: CTS-V on Road Trips

DarkKnight
02-20-06, 11:01 AM
Hello All,
I just wanted your thoughts on how you feel your Vs perform on road trips. My V has just under 6K miles after two road trips to san Diego that I have taken over the past three weeks and I have to say I am a bit disappointed in the ride and how I felt after the drive. I was relieved the drive was done after each trip, I also thought the ride was a bit rough. I don't mind the exhaust sound as I do have a Corsa cat back but the road noise was a bit excessive and I could do without it.
So what do you guys think?

P.S.: I did have a bit of fun when a riced out eclipse went by me in at about 110 or so and I decided to downshift from 6th (at 85MPH) to 4th. I reeled him in so fast and to see the look on his face in his rear view mirror was priceless, I then backed off (I was at 140 MPH) and let him go, as he could be my CHP finder.

Florian
02-20-06, 11:04 AM
love it...drive it about 300-400 miles a day. Cant say enough good things about it. I traded my 2000 STS for the V and love the V's ride over the STS. More roadfeel, more driver sensory input....all good!

F

trekster
02-20-06, 11:05 AM
love it...drive it about 300-400 miles a day. Cant say enough good things about it. I traded my 2000 STS for the V and love the V's ride over the STS. More roadfeel, more driver sensory input....all good!

Fhow many miles do you have on your v?

10secvette
02-20-06, 11:12 AM
I bought mine with around 2,200 miles on it from Ohio and drove it straight back to Cali. in 1 1/2 days. It rode great and was comfortable as hell for me. Usually my back gets sore as hell driving long distance, not with the V..... go figure.

Florian
02-20-06, 11:19 AM
how many miles do you have on your v?

Closin in on 50K :thumbsup:

F

DarkKnight
02-20-06, 11:22 AM
I have noticed the road noise has gone up since I bought it, I wonder if the fact that my tires are past their half life has anything to do with it. The tires are good for 10K miles right? Perhaps I should change the brand of tire, if so what tires do you guys recommend?
Also could the TSB bushing kit have stiffened the ride?

Florian
02-20-06, 11:25 AM
Tire noise is insane...get rid of em for GSD3's and the bushings will only squeak...not so much road noise transmission.

F

10secvette
02-20-06, 11:36 AM
Tire noise is insane...get rid of em for GSD3's and the bushings will only squeak...not so much road noise transmission.

F

Low profile tires that may have worn uneven are mostly the problem.

VELOSE
02-20-06, 11:49 AM
Interesting....I just arrived last night from San Diego. I went down for a little sun and got rain and snow instead.:histeric:

Anyhow, I drove 500 miles to and from San Diego. A total of about 7 hours each way. I found my Diff is pretty loud. Meaning, the whine is louder than before. However, I found how to minimize it. Cruise under 85mph and it's quiet. Cruise over 90 and it goes away too. The reason I heard it more on this drive is because, I wasn't blasting the Bose system. The family wanted the drive to be quiet.:D

I don't have the stock tires anymore. I have Nitto Extreme 555 235/35/20 in front and 275/30/20 in back. They are really smooth and quiet. Plus, I had some weight in the trunk. I had a full stock cts-v spare, aluminum craftsman jack, 60lbs in luggage, and a total of 3 passengers including me. So the car was weighed down. In fact, after I did the WWmod(which lowers the rear 1") my car looked like it was sagging in back.

Either way, I had a great time driving my V this weekend. The whine with the diff is my only gripe. However the cure for that is coming in spring, hopefully.;)

Oh, I have 17k miles now.

GOTTSPD
02-20-06, 11:56 AM
I'm surprised at your experience. I drove my V from Texas to Maryland (well over 2,000 miles) and I loved it. I felt fine getting out of the car. It was a remarkably easy drive (esp. considering I did it in 2 days!).

Perhaps this is one of those subjective matters...

thebigjimsho
02-20-06, 12:23 PM
The V performed very well going cross country. 9,600 miles covering 25 states and provinces. Comfortable, even with the F1s. If I went again with the Dunlop SP Maxx Sports, it would've been even better.

crowan
02-20-06, 12:27 PM
Absolutely the best road car I have ever had. I make up excuses for road trips just so I can put the V on the road. With the LS6, the Brembos, the sun-roof, XM radio w/NAV, and a cocoon of airbags.....what's not to like? And the 25 MPG, for those periods of time when your foot is not mashed to the floorboard, is just icing on the cake.

I can drive the V all day without my back getting tired whereas my Jeep Grand Cherokee seats have my back aching after 2 hours. Even in its third year, the V still gets plenty of "what is that?" looks. Even the PoPo like it, as I found out when I hit the radar trap in upstate NY at 112 mph (Disclaimer:Do not attempt this activity unless you have a badge in your pocket, or in Virginia even if you have a badge! :fan: ). The trooper and I wound up standing on the side of the road talking cars while he admired the LS6. Two days later, driving on the return trip through the same stretch of highway, the same trooper spotted me. He pulled onto the road and ran next to me, listening to the Corsa and giving me the :thumbsup: .

Did someone say road trip? :bouncy:

CR

VELOSE
02-20-06, 01:14 PM
Oh yeah, I averaged 19.6mpg. I was steady with 80-85mph and short bursts to pass some cocky, "it's my right of way, I'm going the speed limit on the fastlane" morons. :D

trekster
02-20-06, 01:26 PM
Closin in on 50K :thumbsup:

FWow, I'm almost had mines for 2 years daily driven and I only have 16,800 miles. You must love driving your V a lot.

Florian
02-20-06, 01:36 PM
If my V had a vagina, Id marry it. :worship:

F

GOTTSPD
02-20-06, 01:43 PM

F

tail pipe?

Florian
02-20-06, 01:45 PM
need a little more than that, and frankly, theyre a bit tight on my rather large mule....but you could ask Dannystang, Ive heard he likes pipes in his tail....

F

Koooop
02-20-06, 01:52 PM
After about 4 hours I want the hell out of my V! The seat bottoms are just to hard. The wife and I have done a few road trips (500+ miles each way) in the V and now she begs to take her (:vomit: ) Minivan, as usual I point out that someone might see me in the Minivan so that is entirely out of the question.

ctsvett
02-20-06, 02:23 PM
Interesting....I just arrived last night from San Diego. I went down for a little sun and got rain and snow instead.:histeric:

Anyhow, I drove 500 miles to and from San Diego. A total of about 7 hours each way. I found my Diff is pretty loud. Meaning, the whine is louder than before. However, I found how to minimize it. Cruise under 85mph and it's quiet. Cruise over 90 and it goes away too. The reason I heard it more on this drive is because, I wasn't blasting the Bose system. The family wanted the drive to be quiet.:D

I don't have the stock tires anymore. I have Nitto Extreme 555 235/35/20 in front and 275/30/20 in back. They are really smooth and quiet. Plus, I had some weight in the trunk. I had a full stock cts-v spare, aluminum craftsman jack, 60lbs in luggage, and a total of 3 passengers including me. So the car was weighed down. In fact, after I did the WWmod(which lowers the rear 1") my car looked like it was sagging in back.

Either way, I had a great time driving my V this weekend. The whine with the diff is my only gripe. However the cure for that is coming in spring, hopefully.;)

Oh, I have 17k miles now.

Damn, I wish I had driven your car yesterday. I think that might be tranny noise, not the rear diff.. I personally belive that many people (including myself at one point) are misdiagnosing rear end whine when it is actually a 6th gear moan.

Reed

VELOSE
02-20-06, 03:09 PM
Tell you the truth, that whine sounds familiar though. My 84, 90, and 92 Mustang 5.0's all had that whine, it was the rear diff or drum brakes. That is why I find that the whine is somewhat acceptable at times. At other times I think about how this is a $50k car and with independent suspension, we shouldn't have to hear that. Overall I'm happy though.

At the next meet I come to, we might all be comparing the different rearends we all decided to go with. ;)

rand49er
02-20-06, 04:20 PM

F:histeric: :histeric: :histeric:
One of the best bumper stickers I've ever seen read, "Vaginas Are Way Cool!" ... thought I was gonna lose it on I-94 goin' to Chicago. :thumbsup:

Okay, back from the hijack, actually I've taken a couple of 200+ mile trips (one way), and my lower back bugs me a little ... would like a bit more suport down there. And my right leg gets uncomfortable, too. I'm sure if I messed with the seat setting a bit, I could find a better position. But, hardly any wind noise with the Avons and a smoother ride with them over the runflats. I usually get almost exactly 26 mpg at 70 MPH with cruise control set.:)

Geno
02-20-06, 04:52 PM
Absolutely the best road car I have ever had. I make up excuses for road trips just so I can put the V on the road. With the LS6, the Brembos, the sun-roof, XM radio w/NAV, and a cocoon of airbags.....what's not to like? And the 25 MPG, for those periods of time when your foot is not mashed to the floorboard, is just icing on the cake.

I can drive the V all day without my back getting tired whereas my Jeep Grand Cherokee seats have my back aching after 2 hours. Even in its third year, the V still gets plenty of "what is that?" looks. Even the PoPo like it, as I found out when I hit the radar trap in upstate NY at 112 mph (Disclaimer:Do not attempt this activity unless you have a badge in your pocket, or in Virginia even if you have a badge! :fan: ). The trooper and I wound up standing on the side of the road talking cars while he admired the LS6. Two days later, driving on the return trip through the same stretch of highway, the same trooper spotted me. He pulled onto the road and ran next to me, listening to the Corsa and giving me the :thumbsup: .

Did someone say road trip? :bouncy:

CR

Need I say more. This is by far the best driving car I've ever owned. I've taken 8-10 hour trips, got out of the car and wanted to get back in for more.
I drive 3 hours to the mountains just to attack the curves. I CAN"T GET ENOUGH!:bighead:

Ghost-V
02-21-06, 11:18 AM
The biggest problem I have when taking the V on road trips is that the car just wants to RUN!!!

She cruises sooooo smoothly and effortlessly at 85+, hell, even triple digits, you forget just how fast you're actually traveling!

Haven't experienced much more than a few 3-hour trips, but me and the mrs. felt great the whole time.

If I had to come up with anything negative, it would be how loud the cabin gets when even one window is partially open...

lonestranger
02-22-06, 12:39 PM
Nothing personal, but I sure hope I miss the meeting where we compare rearends!!:eek: :stirpot: :rolleyes: