: Is the Whine really the differential?

ctsvett
02-20-06, 08:14 PM
Ok, So i have had my diff replaced for whining before and now I am begining to wonder.

I have 6th gear whine now. Whenever I am in 6th gear between 55-65 I get a whine. This is a known issue at GM and there is a TSB on it (thanks for that Barak). I am going to see what they say about this next week.

Bottom line: I am wondering if people are going in with actual transmission issues and telling the dealer that the rear is whining. This could be due to everyone here drawing attention to the diff when it may actually be the tranny...

This is an obvious exception to those of us who had Diff whine and have cracked the differential housing.

It seems that more of us are having severe transmission shifting issues than differential issues (wait for the survey results I am posting tonight).

Could the tranny be the bigger issue here?

Anyone care to comment?

Reed

Joey'sVee
02-20-06, 08:45 PM
Well that's a great question but in my case everytime I have the diff replaced the whine goes away...for a little while at least.

ace996
02-20-06, 10:24 PM
Reed,
I have brought this exact issue to my dealer's attention and they are stumped. 6th gear, about 2500-3000rpm when on the gas....hoot,whine....then it spread to 5th gear and then 4th gear....took a few weeks for me to really nail down the exact stimuli...
Supposedly, it's an imbalanced driveshaft(if sound is heard in multiple gears) or a defective tranny (only in 6thgear, which calls for a new tranny). My dealership didn't do anything to fix this....and I've gone through two tailshaft seals in the past month....still they do nothing...just shrug their shoulders and say they'll call TAC and make a report.
And some wonder why I've had it...
Good luck to you, Reed, I hope your service techs can help you.
-ace

ahahnu
02-20-06, 11:25 PM
I don't know if I'm paranoid... I drive with the radio low and listen. Third gear is almost as loud as forth was when I had the diff replaced. No other gear. Humph.

Seattle CTS-V
02-20-06, 11:53 PM
I have an appointment this Friday for a hoot, whine problem. Does it nearly all of the time - even while sitting at a stoplight. I assume it's the TSB for the water pump but the car never made that sound until 2 weeks ago when I had the Diff, the clutch, and a Maggie installed. Maybe they broke the new diff while test driving the car for the Maggie install?? Wouldn't that just be great!

wildwhl
02-21-06, 01:06 AM
Seattle -

I have a hoot/whine problem when the engine is running/idling/car moving or not since I reinstalled the maggie. I can't figure it out. I suspect there is air in a line or something. I really can't figure it out...sorry to threadjack Reed.

I agree the tranny can/will whine too, but in my case, it was certainly the diff each time (including now, she's getting louder).

Keep us posted.

WW

TXSilverV
02-21-06, 09:28 AM
Took mine in on Monday and told them the rear is leaking and whines, the drive shaft feels like a ruber band about to break, Shifter make noise, tired of the clunk, radio button flaking, seat showing wear, front driving light has water in it, tire sensors not working, onstar light on, does not want to go into reverse, and a couple of more things. I told them it has been in the shop every month (12) since I have owned the car. we had a long talk at why GM is losing money and that they are about to lose more money on my car if everything and I mean everything is not fixed. I aslo have a friend (news reporter) from Chanel 5 here in Dallas that wants to do a story on car dealerships bad service. I explained this to the guy and also told him this is the last chance next we go to BB and chanel 5. It's funny at how nice everyone was to me. They even took me in to see the new V's. They told me they are going to replace everything(rear, clutch, and transmission) Here is the big but though! They have to call the local GM rep so I know I will get screwed.

ace996
02-21-06, 11:13 PM
Took mine in on Monday and told them the rear is leaking and whines, the drive shaft feels like a ruber band about to break, Shifter make noise, tired of the clunk, radio button flaking, seat showing wear, front driving light has water in it, tire sensors not working, onstar light on, does not want to go into reverse, and a couple of more things. I told them it has been in the shop every month (12) since I have owned the car. we had a long talk at why GM is losing money and that they are about to lose more money on my car if everything and I mean everything is not fixed. I aslo have a friend (news reporter) from Chanel 5 here in Dallas that wants to do a story on car dealerships bad service. I explained this to the guy and also told him this is the last chance next we go to BB and chanel 5. It's funny at how nice everyone was to me. They even took me in to see the new V's. They told me they are going to replace everything(rear, clutch, and transmission) Here is the big but though! They have to call the local GM rep so I know I will get screwed.

Local GM rep...the DSM....oh man, I'm sorry. Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...
-ace