: "Black box" question

James Baldwin
02-20-06, 02:07 PM
I tried a search on this but did not know what to specifically look for, so I decided to post a new thread. Point me to the thread if this was already covered.

For you techs out there...

I hear there is some sort of box that can tell dealers/insurance companies how your car was driven during a particular period of time but is there a way to tell how I can get this information to confirm if someone has been joy riding in it? Could I pay a dealer to download this information?

Just curious... :)

Thanks

SoCadillac
02-20-06, 02:29 PM
I tried a search on this but did not know what to specifically look for, so I decided to post a new thread. Point me to the thread if this was already covered.

For you techs out there...

I hear there is some sort of box that can tell dealers/insurance companies how your car was driven during a particular period of time but is there a way to tell how I can get this information to confirm if someone has been joy riding in it? Could I pay a dealer to download this information?

Just curious... :)

Thanks
Silver Box (as I was informed):

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/64910-onstar-diagnostics-black-box.html?highlight=black+box

Got5onit
02-20-06, 06:13 PM
Off topic, but:

A really good friend of mine is also named James Baldwin. He lives in Cedar Hill, TX. Played DT for the Sooners during the Switzer years. :alchi:

V-Love
02-21-06, 04:28 AM
The Car Is Yours Untill You Sign It Over To Your Insurance Company. The Box Is Easily Removeable. Good Luck. (the Nav/stereo Comes Out Easier). Take What You Can. Email Me If You Want.

ewill3rd
02-21-06, 08:17 AM
No one is monitoring your driving.
The "black box" everyone is crying about is the SDM. (air bag module)
It records crash data for a set period of time when there is a deployment event.
In other words, it contstantly monitors certain inputs and in the event that a deployment occurs it codes that information and stores it.
This was done for safety reasons to gather important data in a crash that could be used to save someone's life in the future.

That being said there is no way to use any on board system to record information on what is happening to your car at any given time... unless you want them to crash it and then check. It takes special equipment to read the information that is stored in the event of a crash anyway.

Now if you want to track your car I think there are several aftermarket solutions. You can put a transponder in your car and track it to an internet connected PC.
I wouldn't know of a specific kind of service to recommend but I know they are out there. I knew someone in CA that bought one so he could track his daughter's activities. I won't say why but suffice it to say it was because he was a moron and he passed his stupidity on to his kids.

heavymetals
02-21-06, 02:18 PM
here is a good link:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/edr-site/

odysseus
02-21-06, 03:40 PM
If you turn 'tracking' on in the Nav, it will put a dot on the map every 10 seconds or so. Not only will it tell you where they went, but the distance between the dots can be extrapolated to speed (delta position). You'd have to verify how many seconds are between each 'dot' update first, though. Of course, you need to turn it on in advance.

ewill3rd
02-21-06, 05:06 PM
Some people are smart enough to turn that off, you can't rely on that.
If they don't know what it is you might get away with it though.

James Baldwin
02-21-06, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the information. I only wanted it to see if there was a way I could prove the someone at the dealership who had my car was out doing burnouts in it (according to a friend of mine who works at the Lexus dealership next door). Lost cause I guess.

Got5 - not the same JB. Never had the size of a DT ... more an out of shape WR from U of Colorado :)

ctsvett
02-21-06, 09:13 PM
they can't tell if you were doing burnouts....

They need a subpoena and a computer much more sophisticated than a Tech II (which is what the dealers have)....

If you found out they could look at that without any legal action, I imagine that the ACLU (damn me for mentioning them... ) would be on the case.

smoke those tires and enjoy burning out... Also, have fun replacing your tires every 10 miles.

Reed

James Baldwin
02-22-06, 09:04 PM
Problem is.. it is the dealership smoking my tires and me paying for the new tires every 10 miles

thank you all for the input

SoCadillac
02-22-06, 09:12 PM
If you turn 'tracking' on in the Nav, it will put a dot on the map every 10 seconds or so. Not only will it tell you where they went, but the distance between the dots can be extrapolated to speed (delta position). You'd have to verify how many seconds are between each 'dot' update first, though. Of course, you need to turn it on in advance.
Odysseus has a good point, and yes someone could defeat this, but there are different service techs for different aspect of service, so unless you were taking in your V for anything electronic, this solution could be helpful.

There is also this, if they make it for the V:

http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/drive_product.asp?pnum=08225

odysseus
02-22-06, 09:59 PM
My dealers parts guy was telling me that the techs always take the cars for a check ride after doing services like fuel injection flush. His buddy always comes to get him to ride along, when a GTO or other hot cars come in. I'm sure more than a fair share of rubber is sacrificed for this 'service'. I'd be pretty pissed too, if I had a V that someone was abusing (and not paying for the privilege).

Koooop
02-23-06, 02:02 PM
It is the God given right of every lot boy to joy ride your car (put yourself in his place, 400 HP and he doesn't have to pay for tires). Many of them are smart enough to disable the Tracking and reset the G meter. Even after taking these precautions some leave the pizza box in your back seat...

I hope this makes you feel better. :)

ewill3rd
02-23-06, 05:43 PM
James, where do you get your car serviced?
The reason I ask is that we have a Lexus dealer next door.
I can tell you that if you have your car serviced here, I work on it and no burn outs are done.
Our "lot boys" don't mess with them either. The car wash is 20 feet from the parking garage, that is all the further they get to drive them.

If it's not done here, I can't speak for the staff of the place you take it.
I have seen people abuse customer's cars before but fortunately it was not at this dealership.