: Help My Brand New V has no Reverse Gear!

ILoveMyV
02-19-06, 05:31 AM
Hello,

My brand new 2006 CTS-V suddenly will NOT shift into Reverse at all. I can drive in all forward gears except for my reverse gear! My car has a really bad smell inside the cabin also, but I can not determine what the smell is. I was able to get my car home, but I can't back out of my garage right now.

This is now going to be my 4th issue with my brand NEW V. The issues so far are...

1.) A/C Inoperational .... Delivered from the factory with this defect.
2.) CD Changer Inoperational... Delivered from the factory with this defect.
3.) Drivers Side Seat Inoperational.... Occured with 50 miles on the odomoter. Due to blown fuse.
4.) Reverse Gear Inoperational... Occured within first 500 miles of taking delivery.

Tell me this isn't normal. Four issues with a brand new $55K car. Need to have OnStar order me a tow truck on Monday to have it towed into the dealer again.

I'm REALLY scared that this car is going to be a lemon... What should or can I do?

moldowan
02-19-06, 06:03 AM
Make lemonade!
If I were you and had that many problems I would leave it at the dealer and say see you in court! there is no excuse for a new 55k new car to have the problems you have had!
That being said if you read about other peoples problems all the time on forums you tend to start to hate your car and look for the next problem instead of enjoying the car.
I know every little noise or strange thing that happens when I'm in my car I say to my wife "did you hear/feel that?" she wishes I would dump the car because shes sick of hearing that!
Although this forum has great members and is great for its wealth of knowledge/information I can for sure say that It has made me a bit on the paraniod side of how I view my car (at the least).
-moldy

moldowan
02-19-06, 06:05 AM
oh yeah,
the problem you have could be the same as mine (the bushings failed and they replaced the entire shifter assembly). But since your car is so new it might be a tranny problem?
good luck!

CIWS
02-19-06, 08:34 AM
Why not take it back to them and say "You've sold me a lemon, so I'm cancelling the deal" and get a refund on your cash. Then find a 04 or 05 for 20K less than you paid on the 06 and Mod the hell out of it like you want to do. Total price would end up being less than you've already paid.

daytripper
02-19-06, 08:58 AM
Very ironic that you stumbled on to the V's quality weaknesses a day after you post your big plans for mods. The mods may or may not make it even less reliable, but they sure will give you headaches on warranty. Even a good dealer install may not fully insulate you from warranty denial if you get tagged by a bad zone rep on a service visit.

I really would recommend you reconsider the level of mods you are considering on the new V. Used V would at least be cheaper -- and nearer the end of warranty, with the good and bad that comes with that.

Brian R.

02-19-06, 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear of your frustration. Have your tried shifting into first gear, then going into reverse? A "feature" of these cars is that they don't always like to go into reverse, but if you put the shifter in first (or any other gear) then go directly into reverse, it goes in OK.

I hope they get you all straightened out. By the way, is this a 2005 or 2006? (forgive me if this is indicated in another post but I am lazy).

D

CVP33
02-19-06, 10:25 AM
Paalllleeeeeezzzzz! These are just minor annoyances. You haven't even paid your dues yet. You haven't been denied a warrany claim or had your V sit in the dealershipi for weeks. Quit complaining and go enjoy your V. You can get back with us when center counsel cracks, sunvisor detaches, nav buttons peel, radiator leaks, pressure plate, clutch and slave cylinder die, driveshaft or half shaft breaks or your differential fails more than one time.

Until then, I don't want to hear any of this whining about my car this or my car that. Suck it up! Now can we please get some positive threads about how much fun the V is to drive. :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

kjr39
02-19-06, 10:31 AM
Why do I get the feeling that you've been waiting to post something like this for awhile, Chris?

CVP33
02-19-06, 10:35 AM
Why do I get the feeling that you've been waiting to post something like this for awhile, Chris?

I just get tired of all this negative stuff about the V. :thumbsup: And P.S. I tried to post this twice yesterday and the laptop kept crashing. Finally got it in today.

lasstss
02-19-06, 10:49 AM
Sorry to hear of your frustration. Have your tried shifting into first gear, then going into reverse? A "feature" of these cars is that they don't always like to go into reverse, but if you put the shifter in first (or any other gear) then go directly into reverse, it goes in OK.

I hope they get you all straightened out. By the way, is this a 2005 or 2006? (forgive me if this is indicated in another post but I am lazy).

D
\

Correct as above (unless there are problems)
This has been an issue on manual transmissions forever. If the box is cold and all of the gears are in motion, it may be hard to grab reverse first (no synchros). It is also better these days with a lighter fluid. Always catch 1,3 or 5 first. Reverse will be easier. ( The Tremec may have reverse syncros, Im not sure).

CIWS
02-19-06, 10:52 AM
I just get tired of all this negative stuff about the V. :thumbsup: And P.S. I tried to post this twice yesterday and the laptop kept crashing. Finally got it in today.

Could the laptop be a Inspiron-V ? http://www.ciws.net/ctsv/happyhappy.gif

You know referencing the "not going into reverse" question. As I've discovered several times now, when it acts this way it only requires me to move / roll the car very slightly either direction (forward or back) and then it easily goes into reverse. So I wonder what the "block" is ?

CVP33
02-19-06, 10:57 AM
Could the laptop be a Inspiron-V ? http://www.ciws.net/ctsv/happyhappy.gif

You know referencing the "not going into reverse" question. As I've discovered several times now, when it acts this way it only requires me to move / roll the car very slightly either direction (forward or back) and then it easily goes into reverse. So I wonder what the "block" is ?

LOL. NO it's a Toshiba Satellite with an over heating problem. I'm actually in Atlanta right now, that's why I couldn't meet Wldwhl for our date. DAMN! Double DAMN!

GAGS-V
02-19-06, 01:25 PM
Hey, Ilovemyv: Like some of the posts mention, try first or second, pull up just a little then try reverse. What does that do?

CRZY747
02-19-06, 01:39 PM
I had a similar problem before in my V, I just reved the engine a little. Then tried it, seem to work a lot better, when I mean a little just rev it 200rpm more and push the clutch in and put in Reverse.

wildwhl
02-19-06, 01:40 PM
Chris -

The Toshiba laptop with overheating problem. I have the same one. Want to know the fix (and you don't have to trade it in, but will have to disassemble the entire thing).

WW - missed you last night.

DILLIGAF
02-19-06, 01:57 PM
Reverse is over rated.Document all this crap,make the dealer make it right.

ILoveMyV
02-19-06, 02:15 PM
Hello,

I tried moving my car forward, and was able to drive my car all the way home, using all my gears, but I still can not shift into reverse for any reason. There is a really foul smell coming into the cabin.

With these issues on a brand new car, do I have the right to ask for the car to be refunded, or do I have to wait for lemon law? I know allot of you said that there are going to be allot more issues yet to come, but this car is brand new and is already giving allot of issues.

I had to miss the V meet today because of this.

DILLIGAF
02-19-06, 02:46 PM
Call a lawyer first thing tomorrow morning!Machines aren't perfect!However,you are not seeing typical V ownership.Your car is possessed,try to get out of this transaction asap!Even if you have to take a little on the chin.I've got 27000 miles 14000 of those miles maggied on my V and have seen none of this shit.BAIL,JUMP SHIP,PUNT,CALL a LAWYER.Keep us posted and we'll try to put you in a car that has had it's quirks worked out.You'll love the V when you get one that works.

V-SATX
02-19-06, 03:01 PM
How long has it been since you purchased the car? I believe you can ask for a full refund within 14 days (cooling off period in most States). At the very least I would ask for a completely different vehicle. Your issues sound extraordinary for a brand new 06.

The foul smell in my cabin was the radiator leak I had at 500 miles. Dealer replaced same day service no questions asked.

rand49er
02-19-06, 03:04 PM
... I couldn't meet Wldwhl for our date ...This forum is evolving.:eek:

crowan
02-19-06, 03:07 PM
This forum is evolving.:eek:

Welcome to "Brokediff Mountain!" :eek:

V-SATX
02-19-06, 03:18 PM
:eek: :crybaby:

ILoveMyV
02-19-06, 03:28 PM
My car is 7 days old and has about 500 miles on it. In the state of California there is no cooling off period. I doubt the dealer will allow a return or exhange even with 6 issues with my brand new car.

Guess on Monday I need to have the car towed in for a new tranny, and now a radiator that is bad, as the smell in the cabin in awefull, and now there is a wierd rattle coming from the dash internally....

V-SATX
02-19-06, 03:44 PM
My car is 7 days old and has about 500 miles on it. In the state of California there is no cooling off period. I doubt the dealer will allow a return or exhange even with 6 issues with my brand new car.

Guess on Monday I need to have the car towed in for a new tranny, and now a radiator that is bad, as the smell in the cabin in awefull, and now there is a wierd rattle coming from the dash internally....

I would explore all of your options with the dealer first. (Flame Statement), most dealers will try and make it correct on a new purchase. :confused: Are you a new customer? Our local news here in SA love stories such as yours...they call it crime stoppers!!!:eek:

02-19-06, 05:11 PM
I had what we thought was a big problem with my brand new 2004 CTS-V; the infamous clunk that, at that time (Feb 2004), nobody understood. Everybody thought the tranny and/or the differential was bad, and they took the car back no questions asked (after 3 days but only 85 miles). They tore up my check as it hadn't been deposited yet, though.....and I suspect that the paperwork had not been processed so they may have been able to resell the car as a demo or otherwise "new".

As other V's came in with the same clunk and everyone realized the "parade driving" situation, I ended up buying another V later on. I did all my cross shopping with Audi S4, M3's, AMG's (no SRT's available way back then)...and ultimately came back to the V....

Florian
02-19-06, 05:24 PM
Id say devolving....

F

ILoveMyV
02-19-06, 07:49 PM
Hey Guys,

Well this is strange. I woke up this morning and found out that my reverse gear is suddenly working just fine in my V again. I still have a very foul smell coming from the vents into the car, but all the gears work once again.

I know that last night when it wouldn't shift into reverse that I tried everything in the book, rolling the car, light rev while trying to shift...I even drove around town and still couldn't get the car into reverse, even a few buddies of mine tried with no such luck.

Not sure why the gears would not work last night, but suddenly now. Maybe the rain caused the safetly lockout devise that prevents accidental shifts into reverse while moving

Going to take the car to Crestview Cadillac tommorow to have the tranny looked at and to help locate the cause of this really foul smell that is coming through the vents.

At least I was able to take my car to the meetup this morning...

CVP33
02-19-06, 08:02 PM
Hey Guys,

Well this is strange. I woke up this morning and found out that my reverse gear is suddenly working just fine in my V again. I still have a very foul smell coming from the vents into the car, but all the gears work once again.

I know that last night when it wouldn't shift into reverse that I tried everything in the book, rolling the car, light rev while trying to shift...I even drove around town and still couldn't get the car into reverse, even a few buddies of mine tried with no such luck.

Not sure why the gears would not work last night, but suddenly now. Maybe the rain caused the safetly lockout devise that prevents accidental shifts into reverse while moving

Going to take the car to Crestview Cadillac tommorow to have the tranny looked at and to help locate the cause of this really foul smell that is coming through the vents.

At least I was able to take my car to the meetup this morning...

Let me save you the trouble of a trip to the dealer. Your ticket will read "unable to duplicate" and you'll be sent on your merry way. Wait until the condition is present or premanent. You can ask the tech to log the incident for you in your file. This might help you down the road.

thebigjimsho
02-19-06, 09:08 PM
I just get tired of all this negative stuff about the V. :thumbsup: And P.S. I tried to post this twice yesterday and the laptop kept crashing. Finally got it in today.Maybe you shouldn't have cut a hole in the middle of it.

thebigjimsho
02-19-06, 09:10 PM
Let me save you the trouble of a trip to the dealer. Your ticket will read "unable to duplicate" and you'll be sent on your merry way. Wait until the condition is present or premanent. You can ask the tech to log the incident for you in your file. This might help you down the road.This is probably true. That's why I have let my battery get weaker and weaker until this morning, after being idle for only 8 hours after a bit of driving, had to be jumped again. Now, I can take it to the dealer for this and a couple of small issues and they can't test the battery as good when they have to jump it just to move it around the lot.

GAGS-V
02-19-06, 10:28 PM
Hey ILoveMyV: Did you make the meet? There were twelve of us there and I don't believe I got to meet you. What time did you get there? Did you race while there?

heavymetals
02-20-06, 04:37 AM
Hey ILoveMyV: Did you make the meet? There were twelve of us there and I don't believe I got to meet you. What time did you get there? Did you race while there?

He was there.

Got a wiff of a weird odor emanating from under the hood of his car so he aint kidding.

Guy had a great sense of humor about his car given all the problems.

Was almost gonna let him drive my V.
He declined but wanted to take a ride.

WHOO HOOO :thumbsup:

The best bit of advice I could give him was not to modify anything until he gets his car sorted out.

Delayed entry into MOD HELL

akm2k5
02-20-06, 04:55 AM

lol!