: why not first model year?

twister
02-19-06, 10:49 PM
hey everybody, i want to get straight to the point. i keep hearing people say not to buy the first model year of any car/truck, saying your a guinea pig and what not. i understand that every car will have their problems big and small, and i understand that the new parts haven't been out for a while, and haven't really been tested, but my point is that Gm or any other company would not put anything out that they didn't feel was good enough quality for the public to use on a daily basis.

i really like the new escalade/denali and would like to get one hopefully by the end of summer. should i worry? should i wait?

I'm just trying to get everybodys take on how they feel about this subject. i know alot of you guys are purchasing one, if not already have. so just want to see what you guys think...thanks alot

Brian

Cadillade
02-19-06, 11:27 PM
By the time you get yours this summer, many of the possible bugs will get worked out up to that point. Just make sure the manufacture date is the most current at the time of purchase. You would have the warranty to back it up, but would you have the time to have it fixed problem after problem when you do? You may never know, you may be lucky to have a few or none at all, no two trucks are alike.

I have a Buick Terraza and beginning to see some problems with it as it only has a few hundred of miles on it and this is a 2005 model, the first year of the new model. Many people I have heard had their vans brought back by GM, but a few kept them trouble-free, so it really depends on the vehicle.

Just keep your eyes on things and get it fix promptly when you can if it ever arises. If you like what you see, there is no reason why you won't buy it. It is all up to you. Good luck on your shopping.

mikeee
02-19-06, 11:39 PM
well, in my experience with GM, its not really a tech problem they work out, its the added features. Almost every single GM vehivle got a few nice upgrades after the first year. Its under warranty and thats why I dont worry about maintenance anymore, but i still wont buy the 1st year model because i know for a fact GM will add features in the next year, and I dont want to get stuck having to get aftermarket mods to have what the new year models do,

fast66
02-20-06, 05:11 AM
yeah i bought the ext when it first came out, next year they changed the interior and added his headlamps. If I were you I would wait till next years model.

ewill3rd
02-20-06, 06:58 AM
Yep, those are two pretty good historically based reasons.

1. Often in the process of releasing a new platform some minor things are overlooked. I can think of dozens of examples of problems in early production cars for almost any carline. After they have been on the road for a while adjustments are made in manufacturing and equipment that eliminate the problems you typically find in early production models.

2. People always want more. It does seem that the second or third year something comes out it's got a few more bells and whistles in it.
Stuff that may not be available in pre-production but 3 years later is cheap and easy to install.

Of course those things can be said about almost any GM car on the road regardless of it's production date. The whole "keep up with the Jones' " mentality can end up costing you lots of time and money. Actually if you want to get technical it's probably the best to buy the last production of an older body style. In other words... you'd probably save lots of time and money buying the last of the '06 model over buying a brand new early production '07. The older one is going to have all the stuff in it you can get and it's stuff that's had all the bugs worked out so you'd probably have fewer problems with the truck. Of course all your neighbors won't really envy you if you get the "old" one. Depends on how much attention you need to get when you go out driving your truck.

twister
02-20-06, 05:44 PM
Yep, those are two pretty good historically based reasons.

1. Often in the process of releasing a new platform some minor things are overlooked. I can think of dozens of examples of problems in early production cars for almost any carline. After they have been on the road for a while adjustments are made in manufacturing and equipment that eliminate the problems you typically find in early production models.

2. People always want more. It does seem that the second or third year something comes out it's got a few more bells and whistles in it.
Stuff that may not be available in pre-production but 3 years later is cheap and easy to install.

Of course those things can be said about almost any GM car on the road regardless of it's production date. The whole "keep up with the Jones' " mentality can end up costing you lots of time and money. Actually if you want to get technical it's probably the best to buy the last production of an older body style. In other words... you'd probably save lots of time and money buying the last of the '06 model over buying a brand new early production '07. The older one is going to have all the stuff in it you can get and it's stuff that's had all the bugs worked out so you'd probably have fewer problems with the truck. Of course all your neighbors won't really envy you if you get the "old" one. Depends on how much attention you need to get when you go out driving your truck.

great info, i think you hit the nail on the head...well say i went for the older style 06...it's gonna be pretty hard to pick the truck that i want, im pretty sure they won't have many left to pick from by this august/september...what you guys think? i basically want a escalade don't really care if it's a ext or just plain escalade, in white diamond and sunroof. thats basically what i want...

any comments on this?

shinyescalade
02-20-06, 06:29 PM
if you are speaking about the 07 escalade being the first model year, then go for it, the four year warranty should calm your nerves a bit. IMO - you will be able to find plenty of 06 escalades later this year if you head down that path, too.

Kappa-Lac
02-20-06, 09:44 PM
Well I have a different view point. I bought the first "new body style" escalade back in Oct. 2001 (2002 model year). I think the 2002 was a far better truck than the 2003-2006's (except for the navigation and HID's) I put almost 85,000 miles on that truck with out a single problem.

One thing you can count on is that a lot of the "standard" features of the NEW 2007's will be "cheapened" in the 2008- models. I currently drive a 2004 ESV Platinum, and the leather in my 2002 was much better than in my platinum. The 13 speaker Bose system sounded better than the 10 speaker system in my platinum. Don’t get me wrong.... I am not saying the 2002 escalade is better than my platinum, I am just saying that the 2002 was a VERY solid truck.

Cadillac is good at sparking interest in a vehicle. And I am sure they will do the same with the 2007 as they did with the 2002 escalade. Remember when a car maker introduces a "All New" truck they are banking on this truck to set the tone for future sales. I am sure Cadillac will again keep adding something new every other year to keep us coming back (Like HID's in 2003, Navigation and DVD players in 2004, Upgraded interiors in 2004-2005)

I say go for the first modle year........cause I am!