: WildWhl Mod before and after...

VELOSE
02-20-06, 08:31 PM
The car sat at 28 1/8" high from the ground to the center of the rear fender well stock. With the WildWhl mod and without cutting the springs, the car now sits at 27 5/8". That's a drop of 1/2". Here are the results.

Before.....
http://images14.fotki.com/v247/photos/1/197993/2782123/IMG_2153-vi.jpg

After....
http://images14.fotki.com/v221/photos/1/197993/2782123/IMG_2190-vi.jpg

Another after...
http://images16.fotki.com/v280/photos/1/197993/2782123/IMG_2196-vi.jpg

Kidhummer
02-20-06, 08:55 PM
looks a lot better and great choice of wheels....

CVP33
02-20-06, 08:55 PM
Great stance. Pure freakin' evil. :thumbsup:

rand49er
02-20-06, 09:02 PM
Holy cow, that looks nice!!!:bouncy:

BeagleBrains
02-20-06, 09:47 PM
Hook me up! As pictured, what tire mounted? Model number, size choices, source?
Please. :worship:

Chef
02-20-06, 11:04 PM
:thumbsup: Sweet!

Hook me up too!:eek:

$, specs, sizes available!

Thanks!
Chef

wildwhl
02-20-06, 11:24 PM
Velose -

Any negative affect on handling? I never considered simply placing the spacers in without cutting the springs. My understanding is they need to work together - but hey - if it works :thumbsup:

WW

Dreamin
02-20-06, 11:25 PM
He has a lot of junk in his trunk... that's why it lower 1/2"... mine lowered almost that much w/o touching the springs.

VELOSE
02-20-06, 11:26 PM
I thought I would share because most do the mod and get aftermarket springs. I've never seen pics of the mod done on stock springs that weren't cut. Now this gives you guys an idea.

As for the wheels, they are http://www.asantiwheels.com (["Asanti Wheels"), forged series, model AF 116. The sizes are 20x8.5 front and 20x9.5 rear. The tires that I had to go with because Asanti runs aggressive offsets(that I don't know because they won't share that with me) are 235/35/20 in front and 275/30/20 in rear.

VELOSE
02-20-06, 11:30 PM
No negative effects either. I drove the car to San Diego loaded. I had a full stock spare, aluminum craftsman jack, 70lbs worth of luggage, and a total of 3 bodies in the car. The car actually looked lower at times in back but then even sometimes. Anyhow, there were no noises coming from back there.

The pics I've provided are with nothing in the trunk. I unloaded the car took it for a spin, washed it, and took the pics. Again, no negative effects.

Life is Bliss these days with the V.:D

alcast082
02-20-06, 11:32 PM
Do you feel any change in the way the car drives, (softer suspension, stiffer ????) was there any impact at all??

VELOSE
02-20-06, 11:41 PM
Here are a few more pics from different angles, and possibly a better view than the others posted. I really need to learn how to use my camera. It's a 8 megapixel Canon Powershot Pro1 with 3 million buttons and functions. It's taken me many attempts to get to this crappy quality pics I'm providing. Some day I'll get it right. :D

http://images16.fotki.com/v273/photos/1/197993/2782123/IMG_2195-vi.jpg

http://images16.fotki.com/v285/photos/1/197993/2782123/IMG_2192-vi.jpg

http://images16.fotki.com/v270/photos/1/197993/2782123/IMG_2198-vi.jpg

VELOSE
02-20-06, 11:46 PM
Do you feel any change in the way the car drives, (softer suspension, stiffer ????) was there any impact at all??

The cars feels and drives like it's stock. There might be a change in handling but it's nothing I can feel right now. I haven't had the chance to drive it hard on turns. When I get a chance to take it on a few turns now that it's unloaded, I'll be more comfortable giving you an answer on the performance side of this mod. There was no impact at all. When I had the car loaded with luggage, spare, and jack, it never bottomed out either.

Seattle CTS-V
02-20-06, 11:49 PM
That looks amazing. Wheels, ride height, tint, raven, no front plate...awesome!

ctsvett
02-21-06, 12:01 AM
Yeah... Please dont drive it hard out of the turns with the pregnant wife and child in the car...

HEE HEE..

Reed

wildwhl
02-21-06, 01:02 AM
She looks very, very clean. I like her.

Just because I like the staggered thing (though it may not work on the V like it does the Vette appearance wise) I wonder what 19" front and 20" rear, or better yet 18" front 19" rear with those wheels would look like?

I do like that black with polished lip look...yummy.

WW

VELOSE
02-21-06, 02:26 AM
I wonder what that would look like too, 19's in front with 20's in rear. The good thing about these Asanti's is, the lips won't fade or need polishing like most wheels because they are chrome. ;)

Geno
02-21-06, 01:35 PM
Velose -

Any negative affect on handling? I never considered simply placing the spacers in without cutting the springs. My understanding is they need to work together - but hey - if it works :thumbsup:

WW

Looks awsome, but I think Wildwhl is right. The rear springs are not accepting all the load. There's a lot of pressure sitting on the top shock mount, that would normally be handled by the springs. It's one thing driving down the road and having everything feel alright. It's something else in a quick reaction scenario, when the car goes through a series of quick oscillations, as when losing control. We've all seen pictures where a bike or car starts to sway left to right and back, then snaps like a slingshot. Be wary, it's easy to lower a car, it's something else ensuring that you don't lose stability in a quick transition. JMLO

VELOSE
02-21-06, 01:46 PM
Well, lets talk about what's happened now. The spring is obviously compressed 1/2". The shock is in the same location. The spacers that were below the top shock mount are now on top of the top shock mount. There is no change in travel for the shock. The spring is basically under more load because it's compressed 1/2". I don't know if our springs are linear or progressive. If they are progressive then, I did add more load on the spring. If the spring is linear then, additional pressure has not been added. Better yet, I haven't made my suspension in back a harder ride. At the end, if I'm correct, I should have improved handling due to lower center of gravity, correct?

alcast082
02-21-06, 02:05 PM
yes sir,
I don't see why there would be more force applied on the shock,ng the mod simply gets rid of the self leveling right????
anyhow, I love the setup I think i am going to try it on my car if Ground control doesn't hurry up, I want 3/4 to an inch on the front and an inch in the rear. That would def look mean.
:)

wildwhl
02-21-06, 02:29 PM
The shock/shock mount are seeing less load in this scenario, if anything.

I wouldn't worry about it. The stock spring has compressed. Only scenario that could be an issue is with a lot of weight in the trunk or extra passengers where the car would have self-levelled before, it will now be low in the back, even though the shocks are doing their job.

Guess you better lower the front 1/2" to make it all better ;)

lasstss
02-21-06, 02:32 PM
Well, lets talk about what's happened now. The spring is obviously compressed 1/2". The shock is in the same location. The spacers that were below the top shock mount are now on top of the top shock mount. There is no change in travel for the shock. The spring is basically under more load because it's compressed 1/2". I don't know if our springs are linear or progressive. If they are progressive then, I did add more load on the spring. If the spring is linear then, additional pressure has not been added. Better yet, I haven't made my suspension in back a harder ride. At the end, if I'm correct, I should have improved handling due to lower center of gravity, correct?

Exactly!:thumbsup:

VELOSE
02-21-06, 03:26 PM
The shock/shock mount are seeing less load in this scenario, if anything.

I wouldn't worry about it. The stock spring has compressed. Only scenario that could be an issue is with a lot of weight in the trunk or extra passengers where the car would have self-levelled before, it will now be low in the back, even though the shocks are doing their job.

Guess you better lower the front 1/2" to make it all better ;)

This would mean upgrading to FG2's and having you modify them for me. :hmm: :D

Geno
02-21-06, 08:19 PM

Sorry...I was using reverse polish notation.:alchi:
...and never work a long back shift and try to think, when it's time to go to bed.

wildwhl
02-21-06, 09:50 PM
This would mean upgrading to FG2's and having you modify them for me. :hmm: :D

Tracy isn't that far away...know where a machine shop and 12 pack of beer are :alchi:

I *might* be pulling my modded FG2's here in the near future...they *might* be available, unless CVP straightens back up ( :histeric: I said STRAIGHT with CVP) and trades that SRTGa8 in on an '06 and wants them... :kick:

(Also - I have 30 kits cut and packed, and after that, I'm done)

WW

chiro444
02-22-06, 10:40 AM
You mean the spacer kits? I'll take one set! How much are they?

wildwhl
02-23-06, 09:21 AM
Yep, spacer kits Chiro444

email me.

atdeneve
02-23-06, 10:55 AM
Wildwhl, I sent you an email regarding those Nivomat spacers. I think it was about a week ago. Wondering if you got it?

evil 8
02-23-06, 04:09 PM
who's gonna get the jizz off of my monitor?
thanks alot velose!

VELOSE
02-23-06, 06:11 PM
I'm still working on the Jizz I left on the V the day of the pics. I hope it doesn't strip the paint. :D

chiro444
02-23-06, 09:25 PM
What's your email address WildWhl?

wildwhl
02-24-06, 12:37 AM
wildwhl@registeredink.com

atdeneve -

I think so. I've sent several kits in the last few days. Matching screen names to real names is tough.

Mine is A$shole in case CVP is wondering :D