: Squeaking belt noise - Help!

eurumbaev
02-20-06, 01:15 PM
I'm hoping someone can give me an idea on why I keep geting a squeaking noise in the belt area in my '94 Eldordado. I have replaced the tensioner pulley and the idler pulley, both seemed to have bad bearings. The noise went away for about 2 weeks, and now it's back. What else could cause this? :banghead:
Thanks!

dkozloski
02-20-06, 01:32 PM
Go to your auto parts store and get a spray can of belt dresssing. Give the belt a shot and see if it helps. If the noise goes away it's a belt to pulley issue, if the noise remains it is a bearing issue.

eurumbaev
02-20-06, 03:50 PM
Belt to pulley issue? Please explain. The belt has been replaced a few months back as well.

Patrick7997
02-20-06, 05:07 PM
I had a similar thing.... Ewill3rd, in his response, made a passing reference to "if you get anti-freeze on the belt, it'll squeak a lot..."

I hadn't thought of that, but I had splashed some coolant on the belt while changing it....

I removed the belt, sprayed it off with water, let it dry, and reinstalled it. It squeaked a little for a day and stopped. It's been quiet ever since.

I don't know if you may have splashed coolant on it at some point, but it's just a thought, before you drive yourself crazy....

eurumbaev
02-20-06, 05:43 PM
No, I don't believe I got any coolant on the belt. I have poured some wd40 and motor oil on some of the belt-driven parts like the belt tensioner, which I'm sure got on the belt. That shouldn't cause the squeaking though, it helped actually for a while, but then once it wore off it went back to squeaking. Really anoying. I was so glad when I replaced the tensioner and the idler pulleys, and it didn't make the noise anymore for a couple of weeks. The bearings in those were definately bad, or going bad, especially the tensioner pulley. Is it possible that any other bearings could be bad? The alternator is new, so that's out of the question? Any idea what other parts might have bad barings in them? Thanks for the help!

Ranger
02-20-06, 07:22 PM
When Koz said "belt to pulley issue" he means that it is belt squeeking on a pully. One of the pullies is likey out of alignment. Recheck 'em.

sts96
02-20-06, 09:39 PM
I ran across that replaced the belt twice only cured it with an oem tensioner .
The after market unit just wasn't strong enough.
sts96

Tailfin
02-20-06, 11:30 PM
Getting WD40 and motor oil on it could actually cause the squeaking...same thing with belt dressing/silicone if you use too much. I made that mistake once... The belt slips when it's got too much stuff on it, and oils can gum up with dirt and such. Not positive, that's why, but it makes sense. Anyway, I overdid dressing once and it was horridly loud squeaking...and once it was cleaned off, it was gone...but it could also be a pulley slightly out of alignment, as Ranger said.

dkozloski
02-20-06, 11:48 PM
Back in the old days a squealing belt was a slipping belt. The cure was to hold a bar of laundry soap against the inside of the belt to cut the glaze on it and then tighten the belt. If your problem is a slipping belt, spraying a little belt dressing on it will make it change and confirm the diagnosis. If nothing changes it confirms a bearing problem.

eurumbaev
02-21-06, 09:19 AM
Thanks so much for all your input! :thumbsup: I think the pulley out of allignment is the issue. When I replaced the idler pulley, I did use the aftermarket one, and it was a little different from the original, and it looked like the bearing wasn't flush against the side of the pulley(it was sticking out a little, and looked odd), so my friend who was helping me suggested that I beat the bearing in to get it flush with the pulley. When I put it on, I did see that it was out of allignment a little, probably the distance that I beat it in for.:nono: Again, thank you for your input, this really makes sense now.

dman12345
06-07-06, 07:31 PM
I had the same problem with my belt so i got some a can of belt conditioner and sprayed it on and then i went to start it up and now it is 10 times worse. What is causing this problem?

Ranger
06-07-06, 09:51 PM
I had the same problem with my belt so i got some a can of belt conditioner and sprayed it on and then i went to start it up and now it is 10 times worse. What is causing this problem?
Squeaky idler or tensioner bearing, or pullies out of alignment. Done any work on it lately? Clean that belt dressing off with brakeKleen.

dman12345
06-08-06, 06:04 PM
No i havent done any work on it, i just sprayed the belt dressing and it was worse, so spray brakekleen on it and it will be fine?

Ranger
06-08-06, 09:02 PM
Well I can't say that it will be fine, but I'd start by cleaning the belt and pullies. I have never found belt dressing to be anything more than a temporary fix. I think there is still a can on my shelf from the old "V" belt days. I really gotta go through that shelf one of these days. No telling what I may find.