: DIY Replace Coolant for 94 STS

alch
02-20-06, 09:22 PM
I got "Check Coolant Level" message in a cold morning so I bought some $8 coolant from WM and tried to replace it by myself. The first problem is I can not find the coolant cap coz there is no "Coolant" text on any cap, so I checked user manual and found it is supposed to be the silver cap with "15lb closed system" on it - correct me if I am getting the wrong cap.

Now if I am right, my problem is - I can not open it by my hand, it is so tight that I doubt I have to use some tools to open it, anyone can confirm this? Or it is only my problem? Is coolant check included in regular Jeff Lube oil change?

Thanks!
jr

Ranger
02-20-06, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I think you have the right cap. Place the heel of your hand on it and press down while rotating it. After you fill it (1 1/2" - 2" from the top) replace the cap the same way. There are two stops on the cap so make sure you lock it into the second one or you'll overheat.

Yes, I would think jiffy Lube should at least check the coolant level.

Zorb750
02-21-06, 03:26 AM
A strap wrench makes it easier. That way one hand pushes down and one rotates the wrench.

And I would hope Jiffy Lube would not check the coolant level. It takes 20 minutes at least to cool down to the point you can open it. They would have to be beyond stupid to do that. Besides, when hot the level will be higher. Much higher.

I would NEVER take a car to Jiffy Lube. Them with their impact gun to put on the oil plug. :tisk: :rant2:

Ranger
02-21-06, 11:44 AM
A strap wrench makes it easier. That way one hand pushes down and one rotates the wrench.

And I would hope Jiffy Lube would not check the coolant level. It takes 20 minutes at least to cool down to the point you can open it. They would have to be beyond stupid to do that. Besides, when hot the level will be higher. Much higher.

I would NEVER take a car to Jiffy Lube. Them with their impact gun to put on the oil plug. :tisk: :rant2:
Good point, but most cars have a translucent tank, so it is easy to check without opening the system.

STS 310
02-21-06, 08:23 PM
Boy does Jiffy get a bad rap...

SOME of those guys know whats up, and remember that I emphasized "some".