: Need help from experts ASAP~!!

04CTSVFLA
02-19-06, 05:52 PM
So I installed the b&m short shifter I bought from ace. He had already added lots of sound-deadening material to the stalk of the shifter. Anyways, after the install was all done....I go out for a ride. Bad news. When accelerating, I am hearing a very loud chattering type of noise (similar to transmission roll over I guess) even when sitting still and pressing the gas to rev up same noise. I am really worried. The sound is so loud, my enigne pitch seems changed. all i can hear when driving is this noise.there is also a slight scraping noise that happens when changing gears (not the normall notchy type of sound short shifters often make. can anyone make any sense of this -- is it normal - i really hope not. anyone recommend anything??? I wish some of u lived near me, to help diagnose this , cuz its very hard to explain.

Florian
02-19-06, 06:02 PM
relax.....its normal for the B&M to transmit tranny noise. You get this because there is no urethane in the stalk (like the UUC) to deaden the noise. I tossed my Katech short shifter cause I couldnt stand the tranny grind between shifts and the constant gear noise. Get used to it or buy a UUC.

F

04CTSVFLA
02-19-06, 06:02 PM
I was reading some other posts under search term "b&m" and there a post that perfectly depicts the noise Im getting - MARBLES it sounds exactly like raspy marbles. aahhhhh i hate this.

Florian
02-19-06, 06:13 PM
get a UUC....

F

02-19-06, 06:18 PM
Clearly ace ripped you off. In fact, this shifter is probably what caused your leather to crack. Perhaps you should go kick his arse.

:stirpot:

ace996
02-19-06, 06:24 PM
Did you put the rubber sleve back on over the stalk? That could transmit some sound if it's not on.

Do this, take the shift-knob off and go for a ride. See if the sound is coming from the shifter/tunnel area.

The marbles sound are the synchros making themselves known. You could take the sound-deadening off, and re-apply some new Dynamat on the stalk.

The noise was loud before I put the DeadSkin on, and re-aligned the shift-fork bushings...make sure those screws aren't too tight.
Good luck, call me if you need.
-ace

ace996
02-19-06, 06:26 PM
Clearly ace ripped you off. In fact, this shifter is probably what caused your leather to crack. Perhaps you should go kick his arse.

Shhhhh...nobody's supposed to know about the leather-cracking shifter....shhhhh!
-ace

rand49er
02-19-06, 06:45 PM
I was reading some other posts under search term "b&m" and there a post that perfectly depicts the noise Im getting - MARBLES it sounds exactly like raspy marbles. aahhhhh i hate this.Sheesh ... my hearing must be getting worse than I thought!:alchi:

10secvette
02-19-06, 06:49 PM

As the self proclaimed resident board expert, I agree.

ace996
02-19-06, 07:07 PM
As the self proclaimed resident board expert, I agree.

Perhaps you shoud try for him....:thumbsup:

10secvette
02-19-06, 08:27 PM
Perhaps you shoud try for him....:thumbsup:

What.... kick the pu$$y's azz?

stkshkr
02-19-06, 09:18 PM
I had the same noise with my B&M. I installed the UUC bushings from Lindsey and........Silence.

04CTSVFLA
02-19-06, 10:07 PM
it might be the fork, which bolts not too tight ace? a picture with arrows would be helpful. I mean i think your sound deadening is not the issue...i believe it has silenced it to a degree. I didnt put that rubber boot on either.......that may be the problem.....the directions never mention that piece.

ace996
02-19-06, 10:47 PM
You need the rubber boot to tightly go over the sound deadening...that will make things much quieter. Try that and come back...
-ace

lasstss
02-20-06, 12:02 AM
You need the rubber boot to tightly go over the sound deadening...that will make things much quieter. Try that and come back...
-ace

The rubber boot has a few thou thickness. If you leave it out it will let the nylon socket rattle in place. I have spacer rings and boots if anyone needs one. If you leave the boot out, a spacer ring will take up the slack.

04CTSVFLA
02-20-06, 02:26 AM
im speaking of the little rubber boot piece that was on the bottom of the stock shifter stalk. of course i reinstalledthe upper boot type piece wgich was connected to the blasck plastic plate.

04CTSVFLA
02-21-06, 03:38 PM
You guys wont believe what was causing all this noise. IO removed the shift knob and boot in the middle of the road today, and drove home without it. AND low and behold 99% of all the noises I was hearing, asnd guys let me tell you it was beginning to be unbearable ie i was going to uninstall it today. I couldnt even hear my engine rev up...only the chattering and marbles. I remember reading somewhere that someone felt the stock shift knob was like an amplifier well it IS. Anything I can do about this while still keeping the stock knob? Maybe remove the metal weight in the top of the knob and put dynamat in it place?

ace996
02-22-06, 12:09 AM
You guys wont believe what was causing all this noise. IO removed the shift knob and boot in the middle of the road today, and drove home without it. AND low and behold 99% of all the noises I was hearing, asnd guys let me tell you it was beginning to be unbearable ie i was going to uninstall it today. I couldnt even hear my engine rev up...only the chattering and marbles. I remember reading somewhere that someone felt the stock shift knob was like an amplifier well it IS. Anything I can do about this while still keeping the stock knob? Maybe remove the metal weight in the top of the knob and put dynamat in it place?

J,
You could fill the void in the knob with a polyurethane or "ShoeGoo"...that should dampen the resonance within the knob and quiet down the sound...strange, I never heard about the knob being the issue but one never knows what can go wrong during install....:)

Glad to hear that you found the issue...so, with the knob off the stick...how does it sound? Any noise from the stick now?
-ace

04CTSVFLA
02-22-06, 02:03 AM
None except the delightful noise of metal when shifting. I dont think that sho glu will work
im trying to think of something ..maybe a small piece of dynamat would be best