: lookin for a car

Wibble
01-03-04, 08:57 PM
My parents want to get a new car and i'm lookin for something that woulc be good for somone to carry something in, nothing huge, not pull any trailers, but needs good millage, cadillacs may be a littl eouta price range, but i tought i'd ask you guys incase you had any ideas

beemer2k
01-03-04, 09:20 PM
My parents want to get a new car and i'm lookin for something that woulc be good for somone to carry something in, nothing huge, not pull any trailers, but needs good millage, cadillacs may be a littl eouta price range, but i tought i'd ask you guys incase you had any ideas
Is it a specific something they are carrying? Is it bigger than a breadbox? Do they want to "buy American" or doesn't it matter? What price ceiling? Would your dad like something reasonably sporty, or is mileage more important? Sedan, or coupe... or would a hatchback work? By "car" I'm assuming a minivan is out of the question... or is it? Do your parents like (or dislike) any of the major automakers? I want to help, but there are a number of ideas rolling around in my head, and I want to narrow the list.

gothicaleigh
01-03-04, 09:27 PM
I agree. Definately need more info. on this...

c5 rv
01-04-04, 11:18 AM
Traditional 4-dr sedan: The new Chevy Malibu is a very competent v6 sedan. The Malibu Maxx is more station wagon-like for carrying things (coming this spring).

Small sport wagon: The Subaru Forester has AWD and has continued to be improved.

If they are older, they may find it easier to get in and out of a somewhat taller vehicle like a minivan. My dad is 84 and loves his Olds minivan. The Pontiac Aztec and Buick Rendezvous are based on the same platform, but have regular (non-sliding) rear doors and are shorter in length. I know the Aztec is styling-challenged, but the folks I know that have one, love it.

brougham
01-04-04, 12:31 PM
One of the cars we have is a Focus wagon. It's handy for carrying things in, a small chest freezer even fits in it!! :eek:

gothicaleigh
01-04-04, 01:48 PM
The Focus is a surprisingly good car.

But if he's looking at Cadillacs, maybe he was thinking something a bit larger...

BUILDINGCTSAMG
01-04-04, 03:44 PM
Also another gm car that is incredible (i test drobe it recently) is the saab 9-3......every saab is turbo charged and this car is just amazing

Wibble
01-04-04, 04:47 PM
thanks for the ideas, she just wants somthing she can use to get around, we live in an area thats very snowy in the winter. she needs to carry like stuff equial to the size of a load of groceries, but she wants somthing thats pretty fuel efficient. i dbout the name of the car, or if its forgine of not matters, but cheeper is better :)

Sean McDonald
01-04-04, 05:03 PM
Sounds like a Subaru would be right up your alley!

brougham
01-04-04, 05:12 PM
It doesn't have to be a Subaru, anything will do from a Kia to a Cadillac. It all depends on how new or old it has to be and how much she wants to spend and what exactly she's looking for. Now you've got it down to it has to be bigger then a Metro and smaller then a minivan. Even a Taurus or an Intrepid fit what she's looking for!

The best thing for her to do is just to goto some dealers and find what she likes :2thumbs:

davesdeville
01-04-04, 05:21 PM
If not a Cadillac, look at the supercharged Buick Park Avenue (240hp, 3900#, 18 city mpg). One of my moms friends has one, it's pretty fun.

ShadowLvr400
01-04-04, 10:45 PM
Actually... I'll probably be shot for this, but the newer Toyota Prius has been revised, and is pretty damn nice. Car and Driver even listed it amongst 10 Best. It's pretty roomy, very fuel efficient of course, and not too shabby looking actually. Front wheel drive, so should be tolerable in the snow... The various Malibu's are excellent, Monte Carlo, etc. Sorry to say man, but you're in basically the largest market segment out. Midsized family car. Only thing close to that market share is the SUV... (Which oddly enough, there are a few light SUV's which would also work well. Honda Element, CRV, etc.
And before I catch it for the Element... I oddly respect the little thing. It's designed for a market. The young, active individual without a lot of money. Bikes load in easily, the interior is built to be resistant to just about anything, the overall design is simple and efficient, motors a solid little 4 banger, etc. (I've noticed a full sized dog crate would fit quite well in one. I think with the back seats laid down, 2 big crates would go in well.) Mind you, my dogs are about 31 inches at the shoulder, and in the 110-150 lb range. So, a few other options out for you...

MMNineInchNails
01-05-04, 01:01 AM
Sounds like she wants a fucas. Small car that carries grociers that is fuel effecient and damn cheap.

BUILDINGCTSAMG
01-05-04, 02:25 AM
i test drove the prius and forbade my gfriend from getting one

davesdeville
01-05-04, 10:55 PM
Actually... I'll probably be shot for this, but the newer Toyota Prius has been revised, and is pretty damn nice. Car and Driver even listed it amongst 10 Best. It's pretty roomy, very fuel efficient of course, and not too shabby looking actually. Front wheel drive, so should be tolerable in the snow... The various Malibu's are excellent, Monte Carlo, etc. Sorry to say man, but you're in basically the largest market segment out. Midsized family car. Only thing close to that market share is the SUV... (Which oddly enough, there are a few light SUV's which would also work well. Honda Element, CRV, etc.
And before I catch it for the Element... I oddly respect the little thing. It's designed for a market. The young, active individual without a lot of money. Bikes load in easily, the interior is built to be resistant to just about anything, the overall design is simple and efficient, motors a solid little 4 banger, etc. (I've noticed a full sized dog crate would fit quite well in one. I think with the back seats laid down, 2 big crates would go in well.) Mind you, my dogs are about 31 inches at the shoulder, and in the 110-150 lb range. So, a few other options out for you...

I dunno man, ... could you possibly find 2 uglier vehicles?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-06-04, 11:31 AM
"could you possibly find 2 uglier vehicles?"

isnt there two vehicles total in the scion lineup ?

gothicaleigh
01-06-04, 11:35 AM
Point.

Or: Pontiac Aztec / Vibe

Stoneage_Caddy
01-06-04, 11:49 AM
or you could go for the gusto and say "anything AMC ever made "