: 1995 Jag XJS

Elvis
01-03-04, 10:44 PM
My father-in-law has decided to unload his "baby," a gold '95 XJS convertible with only 39,000 miles. He's been told he can only get between $11,000 and $14,000 for it. I've been given an early opportunity to sieze it.

Strike One: It's a Jag, and not a good year, either.

Strike Two: We're not exactly on good terms right now.

Strike Three: I'd still rather have a Caddy

PROS:

1) It's in my price range. (below it, actually)
2) I KNOW it's been well maintained mechanically, and it's squeaky clean.
3) It's a damn fine looking car.

What do you guys think?

elwesso
01-03-04, 11:06 PM
Whats wrong with that year....? The new body and engine came in 93 (I think) and the difference is night and day..
'
Take a look at this: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview.aspx?modelid=1490&src=vip ALso go to www.edmunds.com and read the user reviews..... You have to average them out, as most of them are either really good or really bad..

Also, is it the V12 or I6 version... If its the V12, id consider..... I6 I wouldnt waste my time.....

All in all, if you dont think youd like it and youd rather have a caddy, I wouldnt get it... You dont wanna drop 12gs into something that you dont like.

However, youd have the appreciation of driving a jaguar..... Plus, if you got a caddy then you wouldnt be in the "non caddy" membership posse with me!! :D

Stoneage_Caddy
01-03-04, 11:07 PM
i used to be a apprinatce at a brittish car shop , these things were usualy a money pit ,cadillac would be cheaper in the long run , but for sure footed handleing at triple digit speed you cant beat a jag

Ralph
01-03-04, 11:26 PM
Anything after Ford got involved with them were all "good" years. My parent's neighbour is a doctor and in the mid 1990's had a 1989 Jag, the full size. Wasn't it about 1991 that Ford interviened and got the quality up to snuff? Anyway, they were secretly trying to sell it because it was always breaking down. I like the styling of them and would not hesitate to buy it unless parts availability might be a problem. There is something very distinctive about them, as they almost look as good as my Fleet. :D What is the repair history on it, did it break down often?

Whatever you do don't buy a newer S-type, that thing has a toilet bowl on the grille!! :cookoo:

Elvis
01-03-04, 11:50 PM
I've been researching, and I was apparently mistaken about '95 being a "bad" year.

Turns out my father-in-law had been through the ringer with a mid-80's Jag. He wouldn't have gone back unless he was confident that the problems had been fixed. My mother-in-law is driving a '99 XJ-12 Vanden Plas. They're very high on Jaguar.

He never drives the XJS, instead spending most of his time in a Chevy Lumina. He's apparently going to dump both and get an SUV of some sort. He doesn't really seem to care what he gets for the XJS, either. That's the real reason why I'm considering it--It's a BARGAIN and it's hard for me to ignore anything like that.

I just never thought that a Jag like this was attainable. They always seemed too damn pricey and I'm too practical to be able to justify spending $60,000 on a car like this. Even though this one is 9 years old, I've seen it up close and I know it's in mint condition. It's one of the best-looking cars I've ever seen, IMO.

I'm going to do a little more research tonight and sleep on it. If I'm still interested at noon tomorrow, I'll give him a call.

Ralph
01-04-04, 12:01 AM
GET IT!!! You can always sell it if you don't like it, but I'm sure you will. What color, and what engine?

Elvis
01-04-04, 12:46 AM
It's gold, and my wife says it has the I6. I thought I remembered seeing that it was a v-12, though. That part really doesn't matter to me. The 4.0 I6 is supposedly more reliable and lower cost to maintain, 237 hp. The top is a dark brown. Interior is tan leather. Always garaged, and the only time I can think of that he left it out was a couple years ago when they drove it here to visit for one night.

For functional comparison purposes, it's virtually a two-seater just like my Prelude. But, it's a lot more comfortable, it has more power, and a bigger trunk. This is a car I could take on a trip without getting beaten up by the road. The sticker on this car was probably over $50,000 in 1995, which would be the equivalent of over $60,000 today.

What I've read tonight is that it's pretty solid until it hits about 80,000 miles. It would probably take me 42-48 months to get there.

Ralph
01-04-04, 02:18 AM
It's gold, and my wife says it has the I6. I thought I remembered seeing that it was a v-12, though. That part really doesn't matter to me. The 4.0 I6 is supposedly more reliable and lower cost to maintain, 237 hp. The top is a dark brown. Interior is tan leather. Always garaged, and the only time I can think of that he left it out was a couple years ago when they drove it here to visit for one night.

For functional comparison purposes, it's virtually a two-seater just like my Prelude. But, it's a lot more comfortable, it has more power, and a bigger trunk. This is a car I could take on a trip without getting beaten up by the road. The sticker on this car was probably over $50,000 in 1995, which would be the equivalent of over $60,000 today.

What I've read tonight is that it's pretty solid until it hits about 80,000 miles. It would probably take me 42-48 months to get there.

Even the color is right. ;) Sounds like a beauty, let me know what you do tomorrow. I keep thinking XJ8? the full size, but maybe I am confused with another model, anyway I'll look it up on the net later tonite. I would love to see pics of this one!

Ralph
01-04-04, 02:41 AM
OK, just checked it out, didn't know it was a convertible. Sounds like a mover with 282 ft. lbs of torque. I remember these cars from the pics I just saw, and you can get a trouble plagued 1990 for pretty cheap, but who would want one of the earlier ones. I still see a few around.

MPG is 17/24, not bad, but it prob isn't much bigger than your Prelude. You could always get the V12 decklid decals for it. ;)

elwesso
01-04-04, 01:07 PM
HAHA.... What would a ricer english car be.. A crumpet??? :D

All in all , I dont think youd like the jag as much as a caddy.... It'll be cool for like the first month or so, and then get old..... Just my opinion.....

MMNineInchNails
01-04-04, 02:49 PM
HAHA.... What would a ricer english car be.. A crumpet??? :D

All in all , I dont think youd like the jag as much as a caddy.... It'll be cool for like the first month or so, and then get old..... Just my opinion.....

I'm going with wes. Jags aren't too reliable. You see more of them on the side of the road and on tow trucks than you do driving. But it's your decision. I'd think the caddy would be cheaper to maintain and more comfortable.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-04-04, 03:07 PM
well elivs hasnt truely lived untill hes swapped out the evaporator core in one

to be honest i never worked on a 95 so i suppose they made changes after the ford buyout , i know the i6 became a very good motor after 90 but ive seen some examples that still have the typical bearing thump at idle

the newest ones i delt with were 89-91 boath xj6 vanen plas , newest xjs was a early 80s with the v12

your wallet would be happier with a caddy when it comes to replecment parts

Elvis
01-04-04, 10:55 PM
I ain't doing it! That's my final answer, Regis.

I slept on it. When I woke up this morning, I wasn't excited about it anymore.

I thought about it some more, tried to talk myself into it all morning. Just couldn't get there.

Part of my problem is a personal thing with my father-in-law. The guy's a jerk, and we had a minor altercation when they were here at Thanksgiving. He made a complete ass of himself again. It's almost like he's dangling this thing in front of me to try and make peace. I'm not that easy. I'd really just rather not deal with the guy again so soon.

But the main thing is that I decided on a Caddy over a year ago. I've diverted a couple of times, but always come back to Caddy. Nothing looks as good to me, nothing seems as comfortable, except maybe the new Mercedes S class.

I've had opportunities to get a previous generation S-class, a BMW 5-series, and now a Jag. I always compare them to the Caddy, and can't justify the extra expense and risk. The only car I would consider right now is the new Acura TL, and I'm a little apprehensive about that because it's a new model year.

After the shock of a new furnace, two sets of tires, three oriental rugs, two expensive chairs, four vet bills, and the REST of Christmas 2003 wear off I HOPE I'll be able to go look at Cadillacs again. :(

PS--But a RED one with a white vinyl top is OUT. I just saw the Snoop DeVille in the Nokia commercial...

davesdeville
01-05-04, 12:21 AM
Heh.. http://snoopdogg.com/bossplaya.php

The Snoop DeVille is tha shiznit.

MMNineInchNails
01-05-04, 01:58 AM
Heh.. http://snoopdogg.com/bossplaya.php

The Snoop DeVille is tha shiznit.

WOW.

Ralph
01-05-04, 02:55 AM
I still think Jags are one of the ultimate status symbols. Don't worry about it Elvis, you gotta do what's right for you and there are plenty of other cars out there, keep looking Bud! :crying:

Jesda
01-06-04, 11:08 AM
GET THE JAG! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

So what if maintenance is expensive? This is your chance to own a cheap exotic! Are you a car enthusiast or a commuter?

Elvis
01-06-04, 12:26 PM
Are you a car enthusiast or a commuter?

OUCH! :annoyed:

:elvis2:

Allante North *
01-06-04, 03:25 PM
Hey E,

If it is such a good deal, go ahead and buy the car and then flip it for an nice profit and really piss off your pap in law. Use the profit to help fund what you really want.

Cadillac

Elvis
01-06-04, 07:06 PM
As far as I know, the car is still available if I want it.

And I made the mistake of mentioning it to a couple of people, and I'm getting the same kind of heat from them that I got from Jesda! :histeric:

What the hell, I don't have any kids, I'm already driving a two-door car, it's not all that expensive, etc.

I'm just too damn conservative, I guess. For me, Jag ownership is on an ELITE list of things I NEVER expect to do or own in my life:

1) Vacation on French Riviera
2) Cindy Crawford :lildevil: (need I say more?)
3) Yacht
4) Jag convertible
5) Thoroughbred/Arabian horses

(But I'm warming up to the idea, the more people try to convince me... :devillaug )

Elvis
01-09-04, 02:33 PM
Final update:

Tuesday night, about an hour after I posted that message I called to check on the Jag, maybe get some info from the farter-in-law. The SOB had already traded it first thing Monday morning.

I guess on Saturday when it was first mentioned, he was already at the going, going, GONE stage. Would you believe that he traded both the XJS AND a 2002 Chevy Venture on a new Chrysler Pacifica?

My wife says not to worry, because in a couple of years he'll probably buy a new Corvette, then dump it, too.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-04, 02:39 PM
yes i would trade a jag in on a overpriced short squatted down chrysler minivan , and i sure as hell wouldnt hold onto the jag and chevy to wait for a magnum hemi wagon

the guy surely must be smoking something ........

Elvis
01-09-04, 04:31 PM
He doesn't smoke. I'll give you two more guesses. :histeric:

Stoneage_Caddy
01-10-04, 12:24 PM
he is the village drunk ?

or perhaps he struck his head many times on something inside the jag (they werent known for headroom with the top up )

Elvis
01-10-04, 02:56 PM
I don't know if he's good enough at it to earn a "title," but he has his moments.

Jesda
01-11-04, 02:15 AM
That breaks my heart.

Elvis
01-11-04, 11:53 AM
That breaks my heart.

It just wasn't meant to be. I only got a few hours warning when I thought I had a few days to mull it over. By the time I had made up my mind to just make a "serious inquiry" it was already gone.

It's in Arkansas somewhere, so if you see a gold '95 XJS on the web with 39,000 miles, I'd say jump on it. I'm sure it was well-maintained.