: oil change timing

matmoeb
02-19-06, 11:38 PM
The little sticker my oil changing place puts inside my window shows every 3k miles. Thats the standard right?
So how come my oil life(according to the HUD) is still barely past 50% after those 3k miles.
Whats up with that?
Every 3k miles or when ur computer tells you to change the oil?
Always wondered.
Moe B

Ranger
02-19-06, 11:48 PM
3K was the standard in the 50's and 60's. The oil change places would like you believe that it still is. It is crucial for them to convince you that you will destroy your engine if you follow the manufaturers advice. Oils today are sooo much better than they were in the 70's. Add to that, engines are better. The OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is a complicated algorithm that monitors such things as RPM, coolant temp, OAT (Outside Air Temp) and many many more. It knows if you are driving long or short trips. It knows if you are heating the engine up completely and burning of oil contaminants. It knows if it is summer or winter. It knows more than Jiffy lube. It and it's creator won awards. Follow it, trust it and save your money.

fpmesiIII
02-19-06, 11:58 PM
3K was the standard in the 50's and 60's. The oil change places would like you believe that it still is. It is crucial for them to convince you that you will destroy your engine if you follow the manufaturers advice. Oils today are sooo much better than they were in the 70's. Add to that, engines are better. The OLM (Oil Life Monitor) is a complicated algorithm that monitors such things as RPM, coolant temp, OAT (Outside Air Temp) and many many more. It knows if you are driving long or short trips. It knows if you are heating the engine up completely and burning of oil contaminants. It knows if it is summer or winter. It knows more than Jiffy lube. It and it's creator won awards. Follow it, trust it and save your money.

exactly, i like the way you put it ranger.

matmoeb
02-20-06, 12:13 AM
I like the way you put it too ranger. Made me smile. And I WILL SAVE MY MONEY!!!
God Bless Cadillac.