: Vette eats it on a winding road. DAMN!

CVP33
02-20-06, 09:21 PM
http://www.compfused.com/directlink/1230/

crowan
02-20-06, 09:29 PM
Yikes! Sucks to be him. :alchi:

rand49er
02-20-06, 09:38 PM
Oh, man, I'd be sick. :eek:

Staxxin
02-20-06, 10:06 PM
Damn, that sucks!!!

CIWS
02-20-06, 10:08 PM
Maybe a squirrel ran out in front of him and he swirved to miss it ...

:lies:

kjr39
02-20-06, 10:13 PM
Ouch.

Very ouch.

Too much torque, not enough driver.

ahahnu
02-20-06, 11:43 PM
Those girls all reside within 20 mins of where I live. Thanks, I have a date friday!

wildwhl
02-20-06, 11:50 PM
:nono:

Dreamin
02-20-06, 11:52 PM
Those girls all reside within 20 mins of where I live. Thanks, I have a date friday!

...they all reside within 20 mins of there *I* live too...

VELOSE
02-20-06, 11:54 PM
Do any of you know what car that was following the Vette?

I was amazed at how quickly that car went to the tree.

ctsvett
02-20-06, 11:55 PM
Thats about how fast your day can go from being fun and great to really crappy...

OUCH. Could have been worse though. The car was still on 4 wheels.

Reed

Rickerbucks
02-21-06, 12:07 AM
Here is a picture of the new all wheel steering Viper

V-SATX
02-21-06, 12:24 AM
86K what a bargain:tisk:

hornyjuan
02-21-06, 12:26 AM
What an idiot.

Dreamin
02-21-06, 01:35 AM
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/woeii//ShareForumUse/agoodles.gif

wooderson
02-21-06, 08:48 PM
Man...that tree just jumped out onto the roadway....tough break

LV_V
02-21-06, 08:51 PM
Haha

daytripper
02-22-06, 11:27 AM
Anyone care to speculate what happened to cause this guy to lose it? It looks like he lost it on a pretty minor turn at not too high a speed. Think he let off the throttle too quick in a low gear (snap oversteer) and the rear jumped out, and then he overcorrected and lost it into the tree.

If this is a case of just the rear end kicking out from too much throttle application and then he overcorrected on the other way , he must really be an idiot.

Just wondered what you guys think happened, if one can tell from the tiny, chase car video. Perhaps there's some lesson here for aggressive street driving...

Brian R.

50 4Ever
02-22-06, 12:48 PM
Anyone care to speculate what happened to cause this guy to lose it? It looks like he lost it on a pretty minor turn at not too high a speed. Think he let off the throttle too quick in a low gear (snap oversteer) and the rear jumped out, and then he overcorrected and lost it into the tree.

If this is a case of just the rear end kicking out from too much throttle application and then he overcorrected on the other way , he must really be an idiot.

Just wondered what you guys think happened, if one can tell from the tiny, chase car video. Perhaps there's some lesson here for aggressive street driving...

Brian R.

I'll tell you exactly what happened, too much car too little driver & no respect for the car.

He was trying to kick out the rear, if you look at the video again in the previous turns he goes around the turn and gives it gas to break the rearend loose and counter steers and off to the next turn. The last turn the Vette was very unbalanced with excessing steering input. The rear went to the right and he counter-steered then his lack of knowledge came into play. Instead of giving it more gas to transfer weight to the rear so the tires would grip more he jammed on the brakes, which transferred weight to the front which gave the tires more traction and the rear got very lite, but he had too much steering input so when the front grabbed the rear violently swung to the left. If the tree wasn't there he would have gone off the road backwards.

Maybe there was something on the surface of the road which caused the loss of traction, but in my opinion if he would have squeezed the gas instead of jamming the brake on he could have saved it.

Driving a Vette on a road like that is a balancing act, you unbalance the car and bad things will happen.

:thepan:

CTSV05
02-22-06, 02:26 PM
I just say....Dumbass.....

daytripper
02-22-06, 02:37 PM
I just say....Dumbass.....

I don't disagree. Narrow road, with numerous blind curves. Oncoming traffic. Unknown road surface conditions. No runoff whatsoever.

All in all, the perfect setting to push your car (I mean driver) to its limits. He's lucky he didn't head on someone, or get nailed from oncoming traffic after blocking both lanes.

Brian R.

Carnalsupply
02-22-06, 03:04 PM
I was on a cruise with a Vette group last weekend and a guy with a Specter Werkes wide body Vette ran his C5 beauty UNDER a guardrail on the third turn into the ride! The guy in this video got off WAY lucky compared to the guy I was following.
1) Thank god for airbags!
2) Glad there was nobody in the passenger seat, because the guardrail ended up at the trailing edge of the passenger door. The car struck at an angle so the driver side didn't imbed quite as far.
3) The damage was WAY severe going in, but when they pulled the car out from beneath the rail it opened the car up like was tissue paper.

Here's the link to illustrate the damage. If you look in the background of the opening pages main pic you'll see my black V in amongst all the Vettes.
http://flickr.com/photos/pwosel/sets/72057594062797676/

cguthrie
02-22-06, 03:06 PM
Not bright driving like that on a public road lined by trees, but the number one lesson from riding race bikes would have helped him.

1. When in doubt, accelerate!

If he had stayed on the gas or hit it a bit, steered & kept his eyes down the road he probably would not had an issue.

I take it much easier on roads like that since I have not hit a deer yet, but I've barely missed more than I can count, and an extra 30-40mph won't help my odds.

CG