: Should I restore my 89 Brougham???

AElayyat
02-20-06, 01:18 AM
OK fellas, I already went through this process with my 85 Fleetwood Brougham, I restored little by little and I completed the project just over 1 year ago. Now some of the things I did my self but the more major work needed (body work, paint, top replacement, etc.) was done by shops.

Now my question to you guys is this, should I restore my 89 Brougham? Here is the situation, it needs now where near the amount of work my 85 needed. Here is what has been done so far, intake manifold gaskets replaced @ Caddy dealer for a cost of $475, about 3 oil changes done by me, a few good car washes, and interior detail, done by me.

Here is what the car currentlly needs, front bumper replacement, and probablly one bumper shock (for front), very minimal body work on the fender where the bumper is pushed in, a few minor door dings, rear bumper needs 1 shock to either be replaced or pulled out (if that is possible?), and some minor touch up in the paint. Now on the interior it needs a head linner, and the front arm rests to be reupolstered (I know I cant spell). Now on the mechanical side, it's going to need 2 tires (to have a matching set of tires), and the windshield wiper switch needs replacement, as well as the origional tape player (it doesn't play tapes any more).

So, what do you guys suggest??? I'll try to get some pictures posted this week. As always I appreciate you guys' input.

DopeStar 156
02-20-06, 11:01 AM
I think if you start fixing little shit you'll wanna keep going, it's addictive! I'm almost finished with my '89. In the spring I'm replacing the headliner, then the hood orniment is the only emblem that's not brand new and it's not even that badly faded. Once a set of wire wheels fall into my lap she'll be complete.

If you're interested, I have a radio and a wiper switch from an '87. The backlighting in the wiper switch doesn't work but if you take the bulb outta your old one and swap 'em before you install it, it'll light up. Rediculously easy to do, it just twists and comes out. The radio works, I tried it out in the donor car.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/caddypartsradio.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/caddypartswipers.jpg

CoupeDevilleRob
02-20-06, 09:21 PM
It sounds like all the car needs are a lot of little odds and ends to be in good shape, I'd go for it. Nothing you listed is terribly major or costly, sounds like it can be another nice project. Like DopeStar said, once you replace one little thing you're gonna do another and another and another...I'm caught in it too. Do the world a favor, resurrect another 80's Caddy!!!

BTW, this is post #472 for me, awesome Caddy number!

DopeStar 156
02-21-06, 12:43 AM
Do the world a favor, resurrect another 80's Caddy!!!
That's another thing. We're all part of a group effort to keep these cars from sitting on streets with no hubcaps, torn tops and chipping paint. If you got it, bring it back to its prime! For all the great stuff a car like that has to offer, give it what it deserves. I feel for these cars like people feel for Ethiopian kids or the rainforest. Haha.

AElayyat
02-21-06, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. You are right that restoring a car is addictive. To me my 85 is not complet yet, because I still want a set of the Caddy true spoke rims (like everybody on the fourm).

AElayyat
03-06-06, 04:12 PM
Hey fellas, here is a mini-update.

Yesterday, I got the 2 tires changed on the Brougham, so now I am 98% finished with the mechanical part of this restoration. My plan is to finish the mechanical then work on the cosmetics. For the stereo, I am thinking a nice aftermarket CD player and after market speakers, not too sure on subs yet. But thanks for the encouragement guys.

CoupeDevilleRob
03-06-06, 09:02 PM
Post some progress pictures if you can. I love seeing these things come together.

AElayyat
03-09-06, 02:22 AM
Got the alignment done today at the Caddy dealer for $89. All of the tires shops in the area were only like $10 less, and it was more convient for me to have Caddillac do the job, they are down the stree from my work. My service manager told me that the suspension part in the front end check out, they just have the normal amount of wear. Now its on to the cosmetic part of this mini restoration... With this car my goal is to have a nice clean looking ride for $3000 or under and as much as I could do (mainly to save $$$ that I don't really have), so we'll see.

1989Seville
07-05-07, 09:54 PM
I plan on doing this to my Papa's '89 Seville. He just needs work on the gaskets/ac/cooling fan/few hoses, new paint job, new interior, new stereo and is missing one rear emblem. Being stock isn't a concern, only thing I'll be picky about is going to a junkyard and finding a replacement emblem.

I think it's a wonderful thing that you're doing, I might just be a kid but I understand what it means to get these wonderful cars back on the road!

Motorboat
07-05-07, 11:51 PM
I am the proud owner of an '88 Brougham. I paid top dollar for it and have never looked back or regreted the purchase. It was and is, a turn key car.

I am looking for front and rear bumpers. While inspecting underneath it looks like they may go soon. Help in locating them will be much appreciated.

Glad to be part of this Forum, I've learned a lot and hope to contribute something when I'm sure of what I'm talking about.

AElayyat
07-06-07, 12:38 AM
1989Seville -- sounds like you have a nice little project on your hands there. the 4.5 in that seville will never die. good luck with your project.

motorboat -- for the bumpers i would hit up a pick-a-part, you should be able to find the bumpers there.

an update (if any one is interested)

1) i forgot i even posted this thread. but since then i have done some work on the caddy. i got an aftermarket mp3 cd player (installed by best buy becuase the purchase price included the install), i put new speakers in the front and rear. (sounds so much better).

2) i got new set of monroe air shocks for the rears (the car rides better now)

3) i purchased the front door panel arm rests off of ebay, i need to dye them and install them.

4) i purchased and installed a new alternator about 1 week ago.

5) picked up a set of floor mats from the caddy dealer (the lloyd custom fit mats with the embrodory on the front mats).

6) got an alarm system installed.

7) i got a roll of the stick on pin stripes from pep boys and re did some sections of the pin strip (it was a good match, and it looks a lot better now).

8) replaced the trunk weather strip (old one was not letting watter in but it was ripped in several places)

things left to fix:
headlinner, dye & install front door arm rests, fix front bumper (i think all it needs is the bumper shock on the passenger side).

I'll try to post some pics if you guys are interested. I don't have many before pictures though.

Benzilla
07-06-07, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the update, we'd love to see pictures!

davedbusman
07-06-07, 01:52 AM
I'm working on this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2389007

I've already cut out a lot of the rust on the body and bondo'd it. I have to fix rot on the frame in front of the driver's side rear wheel where most GMs rust.

This past year I changed the radiator, hoses, tranny fluid and filter, U-joints, complete front brakes, brake lines, fan clutch, belts, plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, complete cat-back exhaust, 4 tires, and installed analog gauges. It rides like butter, just floats.

My wife thinks I'm crazy. I might love the Caddy more.

Jonas McFeely
07-06-07, 09:24 AM
That much rust on a '91! Wow. It almost makes the Florida heat bearable.

Night Wolf
07-06-07, 01:29 PM
sheesh... I know what NY winters are like.

The underbody of that car must be trashed too... if it was me, I would just give up on the car... but I really don't like rust.

Benzilla
07-06-07, 01:56 PM
I remember that car, we've talked on CarDomain before. Glad you're still working at it.

AElayyat
07-07-07, 02:29 PM
I'm working on this:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2389007

I've already cut out a lot of the rust on the body and bondo'd it. I have to fix rot on the frame in front of the driver's side rear wheel where most GMs rust.

This past year I changed the radiator, hoses, tranny fluid and filter, U-joints, complete front brakes, brake lines, fan clutch, belts, plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, complete cat-back exhaust, 4 tires, and installed analog gauges. It rides like butter, just floats.

My wife thinks I'm crazy. I might love the Caddy more.

dude that is a lot of rust! good luck with that 91, it is nice to know someone is keeping a 90-92 big body alive.

i'll wash the caddy tonight and post some pics up (she is need of a bath and it is just too damn hot out side right now).

07-08-07, 11:27 AM
for a 1989 Brougham. You can have for fairly cheap, but you'll have to pay the shipping. I bought a (entire) front clip for $200 off a guy who was going to put a 1940 Cadillac body on the 1989 frame.

Let me know if you want it,
pi-:thumbsup: