!!! I don't know if I mentioned, but it's the D'Elegance interior and Gold Emblem package. And under the hood is CLEAN! I've never seen such a clean car. Even the emblems have super ruby red, not faded.

Why do you want a 1991 and not a 1992? Aren't they pretty much the same? I think the 1992 has a slightly better paintjob, but that's it. I too wanted an Astroroof, sort of. Not really, but it is cool!!! Also, you want the wire wheels, or wire wheel covers?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-21-06, 09:48 PM
Wait, nevermind I was wrong. 1992 is the year I prefer because IIRC, they lowered the side moldings on the '92s.

1992:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/92brod.jpg

1991:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/91bro.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-21-06, 09:49 PM
Also, you want the wire wheels, or wire wheel covers?

Covers. I think they're better looking, more "traditional" but either is better than those horrid standard wheel discs.

caddycruiser
02-21-06, 09:53 PM
Wait, nevermind I was wrong. 1992 is the year I prefer because IIRC, they lowered the side moldings on the '92s.

1992:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/92brod.jpg

1991:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/91bro.jpg

Wow...the wire wheels definately look a lot better than those wire caps you seem to see on every Brougham in existence. I don't usually like the older ones, but I'd take a '92 if it had the right color, options, and a set of the better wheels!:)

caddieboy
02-21-06, 10:04 PM
Wow...the wire wheels definately look a lot better than those wire caps you seem to see on every Brougham in existence. I don't usually like the older ones, but I'd take a '92 if it had the right color, options, and a set of the better wheels!:)

That's why I asked, I have the Wire Wheel covers (also Mint), but the Wire Wheels/Spoke Rims are kickass gorgeous!!!

caddieboy
02-21-06, 10:12 PM
Covers. I think they're better looking, more "traditional" but either is better than those horrid standard wheel discs.

I like the spoke wheels (top picture you posted) way more than the covers (bottom photo you posted). I haven't seen the standard wheel covers too often. Usually they're wire caps.

96Fleetwood
02-21-06, 10:13 PM
Congrats on a very good purchase! My cousin just bought almost the same car and paid ~$7K. He already had a guy offer him $8500 when he was filling it up.

Lord Cadillac
02-21-06, 10:26 PM
Congrats on a very good purchase! My cousin just bought almost the same car and paid ~$7K. He already had a guy offer him $8500 when he was filling it up.

This goes to show how much these are wanted cars.. The design really is unique. Still one of the classiest looking cars on the road, in my opinion.

caddieboy
02-21-06, 10:42 PM

A guy in my building offered me $11,000 Canadian a few days after I said no to his $10,000 offer he gave me when I showed him under the hood and he looked under the car. It doesn't have a speck of rust underneath or under the hood. It looks like it just came off the assembly line. I think he gets the idea I'm not selling her. I'm going to own her till the day I die.

caddieboy
02-21-06, 10:45 PM
This goes to show how much these are wanted cars.. The design really is unique. Still one of the classiest looking cars on the road, in my opinion.

I agree totally! Nothing beats the style of the Broughams. Super classy ride! Heads turn like crazy to see such a beast.

And they are wanted, not only because people want to buy them, but also because nobody wants to sell them!!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 12:06 AM
If the 90-92 Broughams had a trip computer and a LT1 standard, it would be my favorite car ever.

If it had other niceties like an adjustable suspension (95-03 Continental) that would only be icing on the cake.

Seeing your two white Broughams side by side makes me envious :sneaky:
It also proves that I really like the 90-92 style more.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 12:45 AM
Hey how does the 92's steering compare to the '87's?

caddieboy
02-22-06, 12:56 AM
If the 90-92 Broughams had a trip computer and a LT1 standard, it would be my favorite car ever.

If it had other niceties like an adjustable suspension (95-03 Continental) that would only be icing on the cake.

Seeing your two white Broughams side by side makes me envious :sneaky:
It also proves that I really like the 90-92 style more.

I too wish there was a trip computer!!! I posted about it, hoping it was possible to add, but I've since discovered that I don't miss it. I've never experienced an LT1 but the power of the 5.7 I have is pleanty for me. I have yet to push her hard and don't feel any inclination to do so. I've never been a speed demon.

I like the style of my '92 from the front, but the side at the front, I like it more on the '87. I like both the 92 and 87 in their headlamp stylings. Different, but both I love equally!

Benzilla
02-22-06, 01:13 AM
That was mine too, then I found this...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Cadillac_guy/100_0220.jpg
she is a mint condition '90 d'Elegance with an astroroof and CD player...Oh and a 350... can you say rare?:cool2:

By the way, you said they moved the side moulding on the '92? I've never head of that before, whats differant?

caddieboy
02-22-06, 01:32 AM
By the way, you said they moved the side moulding on the '92? I've never head of that before, whats differant?

I have the factory CD player as well, which is sweet! Unfortunately the tape player doesn't work in terms of the eject and swallow part. I don't have the additional speakers since they forgot to add the factory CD, so they installed it before the original owner picked it up and probably gave him a kickback for the mistake.

As for the difference on the side, it's not the best, but different and something about it I like more than the '92, but since it's not perfect, I like the '92. Just something about the aesthetic is nicer, if it was a little neater. The front bumper wrapping and going all the way to the wheel well lacks something.

Here's an example of the older style...

http://www.classiccars.de/Oldyrent/plz4/images/49500.jpg

brougham
02-22-06, 01:48 AM
Nice car caddieboy! Im glad you found one the way you wanted it :)

caddieboy
02-22-06, 02:43 AM
Nice car caddieboy! Im glad you found one the way you wanted it :)

Thanks dude! I'm still floored by it. All the reactions from friends and my mom have been priceless. They've all been freaking out! Even people in my building have been asking about her and one guy has made multiple offers on her. I'm going to try and keep her in as good a shape as possible.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 12:38 PM
Do you get the same reactions with your 87 Brougham?

caddieboy
02-22-06, 12:55 PM
Do you get the same reactions with your 87 Brougham?

Not with the crappy paint job she had, but when the rims started rusting, and the difference between new steel rims and 15" American Racing rims was only $30 each, I threw those on and yeah, I got looks. The flashy rims made her a little more eyecatching. I was all ready to paint her blue with a new white top and then the dash and steering column were ripped apart, but they couldn't steal her. But I started looking for a new ride instead of fixing her.

Since the '92 has flawless hubcaps and new Uniroyal original tires (the guy I bought from knows a guy who gave him a good deal) I may put the American Racings on her since I'm parting out the '87, and keep the flawless caps and tires for shows. I'd hate to muck them up.

http://www.americanracing.com/dealerline/blackimages/mega/m62.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 01:45 PM
Put that wheel on a Brougham?!

I dont think so! It's like the wheels I had on my Roadmaster when I bought them.
Like those, but not as nice, and I had red line tires on them! :yuk:
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/crr-397_w.jpg

I would buy some of the same hubcaps in not as good condition and just use those daily.

caddieboy
02-22-06, 02:01 PM
Put that wheel on a Brougham?!

I dont think so! It's like the wheels I had on my Roadmaster when I bought them.
Like those, but not as nice, and I had red line tires on them! :yuk:

I would buy some of the same hubcaps in not as good condition and just use those daily.

I have the old caps from my '87. I like the American Racing tires on the '87. A lot! I have the black walls, put the white wall on the inside. I prefer the original spoke and may get some at some point, just not now. For the interim, I'll probably put the American Racing's on her and keep the orig. tires and caps from aging and damage. I'm sure they'll look good as they looked awesome on the '87. Brings the classiness down a bit, but it wil still get looks. Little bit younger too.

Destroyer
02-22-06, 07:07 PM
Sweeeet!:thumbsup: My 91 is in great shape but I'm sure your 41k mile beauty puts it to shame. I wish I took a pic of my 91 and my 87 together, that looks nice. Good luck with it!

CaddymanTom
02-22-06, 07:08 PM
Nice ride Caddieboy! I love taking my 87 Brougham on the road. As for the wires I too would go with the real ones. (As that is what I have on mine and I love the look) If you can find them. I am not a big fan of white cars however yours could just change my mind. Many happy miles on your new Brougham !

caddieboy
02-22-06, 07:34 PM
Nice ride Caddieboy! I love taking my 87 Brougham on the road. As for the wires I too would go with the real ones. (As that is what I have on mine and I love the look) If you can find them. I am not a big fan of white cars however yours could just change my mind. Many happy miles on your new Brougham !

Thanks CaddymanTom!!! The miles will all be happy, that much I'm sure of!!! The car isn't as white as it is creamy. It's a very nice white. You can kind of see the difference in the pic. I think the painter my dad got used leftover paint from a Honda Civic.

I'm seriously considering a set of this rim:

http://i15.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/7a/ac/5b_12.JPG

Expensive at about $350 each, but they're brand new and seem to be really well built with triple chrome plating. The gold accent.

I like this style more, but hate anything with spinners. I'll have to call and see. Hopefully I can get the bottom button with the top rim even though the old school is nice, not sure it would fit as well.

http://i10.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/f3/f8/75_12.JPG

The seller is wirewheelworld on Ebay.

CaddymanTom
02-22-06, 07:52 PM
I have seen the top style on a couple Broughams around where I live and I like the look. I too don't car for the spinners but to each his/her own. That wheel company has a great reputation. I have some friends in my local car club that have purchased wheels from them and they are very happy. :thumbsup:

caddieboy
02-22-06, 07:57 PM
Sweeeet!:thumbsup: My 91 is in great shape but I'm sure your 41k mile beauty puts it to shame. I wish I took a pic of my 91 and my 87 together, that looks nice. Good luck with it!

The newness of her is pretty uncanny. I can't wait till the winter is over, taking a clay bar to her and waxing her real nice. I actually also have a shot with all three caddies, including the '90 Fleetwood, but she's red and I plan on selling her. She was my dad's car and I never much liked her. She is awesome in the winter though.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 08:24 PM
Destroyer, you should get a pic of your Brougham with your S320!

caddieboy
02-22-06, 09:01 PM
I have seen the top style on a couple Broughams around where I live and I like the look. I too don't car for the spinners but to each his/her own. That wheel company has a great reputation. I have some friends in my local car club that have purchased wheels from them and they are very happy. :thumbsup:

I'm so glad you told me this!!! When buying off the internet, even Ebay with lots of good comments, it's always nice to hear that. I figure if they'll do the top style with the button from the bottom one, it's done. I'll get them!

You hear that sound? It's the sound of a cavernous and empty savings account. :D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-22-06, 09:26 PM
You hear that sound? It's the sound of a cavernous and empty savings account. :D

Yup, thats what we like to call the "Cadillac Epidemic" :D

Bro-Ham
02-23-06, 03:17 AM
Hi Caddieboy,

Glad you found such a unique and nice car that you love! Sounds like you had a fun field trip getting it home. It's exciting to be around people who have such great passions for cars!

Dave

caddieboy
02-23-06, 10:40 AM
Hi Caddieboy,

Glad you found such a unique and nice car that you love! Sounds like you had a fun field trip getting it home. It's exciting to be around people who have such great passions for cars!

Dave

Thanks Dave!!! Did you read my journal? The trip home was absolutely amazing. In just 2 weeks I grew a strong attachment to Albuquerque Queen and it was an amazing first trip with her. Such varying topography and amazing sights to see. Aside from Sacramento to San Francisco, my first highway trip down the Pacific Coast highway to Big Sur was a great first journey. That's probably one of the most scenic and ultimate drives in the US!!!

I'd say I'm most passionate about Cadillacs, not just any old car. But I do quite like the old Volvo 1800s. Might have to get me one of those. If I had a 10 car garage and enough money, I'd have MANY MANY cars!

N0DIH
02-23-06, 05:00 PM
Looks sharp! I would love to get a 92 with an LT1 or LS2 V8...

Or better yet, an L92 6.2L V8 (400hp/400 lb ft). Or the ultimate, 8100 V8 Mark VI BB.

Yeah, I know, it isn't Cad powered, but is modern.

that is what I would do if I won that lottery ticket!!

caddieboy
02-23-06, 05:12 PM

Or better yet, an L92 6.2L V8 (400hp/400 lb ft). Or the ultimate, 8100 V8 Mark VI BB.

I like to look at it and drive it more than enjoy the power of pressing the pedal. The 5.7 stock engine will do me fine for a million miles. =oD

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-23-06, 07:23 PM
The stock 5.7 in that car provides pretty good performance all things considered. 0-60 in 9.4 and a 17.1 second 1/4 mile.

caddieboy
02-23-06, 07:25 PM
The stock 5.7 in that car provides pretty good performance all things considered. 0-60 in 9.4 and a 17.1 second 1/4 mile.

It certainly has a lot of guts!!! I've only pushed her a few times for a bit of fun and was impressed with how it jumped. I don't do a lot of that though, so it will be a lot of wasted power. Nice to know it's there though!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-23-06, 08:04 PM
IIRC, the 307 Brougham's 0-60 is like 11-12 seconds.

the3rdalien
02-23-06, 08:09 PM

The new LS2 is 400/400. Was gonna buy one yesterday.But for a '90-'92 brougham, you need different trans to bolt up-$2700.00. Then a controller and harness, approx. 3 grand, then a ecm and harness for a 'vette, I didn't want to know how much that was. I bought a new 290hp/5.7 for now. Just getting the old 5.7 out was a nightmare thanks to those nice GM engineers.Getting the new one back in won't be fun either.
To Caddyboy...your ride looks sweet.

caddieboy
02-23-06, 08:13 PM
The new LS2 is 400/400. Was gonna buy one yesterday.But for a '90-'92 brougham, you need different trans to bolt up-$2700.00. Then a controller and harness, approx. 3 grand, then a ecm and harness for a 'vette, I didn't want to know how much that was. I bought a new 290hp/5.7 for now. Just getting the old 5.7 out was a nightmare thanks to those nice GM engineers.Getting the new one back in won't be fun either.
To Caddyboy...your ride looks sweet.

At 185hp and 300 lbs torque, I'm freaking happy as hell! That's not to say I wouldn't mind driving your 290hp monster to see how it feels. But for the way I drive, I'm just not inclines to go above and beyond. If I had an old 307 though, I'd definitely want more uumph!

caddieboy
02-23-06, 08:23 PM
IIRC, the 307 Brougham's 0-60 is like 11-12 seconds.

I think the 305 might do 60 in 11-12 seconds, but the 307 in my '87 I think it was more like 14-15 seconds. I don't know what IIRC means though.

brougham
02-23-06, 08:51 PM
I think the 305 might do 60 in 11-12 seconds, but the 307 in my '87 I think it was more like 14-15 seconds. I don't know what IIRC means though.

The 5L ones are supposed to be around 14-14 seconds. You must notice a big difference with the 350!

caddieboy
02-23-06, 08:56 PM
The 5L ones are supposed to be around 14-14 seconds. You must notice a big difference with the 350!

Yes, very VERY noticable difference. Specially when you're moving on the highway and want to go faster. It's not a delayed reaction and a gradual increase. You get to the speed you want right away! or almost right away. It reacts fast!

The 5L ones in 1991 and 1992 went from 140hp to 175hp with the addition of fuel injection.

Destroyer
02-24-06, 12:00 AM
Yes, very VERY noticable difference. Specially when you're moving on the highway and want to go faster. It's not a delayed reaction and a gradual increase. You get to the speed you want right away! or almost right away. It reacts fast!

The 5L ones in 1991 and 1992 went from 140hp to 175hp with the addition of fuel injection.When I got my 91 it had the 5.0 litre motor. It ran great but smoked. It was much quicker than my 87 w/307. I had a freshly rebuilt L98 motor in the garage from an 87 Iroc 5.7 so I dropped it into the Caddy. Got rid of the TBI and put on an aftermarket carb/intake plus a slew of other aftermarket parts. Its pretty friegin quick now (for the its size anyway). Just the other day I raced my friends '97 GT Mustang convertible w/exhaust, pulley, 5spd, and a few other bolt ons and I beat him by about a car length to 90mph from about 30mph. That felt great plus he was like holy shit, that thing sounds awesome from the back............he would know. :thumbsup:

caddieboy
02-24-06, 12:07 PM
When I got my 91 it had the 5.0 litre motor. It ran great but smoked. It was much quicker than my 87 w/307. I had a freshly rebuilt L98 motor in the garage from an 87 Iroc 5.7 so I dropped it into the Caddy. Got rid of the TBI and put on an aftermarket carb/intake plus a slew of other aftermarket parts. Its pretty friegin quick now (for the its size anyway). Just the other day I raced my friends '97 GT Mustang convertible w/exhaust, pulley, 5spd, and a few other bolt ons and I beat him by about a car length to 90mph from about 30mph. That felt great plus he was like holy shit, that thing sounds awesome from the back............he would know. :thumbsup:

I swore the '79 Deville my dad had when I was in highschool with its monster engine could take my friend's '89 5.0 Mustang. Maybe not, but I fell into the seat when I pushed her. It sure felt fast and I'm sure I would have given him a run for his money. That thing could jump. Imagine how long it took to get used to the '87 Brougham with the 307. It took a while!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-24-06, 12:58 PM
IIRC means If I remember correctly.

15 seconds sounds about right for that 307

I know Cadillac quoted 14 seconds 0-60 for a 5.0 Brougham, but they didnt specify which 5.0 V8 it was.

Between the 305 and 350, the 350 has a 15hp increase and 45 lb/ft increase. Does that make a real big difference??

N0DIH
02-24-06, 01:57 PM
Even installing a L98 TPI intake and EFI on an otherwise stock 350 would be a slick torque improvement.

If I had a L05 350, I would:

Get some off the shelf GM Vortec heads (new $500 or so)
TPI Vortec Intake base (Edelbrock)
TPI runners and plenum (GM, boneyard, classifieds/eBay)
L98 PCM EFI it (GM, boneyard, classifieds/eBay)
Headers if they will last, GM ones if they exist for OEM apps (D body? Hmmm...)
LT1 cam (or one VERY close to B/D Body specs, not F/Y Body specs!)
4L60/THM700 R4 trans
3.08-3.23 gears

this would make a nice stout daily driver....

the3rdalien
02-24-06, 09:16 PM
At 185hp and 300 lbs torque, I'm freaking happy as hell! That's not to say I wouldn't mind driving your 290hp monster to see how it feels. But for the way I drive, I'm just not inclines to go above and beyond. If I had an old 307 though, I'd definitely want more uumph!
I know how you feel with the response and quickness of your 185 hp 5.7L. My '91 felt the same way until it started running bad. I couldn't believe it was only 185 hp. But nothing I did or the advise from this site could solve the problem...so, new engine, and it was the lowest hp one the dealer had in stock. If everything goes well, the car should really blow my mind sunday when it should be completed.(I hope) -- Your car is nicer though.

caddieboy
02-28-06, 12:56 PM
IIRC means If I remember correctly.

15 seconds sounds about right for that 307

I know Cadillac quoted 14 seconds 0-60 for a 5.0 Brougham, but they didnt specify which 5.0 V8 it was.

Between the 305 and 350, the 350 has a 15hp increase and 45 lb/ft increase. Does that make a real big difference??

I'm pretty sure the 305 is a few seconds less than the 14 quoted, so they must have been taling abiout the 307. The 305 isn't THAT must slower than the 350 as you observed, I doubt it makes a real big difference.

caddieboy
02-28-06, 01:02 PM
Even installing a L98 TPI intake and EFI on an otherwise stock 350 would be a slick torque improvement.

Get some off the shelf GM Vortec heads (new $500 or so)
TPI Vortec Intake base (Edelbrock)
TPI runners and plenum (GM, boneyard, classifieds/eBay)
L98 PCM EFI it (GM, boneyard, classifieds/eBay)
Headers if they will last, GM ones if they exist for OEM apps (D body? Hmmm...)
LT1 cam (or one VERY close to B/D Body specs, not F/Y Body specs!)
4L60/THM700 R4 trans
3.08-3.23 gears

Hehehe! I find it Stout as it is!!! Plus, I'm not looking to spend too much more on her. New plugs and wires, Rotor, distributor, ignition coil and fuel filter are all I'm changing for now. Maybe new rims on the spring. :)

caddieboy
02-28-06, 01:05 PM
I know how you feel with the response and quickness of your 185 hp 5.7L. My '91 felt the same way until it started running bad. I couldn't believe it was only 185 hp. But nothing I did or the advise from this site could solve the problem...so, new engine, and it was the lowest hp one the dealer had in stock. If everything goes well, the car should really blow my mind sunday when it should be completed.(I hope) -- Your car is nicer though.

Thanks, hope the new engine solved the problem you were having. I'll be crushed if the shudder I'm experiencing with very light gas to maintain speed persists. I'm pretty sure the changes I'm making will solve things as most of the parts are likely original and could stand to be changed.

How did you make out with the new engine? Complete yet? How does she run? Still have that 5.7 power? Did you mean it was the lowest power 5.7 they had?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-28-06, 01:52 PM
I'm pretty sure the 305 is a few seconds less than the 14 quoted, so they must have been taling abiout the 307. The 305 isn't THAT must slower than the 350 as you observed, I doubt it makes a real big difference.

Yeah you're right, when Cadillac quoted a 0-60 of 14 seconds for the 5.0 V8, it was in 1990, which means it was the 307. A 305 should be able to do it in like 10-11 seconds, still not fast by any means, but better than anything from 1980-90.

Makes you wonder what the 0-60 time for the HT4100 FWB's are! :shocked:

brougham
02-28-06, 08:59 PM
5.7L engines have more horsepower and more torque then then the 5L ones do. How can you even guess that it's 10-11 seconds when you haven't even driven both of those cars before?

caddieboy
02-28-06, 09:36 PM
How can you even guess that it's 10-11 seconds when you haven't even driven both of those cars before?

Actually, all he can do is guess if he hasn't driven both of those cars before. I'd say it's a pretty good guess. It's definitely going to be between the 9.4 seconds of the 350 and and approximate 14 seconds of the 307.

307 - 140 hp - 346 lb.-ft.@2000 rpm - 14 secs
305 - 170 hp - 255 lb.-ft.@2400 rpm - x secs
350 - 175 hp - 295 lb.-ft.@2400 rpm - y secs
350 - 185 hp - 300 lb.-ft.@2400 rpm - 9.4 secs

Would love to know hear about track speeds of the 305, 307 and 350s from anyone that has them. Preferrably off stock cars.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-01-06, 11:23 AM
How can you even guess that it's 10-11 seconds when you haven't even driven both of those cars before?

I just went in between the 5.7 and the 5.0 powered Brougham's 0-60 times and I figured 10-11 seconds. The 305 almost has the horsepower of the 350 (15 less), but it has an identical torque output as the 307.

1991 Brougham: 4276 lbs
Power/ Weight Ratio w/ 305: 27.8 lb/hp
Power/ Weight Ratio w/ 350: 23.1 lb/hp

Torque/ Weight Ratio w/ 305: 16.7 lb/lbft
Torque/ Weight Ratio w/ 350 :14.2 lb/lbft

Destroyer
03-01-06, 02:42 PM

4L60/THM700 R4 trans
3.08-3.23 gears

4L60 and 3:08 gears are standard stuff on the 91-92 Broughams:thumbsup:

caddieboy
03-01-06, 04:39 PM
4L60 and 3:08 gears are standard stuff on the 91-92 Broughams:thumbsup:

What are the gears on my 1987 Brougham? Can I use that tranny in my new beast? I obviously wouldn't need it for a while, but I could store it.

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 03:59 PM

The 5L ones in 1991 and 1992 went from 140hp to 175hp with the addition of fuel injection.

EXACTLY! I've never seen anyone else have the same description of a 350 TBI Fleetwood/Brougham as I do until now. Though the big talk still centers around the LT1, our '93 Fleetwood with the same 350 really CAN jump off the line and chirp the tires quite readily (almost always when I drive:thumbsup: ), but what I've always been impressed most with is highway power--cruising at normal higher speeds, just a little bit more pedal, and it just seems to take off like a beast, and is smooth as a turbine in the process. Totally amazing to me for the paltry 185 hp rating.

That's why I nicknamed our '93 "the turbine"--it just feels like one. I still haven't driven my '95 enough to get a feel for what it's really like (...1 more day...), but my first impressions are that it is quite a bit jumpier off the line, about the same when cruising, and shifts quite a bit differently with the electronic vs. hydraulic transmission control...where the '93 will hold gears longer and gently let them off, the '95 seems to "snick" through them a little crisper and quicker, but also shifts a bit more I think.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-02-06, 04:41 PM
Damnit! All this talk of 5.7 Broughams makes me want to drive one so bad!

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 07:57 PM
Damnit! All this talk of 5.7 Broughams makes me want to drive one so bad!

Ehh...not a whole lot different than your Roadmaster, just a little slower and heavier. The TBI cars still aren't as quick as the LT1's, but do seem very, very smooth and strong in the Caddy's...or at least it seems so.

Our '92 Roadmaster with the same engine but a 3:08 posi rear feels and even sounds completely different, and definately doesn't have much of a "zing" to it at all. Definately has some guts and will move, but for some reason, not as much so as the Fleetwood seems...the 193k miles have a bit to do with that though, I would think.

ELMO
03-02-06, 08:06 PM
I have a 1993 fleetwood brougham, the heater blower motor only runs on very low or not at all. On the inital start sometime it will blow for a short time and then goes to very low speed. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 09:17 PM
I have a 1993 fleetwood brougham, the heater blower motor only runs on very low or not at all. On the inital start sometime it will blow for a short time and then goes to very low speed. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Don't post this here...go back to the main thread and start a new topic.

Go here and make a new thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-02-06, 09:42 PM
Ehh...not a whole lot different than your Roadmaster, just a little slower and heavier.

1995 Roadmaster: 0-60: ~7.5 seconds, 1/4 mile: ~15.7 seconds
1993 Fleetwood Brougham: 0-60: ~9.2 seconds, 1/4 mile: 16.9 seconds

I think thats more than a "little slower" but yeah...

caddycruiser
03-02-06, 11:15 PM
1995 Roadmaster: 0-60: ~7.5 seconds, 1/4 mile: ~15.7 seconds
1993 Fleetwood Brougham: 0-60: ~9.2 seconds, 1/4 mile: 16.9 seconds

I think thats more than a "little slower" but yeah...

Haha, yeah, I guess so. I'm talking more in terms of real world feel. Comparing my dad's '93 TBI to my '95 LT1, we both seem to think they feel pretty similar in daily driving. Well, of coure, unless you plant it from a red light...the '95 seems a bit better at racing from a dead stop:thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-03-06, 12:24 AM
yeah I see, I mean the L05 is not a slouch by any means, and a 16.9 second 1/4 mile is quite good considering the size and what came before it, but when the LT1 came around, it made these things into probably the quickest Fleetwoods of all time. The only thing that would come close is the 68-70 models with the high compression 472.