: The New STS, and the new 300C?

Playdrv4me
01-04-04, 02:51 AM
How do you guys think the new STS will compare to Chryslers upcoming 300C and Dodge Magnum? At first I was impressed with the 300Cs exterior design but seeing this lengthwise picture below im not so sure. My opinion? It looks like its probably more of a Deville fighter,but its pretty much all ChryCos got right now. I think alot of the interior appointments will be similar but im curious to gauge your opinions since they are both coming soon...
http://www.autoweek.com/images_content/2003_10/1103-n-chrysler300C.jpg

Sandy
01-04-04, 08:33 AM
The Dodge Magnum's a station wagon, so I doubt that there will be much cross-shopping between the STS & it.
The Chrysler 300C is a formatible car, and there will be some cross shopping there. I think that naming it the 300"C" was a poor choice. They allready have the 300M, and now they are going backward to the 300C. They used to go forward: i.e. 300B C D E F G H J K L. The 300M & 300C names are jsut too confusing for the average shopper. They woulda done better to name it the IMPERIAL. How many "300s" do they need? :cookoo:

bballer113
01-04-04, 05:17 PM
If anything I think the 300C goes up against the Pontiac Bonneville GXP or even the Grand Prix GXP when it comes out. Both will offer a V-8 engine.

Playdrv4me
01-04-04, 06:19 PM
If anything I think the 300C goes up against the Pontiac Bonneville GXP or even the Grand Prix GXP when it comes out. Both will offer a V-8 engine.

I think thats a Possibility, but Chrysler probably intends for it to go up against the more luxurious brands, ive never really liked the Bonneville or the Grand Prix and think that luxury-wise they are kind of lacking and too plasticky in typical pontiac tradition. With that said, Chrysler has announced that its completely halting its move UPSCALE so the 300C might not offer much more than the Bonnie. Its anyones guess at this point.

nashvillecat
01-04-04, 10:24 PM
Hmmmm....what do you think?

Playdrv4me
01-04-04, 11:00 PM
Where did those photochops come from? They look pretty good.

nashvillecat
01-04-04, 11:24 PM
they are not photochops. Insidenews refused to show em because GM asked they be removed.They are the real deal

DaveSmed
01-05-04, 12:58 AM
My first reaction was "They should give that poor Volkswagen owner his headlights back." Not entirely fond of the front, but the rest of the car looks nice.

Ralph
01-05-04, 01:38 AM
A couple of years ago I thought that cars were getting "boxy" again, I guess this confirms it. I think the look of the 300 takes a little getting used to, and with Chrysler it seems to be all about performance offering Hemis in more and more vehicles. I would not mind any car with a Hemi in it, but it looks about as aerodynamic as a brick wall. Still, I like it!

kobiashi
01-05-04, 02:36 PM
... it looks about as aerodynamic as a brick wall.

Speaking of something as aerodynamic as a brick wall.....

http://www.evolvingtype.com/teddy/archives/images/L_2004_Scion_xb.jpg

Ralph
01-05-04, 06:36 PM
LOL!! That's funny, what is that? Is it the new Dodge Sprinter?

Brett
01-05-04, 06:49 PM
Thats the Scion B i believe Ralph.

As far as the 300C, it looks like something I want to like, try to like, but i just dont like it. The execution of the style is not good imo

davesdeville
01-05-04, 11:05 PM
The 300c looks like a knock-off Bentley. Meh it looks ok I guess.. better than the 300m.

Ralph
01-05-04, 11:10 PM
Thats the Scion B i believe Ralph.

As far as the 300C, it looks like something I want to like, try to like, but i just dont like it. The execution of the style is not good imo

I'm sorry, I don't know what a Scion B is, who makes it.

Brett
01-05-04, 11:13 PM
ummm, Scion is the hip new brand for all those Gen-y'ers out there longing to drive a toaster oven. Brought to you by Toyota. I guess Canada isnt cool enough for Scion yet...........:)

Ralph
01-05-04, 11:21 PM
ummm, Scion is the hip new brand for all those Gen-y'ers out there longing to drive a toaster oven. Brought to you by Toyota. I guess Canada isnt cool enough for Scion yet...........:)

Well, Canada is "cool" enough to be -25 F today!! Too cool for me baby! We aren't that cool when our junior hockey team lost to the undefeated U.S. team today!! That poor junior Canadian team worked their way up by painstakingly defeating all other countries to face the U.S. and you yank their chain so fast they went down the drain double time!! :( 3 to 2 is pretty close though

LOL! Anyway, I haven't seen anything that ugly by Toyota yet, or the Dodge Sprinter. They both kinda look like the VW Eurovan. ps, does theU.S. get a model for Acura called the TSX? It looks just like the TL, but with a 200 hp 4 banger? Just curious because it seems we don't get all the same vehicles you guys do.

Brett
01-05-04, 11:29 PM
We have a TSX but I thought it had a v6

Ralph
01-05-04, 11:35 PM

Nope, the TL picks up where the TSX leaves off. We have a Civic based Acura called the 1.7 EL. It is a loaded Civic, and I think it is a Canada exclusive. I like the new TL's.

Brett
01-06-04, 12:18 AM
Yeah i was probably thinking TL

Devil_concours
01-06-04, 12:34 AM
tsx = 4cyl rebadged accord euro-r

Playdrv4me
01-08-04, 02:08 AM
Here is a better picture of the 300C from Car and Driver:
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/image/l_172004175454.jpg

Heres a shocker. Id say Chrysler's at least doing pretty well in overall style to even get me thinking this car could compete in the same foray as the ultra luxury STS. Why? Because the 300C (the hemi model) will be WELL equipped, at (wait for it)... $32,995. Depending on pricing for the STS, the 300C may not be nearly as cool, but it could undercut the STS by 20-30k, and its based on the previous E-Class underpinnings!

Im already imagining even the customary "monotone" performance version that you just KNOW will show up somewhere down the line.

Brett
01-08-04, 05:54 PM
The price is great, i just cant get used to that styling. sometimes pictures dont do cars justice, so ill wait to see in person. I believe there is a lot of pent up demand for a decent american sedan. by that i mean V8, RWD, 30-35k. Now sales of the Maurauder would prove me wrong, but i still think there is alot of potential consumers for this car and others like it

Playdrv4me
01-08-04, 11:55 PM
The price is great, i just cant get used to that styling. sometimes pictures dont do cars justice, so ill wait to see in person. I believe there is a lot of pent up demand for a decent american sedan. by that i mean V8, RWD, 30-35k. Now sales of the Maurauder would prove me wrong, but i still think there is alot of potential consumers for this car and others like it

I dont think youre wrong Brett. The Marauder would be a poor thermometer of the public's desire because if you think about it, it was only a decent concept with a somewhat poor execution. Nothing was really new or special about it other than some more power and driveline tweaks (and in one of the car mags own words, not even enough to really chrip tires or anything like that), a monochrome styling treatment, and a couple of neat gauges inside. Outside however, its a gussied up Marq, and the public isnt stupid, they see through those marketing ploys like a knife through butter. The Impala SS was essentially the same you say... Yes but the impala SS really wholloped the competition with that Corvette based V8 under the hood, and gobs of power that made up for the fact that it was ALSO the same sheetmetal as its comfy cruiser counterpart. ...No, THESE up and comers are all totally new from the ground up and have alot to offer, and alot to live up to, I say you are not wrong at all.