: '94 Eldorado Coolant change. Help!

eurumbaev
02-20-06, 04:08 PM
Could someone please provide me with a detailed desctiption of a coolant change in a '94 Eldorado. I've read many threads on this, but still not sure of the best way of doing it. Thanks.

Ranger
02-20-06, 06:08 PM
Drain the coolant by pulling the lower radiator hose. Pop in 3-6 sealant tabs (cooling system suppliment). Refill with a 50/50 mix of green coolant and distilled water. Button it up and check the coolant level after your first trip. You may need to top it off after any air is purged from the system. Simple as that.

eurumbaev
02-21-06, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the input. Are you sure it's the green stuff? I've read where the original coolant is Dexcool, the orange stuff, and that you're not supposed to mix two different coolants? Also, what are the sealant tabs called, and where can I get them? Do you put them in the lower hose or into the reservoir tank? Thanks.

Ranger
02-21-06, 10:52 AM
Dex-Cool came into service in '96. You have green.

The cooling sytem suppliment (sealant tabs) can be purchased at any GM dealer for a few dollars or at Wallmart or most parts stores. If you get it at other than the dealer look for Barsleaks produce code HDC (tabs) or G12BP (powdered). DO NOT put them in the surge tank as there is limited flow in there and you stand a chance of clogging it. Just pop the tabs in the radiator hose before you button it back up.

eurumbaev
02-21-06, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the help everyone!

wydopnthrtl
02-21-06, 04:20 PM
I just posted a step by step in the tips forum.

Rich