: How to lower a '99 on 20's?

Partiers_com
02-19-06, 07:57 PM
We have a '99 escalade on 20's that we need help lowering properly. We'd like to lower it so that the front and rear are level. How much higher does the rear sit so we can make it level?

We'd like to lower the vehicle 2 inches. Is it true you can use the factory torsion springs in the front to lower it 2 inches (a true 2 inches)? I've seen some kits that have front torsion keys and shackles and hangers. Is that all we need + the proper shocks?

If possible, please provide a link to the product (or part#'s) you think we can use (& shocks preferred) + some tech info. We really need some help for this project.

Thanks

jordan00escalade
02-19-06, 08:09 PM
I'm having mine lowered.. I put on some 22 inch rims and the front is higher than the rear. I believe mine is raised to the max, because it wears on the outer edges of my front tires only. I'm going to have to get another alignment when they adjust the torsion bars though. You can lower your front end with the torsion bars that is correct. I'm just going to the tire/rim shop and let them do it and give me another alignment.

slimm44
02-19-06, 08:36 PM
2" lowering shackles is all you need to get it level (unless you have sagging springs).

Partiers_com
02-20-06, 01:01 AM
...ok, so a 2/4 drop is correct? 2 inches front, 4 inches rear ...to be level? Thanks.

Nasty Black Lac
02-20-06, 10:58 AM
Can you lower just the rear to make one of these look level? I just bought an 03 and it just seems like the rear is so JACKED up. Then you wouldn't have to have it realigned either. I have read about the air-ride lever that needs to be rebent so the computer doesn't get confused with different springs. Is that all it would take, a couple of springs?

jordan00escalade
02-20-06, 08:19 PM
Nasty me and Paritiers have to OBS Escalades.. You have to 02+ model.

jordan00escalade
02-20-06, 09:36 PM
You can see in this picture that my front end needs to be lowered to be at the same level as the rear.. Guess my torsion bars were raised at some point, almost to the max.. I noticed my front tires are wearing on the outer edges pretty fast. I was told if I adjust my torsion bars, I will need another alignment.

Partiers_com
02-21-06, 11:26 AM
jordan00escalade - what did you use in the rear to obtain that drop? what are you going to put in the front to level it out? need help here

slimm44 - if 2" shackles work, do you mean i need to do a 4/2 drop (2" drop in the front and 4" in the rear) to make it level and lowered? thanks

is it possible to use 275 55 20 tires instead of 275 45 20 tires to fill the fender gaps with the 20" rims?

jordan00escalade
02-23-06, 08:31 PM
jordan00escalade - what did you use in the rear to obtain that drop? what are you going to put in the front to level it out? need help here

slimm44 - if 2" shackles work, do you mean i need to do a 4/2 drop (2" drop in the front and 4" in the rear) to make it level and lowered? thanks

is it possible to use 275 55 20 tires instead of 275 45 20 tires to fill the fender gaps with the 20" rims?

I didn't lower the rear. That's the stock height, I used a 45 series tire over the common 40 series tire with my 22s. I'm going to have my front torsion bars adjusted to level the front with the rear, and have my front end re-aligned

Partiers_com
02-23-06, 11:44 PM
Measurement from the ground to the fender in the front: approx. 34.5 inches
Measurement from the ground to the fender in the rear: approx. 33.5 inches

Does this mean that a 3/3 drop or a 3/4 drop (3 inches front, 4 inches rear) would work properly? Most of the kits we've seen have a 1 to 3 inch drop in the front and some with a non-adjustable 4 inch drop in the rear.

Still confused :confused: !!!

I need to get rid of these gaps:
See http://www.partiers.com/99escalade_partiers_com.jpg

Sloppy D
02-24-06, 02:00 AM
I just traded my 00 but did run into the same issue and it is a simple fix I was running goodyear LS 275/55/20, My advice get the rear were you would like it if you want it lower, Install shackles I had 4 inch shackles on mine. As soon as you get the rear where you want it start on the front make sure that you are parked on a good level spot. Get a measurement from the bottom lip of the front fender to the center of the wheel on each side once you have your starting measurments start cranking down your torsion bars. Make sure you count your cranks on the torsion bars so that you can be close on each side.you can get 2 inches plus out of this just go in sections and check your measurments often so you dont have to keep going up and down. Keep in mind that the true way to lower the front of this vehicle is with the torsion keys, but this works just as good and can be done with a ratchet and socket and nothing more, had mine lowered like this for over a year then traded for an 05. No rubbing or trimming of the plastics. Hope this helps

slimm44
02-24-06, 06:54 PM
You can see in this picture that my front end needs to be lowered to be at the same level as the rear.. Guess my torsion bars were raised at some point, almost to the max.. I noticed my front tires are wearing on the outer edges pretty fast. I was told if I adjust my torsion bars, I will need another alignment.
if thats completely stock, i'd say your rear springs are sagging like mine were:
http://www.e-44.net/Escalade/photos/photo8.jpg
lowering the front by decranking the torsion bars a couple of turns would be the easiest to get it level. yes, you will need a new alignment after messing with the torsion bars. but make sure you drive it around the block a few times to make sure the front is sitting at the right height (no sense in getting an alignment just to find out its still too high/low).

slimm44 - if 2" shackles work, do you mean i need to do a 4/2 drop (2" drop in the front and 4" in the rear) to make it level and lowered? thanks if your springs aren't sagging, then yes 2/4 would make it lower and level.

jordan00escalade
02-24-06, 10:13 PM
Yea thanks Slimm... I better take a look at my suspension (rear). I'll have them lower the truck and have a few looks after a spin around the corner too. I just know that the front is way too high, because my tires are wearing faster on the outer edges and I just had them put on. Have you raised your new pick-up or miss your old Escalade yet?

slimm44
02-24-06, 10:41 PM
i definately miss being lifted, but not all the broken parts... lol. my silverado will be lifted (not as high as the lade), but not for at least a year since i'm going into the Coast Guard and don't have the time/money for it right now.

Partiers_com
02-25-06, 12:52 AM
Contacted Belltech and they recommended the following part#'s to lower the 1999 - 2000 Escalades:
BEL-3902 = LOWERING KIT 3/2
BEL-7201 = FRONT SHOCKS
BEL-7502 = REAR SHOCKS

Got 'em on order so let ya know how it goes in a couple weeks! Wish us luck!
and thanks for the help so far.

Partiers_com
03-01-06, 06:27 PM
Before we begin, does the '99 have any type of electronic Cadillac air-ride suspension system or whatever that we have to fool with or worry about? :bigroll: Thanks.

slimm44
03-01-06, 09:34 PM
nope. torsion bars and leaf springs.