: First test drive yesterday, w/questions

blow03ss
02-19-06, 01:03 PM
Well I have been in the market now for about a month and I finally went to drive a V. The car was a 04 w/26K on it and seem to be in rough shape to me. So I need to ask whats normal and what is abnormal for this car.
1. Clutch throw seams really lazy and long, just not very confident?
2. Rear end felt really loose, is this the crap O.E tires?
3. It felt like the rear end was all over the place, is this wheel hop?
4. Interior problems, buttons on radio had paint peel, sunroof handle had paint peel?
5. The home link box and visor material had seperation?
6. Steering wheel and driver seat leather seemed worn out with only 26K ????
7. After some semi serious driving the engine had a really rough idle to it?

Just thought I would ask so I know what to look for from here on out. What are the key point to look at with this car, ie weak links when I comes to buying a prewoned? Thanks for the help guys.

heavymetals
02-19-06, 01:08 PM
You should go drive a new one first so you have something to compare to.

The rear end "all over the place" may just be alignment.

If the toe-in for the rear wheels isn't set right, it will feel like it wants to kick out under acceleration. :eek:

blow03ss
02-19-06, 01:13 PM
I know if I go drive a new one it will be very tight and thats really not what I am looking for in a sense. I can't afford new so, I know I will have to buy a used V but I want to know what is normal for that milage.

heavymetals
02-19-06, 01:17 PM
"normal" is not a word to use on a V.

You could have tried one that someone beat the heck out of in less then 30k miles, or modded to all get out, returned to stock and traded in.

Sounds like it (beat to heck) from your description.

blow03ss
02-19-06, 01:22 PM
I was thinking either modded and beat or just some punk who could care less about what daddy bought him. I may take a drive down to Deleware tomarrow to drive another. I have to find a V I can be happy with.

CVP33
02-19-06, 01:26 PM
Well I have been in the market now for about a month and I finally went to drive a V. The car was a 04 w/26K on it and seem to be in rough shape to me. So I need to ask whats normal and what is abnormal for this car.
1. Clutch throw seams really lazy and long, just not very confident?
2. Rear end felt really loose, is this the crap O.E tires?
3. It felt like the rear end was all over the place, is this wheel hop?
4. Interior problems, buttons on radio had paint peel, sunroof handle had paint peel?
5. The home link box and visor material had seperation?
6. Steering wheel and driver seat leather seemed worn out with only 26K ????
7. After some semi serious driving the engine had a really rough idle to it?

Just thought I would ask so I know what to look for from here on out. What are the key point to look at with this car, ie weak links when I comes to buying a prewoned? Thanks for the help guys.

1. Clutch pickup is really all over the place. My '04 was completely different from my '05.
2/3. Most likely your feeling a bus load of torque causing the rear to dance. Now if it was bouncing and sounded like something was slamming the underside of the car then it was the dreaded wheel hop.
4/5. If you're within your warranty period you should be able to get these fixed/replaced with no issues.
6. I had 30,000 miles and never had any premature wearing of the wheel, seats or carpets.
7. Rough idle is endemic to all LS6. Nothing to worry about, just 400HP letting you know it's there when you need it.

wildwhl
02-19-06, 01:32 PM
I can add a little here.

Define what rear end felt really loose means?

The sunvisor issue has happened to me 3 times - dealer will generally replace no questions asked. I can tell you how to fix it which is far less hassle. Requires a touch of adhesive and a credit card or hard, thin piece of plastic.

Radio/Nav buttons can also be replaced under warranty. I'm assuming the original factory warranty is/will be intact when ownership transfers? Also a known and common issue.

Steering wheel/driver's seat. Mine are still like new at 21K miles - so can't help there. Is this CVP's old car? I know he has gas issues...and bathing - might be his fault.

Rough idle is :thumbsup:

Flyboy
02-19-06, 01:34 PM
Me....?

I'd pass on that one.......look for another one not so "rough"

blow03ss
02-19-06, 01:34 PM
Im starting to think that this car was just beat...period and I will have better luck on the next one. I hope to find a V soon. Thanks for the input. Are there any items I should be looking at carefully when I go to look at the next one?

blow03ss
02-19-06, 01:41 PM
Yeah you know I have no intrest in buying this car at all. I just needed to go drive the car and see what Im getting into. What I meant by the rear end being loose is the lack of confidence there under power. I know that the car make gobs of power....duh its a LS6 .......but under high RPM it felt like there was something not right. I have no idea on how to explain to you. They wanted $34000 for it and I just laughed at them!

wildwhl
02-19-06, 01:44 PM
Sounds like one to pass on for sure. I know there are real clean versions out there for that much. Just keep looking. Heck, you might even find a new '05 on a lot for REAL CHEAP if you're persistent.

WW

blow03ss
02-19-06, 01:56 PM
That would be great if they would offer the 2.5% rate on a 05. But something tells me it would have to be a 06. I have to stay with in some guidelines otherwise I have to get rid of my truck and I will not do that.

pseudosport
02-19-06, 02:38 PM
I was thinking either modded and beat or just some punk who could care less about what daddy bought him. I may take a drive down to Deleware tomarrow to drive another. I have to find a V I can be happy with.

Where in Delaware?

blow03ss
02-19-06, 03:46 PM
I have to dig that up, I think its in Willmington. I have to get back to you on that.

crowan
02-19-06, 04:03 PM
A decent V drives like its on rails. However if you are on cold F1 runflats, it can get dicey. I agree that you probably drove a car that has been flogged to death.

A V at MSRP is a performance bargain. A good used V is an automotive wet dream. There are some excellent bargains out there. Be patient and get the right car.

CR

blow03ss
02-19-06, 04:06 PM
Thanks man, Im trying to get in contact with one of the members here that has a silver 04 in Va for sale.

V-SATX
02-19-06, 04:15 PM
Blow,

You may want to do a dealer search for a left-over 05. This is what I did and I saved over $9K. Just a suggestion.

PS I also kick some but on the interest rate with a GMAC incentive.

02-19-06, 06:08 PM
DRIVE A NEW ONE. Who cares if you have any intention of buying one.

Why? Because if you are going to spend $30-$40K on a low mileage used car, IT DAMN WELL BETTER FEEL PRETTY CLOSE TO NEW. Besides, you are in a better bargaining position if you know exactly what is "less then perfect".

The other dawg sounds like CVP's old car; maybe they shipped it up north where nobody has seen him sitting with it on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.....

(or maybe it's the "restored to stock" drift caddy, or other pampered doctor's car.... :rolleyes: )