: Please Help with V decision!

fig32
02-18-06, 08:42 AM
Hey Guys!
I can really use your help. I am a long time lurker and have not posted before. I own a great daily driver and an 04 Vette convertible. I love my vette and hate to give it up but I am seriously thinking about going down to 1 car. I will put snow tires on the V for the winter here in New Jersey. Heck, I have snow tires on my front wheel drive Acura! I have considered a bunch of cars and really like the V. Here are my questions!

1) I have found a V here in NJ that is Stealth Grey VIN #1G6DN56S050130976 and has a spoiler added. Did anyone here trade that car in?
2) I know several members have moved from a vette to V and don't regret it. Do you find the handling of the V to be good enough?
3) I am very concerned about modding the V with all the rear diff issues on this board. It seems like almost everyone has a rear diff issue. Is this just a misconception?
4) I will take it to the 1/4 mile once or twice a year with a buddy who runs a modded GTO. Will AAA really be necessary?
5) When I have the time I would love to get on a road course. It seems like some of you do that. Do you have an extra set of wheels and tires for the track and if so which ones?
6) I have 2 small children and need a car seat in the back. I notice the V does not have rear AC vents. Does it get very hot back there for the kids or passengers? My DD hase the vents and the kids love them.
7) How do I find out if the rear diff in the car I am looking at has been replaced?
8) What else should I look for when checking out the car? I mean V specific issues.

Thanks a bunch and any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Mark

Lindsay Cadillac
02-18-06, 08:46 AM
I can answer #7; No

CLAIM HISTORY
R.O Date R.O Number Type Labor Operation Odometer Reading
04/18/2005 445142 # N0110 - BATTERY - ONE - REPLACE 461 miles
08/30/2004 A30976 I Z7000 - PRE-DELIVERY INSPECTION - BASE TIME 0 miles

fig32
02-18-06, 08:51 AM
Wow! Thanks that was fast! One question down and a few more to go.

Mark

dqw1
02-18-06, 09:01 AM
3. Not everyone has rear diff issues but it's seems running 1/4 miles from a dead stop is a sure way to experience it.
Kids should be ok in the back seat. I never had complaint from passengers about the AC. The vents aren't visible in the back. As a matter of fact, the AC works very well.

rand49er
02-18-06, 09:03 AM
1) I have found a V here in NJ that is Stealth Grey VIN #1G6DN56S050130976 and has a spoiler added. Did anyone here trade that car in?
2) I know several members have moved from a vette to V and don't regret it. Do you find the handling of the V to be good enough?
3) I am very concerned about modding the V with all the rear diff issues on this board. It seems like almost everyone has a rear diff issue. Is this just a misconception?
4) I will take it to the 1/4 mile once or twice a year with a buddy who runs a modded GTO. Will AAA really be necessary?
5) When I have the time I would love to get on a road course. It seems like some of you do that. Do you have an extra set of wheels and tires for the track and if so which ones?
6) I have 2 small children and need a car seat in the back. I notice the V does not have rear AC vents. Does it get very hot back there for the kids or passengers? My DD hase the vents and the kids love them.
7) How do I find out if the rear diff in the car I am looking at has been replaced?
8) What else should I look for when checking out the car? I mean V specific issues.

Mark

6) I have a 3-year-old son that sits in the car seat positioned in the middle of the rear seat. We have no problem getting it cool enough in a reasonably short period of time. (And, yeah, I know, I'm in Michigan, but it does get very hot and muggy at times in the summer here. :thepan: )

Other than that, I think there're more knowledgeable people here on the forum than I on the other issues you have listed. Good luck!!! :highfive:

BTW, GREAT color !!!!!!!!! :stirpot:

homer403
02-18-06, 10:04 AM
Hey Guys!

Mark

I can add my 2 cents for # 2 and #5 - I had a C5, Mercedes AMG, and now the V. I can say that based on my expereince on the track (in my case, Virginia International Raceway - VIR), the V was the most fun and easiest to drive. It does get wiggly back there (all that mass we carry) which is why I started the Hotchkis sway bars group buy. Hopefully, that will fix it (as others have claimed a night and day difference). The C5 felt long and big on the road course. I had diffculty on a 180 degree turn (near the big oak tree at VIR) on the vette but no problems on the V. As for tires, I ran stock F1's everytime and they rocked, but it's expensive - they will be trashed after 2 track events. The last time I ran at VIR, the tries were so bald, I thought I was running on slicks (but very sticky).

Again... the V is the most fun on the track :thumbsup:

GAGS-V
02-18-06, 12:47 PM
Great car! Go for it. 12,000 miles here, no diff. problem and no one unhappy in the back seat:) It can get hot back there but the a/c will fix that (or a cold shower). Get ready to put a few (or a lot) mods on. Welcome to the forum.

roadracerx72
02-18-06, 12:55 PM
I can answer #1 and help with #6.

#1) No. I still have my spoiler equipped stealth gray V. :bouncy:

#6) No problems with the lack of vents in the rear. I have a 7 year old daughter that won't hesitate to tell you she is uncomfortable. :want:

Rock

heavymetals
02-18-06, 01:37 PM
I can ansewer the one about the Vette.

The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have both.:thumbsup:

If your gonna drag race the V your gonna break it. :stirpot:

thebigjimsho
02-18-06, 02:03 PM
Hey Guys!
I can really use your help. I am a long time lurker and have not posted before. I own a great daily driver and an 04 Vette convertible. I love my vette and hate to give it up but I am seriously thinking about going down to 1 car. I will put snow tires on the V for the winter here in New Jersey. Heck, I have snow tires on my front wheel drive Acura! I have considered a bunch of cars and really like the V. Here are my questions!

Mark3) I don't think modding the V is going to prolong or speed up the diff life.

4) AAA is always necessary. Saved me.

5) I have extra wheels and Hoosier slicks but the F1s are about the closest you'll get to that in a street tire. The Falkens are much cheaper.

6) A day going through the California desert and no complaining by any backseat passenger.

50 4Ever
02-18-06, 02:41 PM
I can ansewer the one about the Vette.

The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have both.:thumbsup:

If your gonna drag race the V your gonna break it. :stirpot:

I agree with what Heavymetals had to say, if you drag it you'll eventually break something. Run it on the road course with no problem. I have an 03 AE Vert that I run on the road course, and I might run the V on the road course a time or two. Some differences you will notice; the V is geared noticeable lower even though the transmission ratios are the same sa a Z06 the rear is a 3.73 so acceleration is better than the Vert. The steering responsiveness is about the same, braking is better, body roll is quite pronounced compared to the Vert.

Some people complain about the F1 Supercars, which I think is BS. Sure they cannot handle standing water but I've raced my Vert in the rain at Infineon and beat guys with "rain" tires, but the F1 Supercars I was running at the time were the OEM Z06 tires (non runflat version.

I love driving the V, you almost forget you're driving a family sedan.

Oh yeh, the gas mileage is quite a bit lower than the Vert (I average 12.5 around town and the real low 20's on the highway).

:thumbsup:

SoCadillac
02-18-06, 02:49 PM
6) I have 2 small children and need a car seat in the back. I notice the V does not have rear AC vents. Does it get very hot back there for the kids or passengers? My DD has the vents and the kids love them.

It does not have console vents, but it does have vaned floor runners under the front seats that deliver HVAC to the rear seats. We have a black interior, and on the occasions where we have transported children, they have done well with temperatures.

fig32
02-18-06, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the replies guys:thumbsup: I really appreciate them. I currently have 2 cars a nice sporty 4 door with 6spd and a convertible vette. My problem is work is currently getting in the way of fun. I have a new business that is taking way too much of my time. I just don't have the time to drive both cars and hate seeing the vette getting neglected. I want to get a car that is fun, fast and somewhat practical. In a year or two my business should be running smoothly and not require so much attention. I will order a new Z06 as a reward to myself. I believe in delayed gratification, but want to have some fun along the way.

It would be cool if my toy car had back seats. This way the family can come along. I think my two girls would mind riding in the trunk of the vette:lildevil: The thought of being vetteless for a while is excrutiating! I am hoping the V will be enough fun, so I won't miss it so much.

Mark

heavymetals
02-19-06, 12:59 AM
For the typical V owner instant gratification isn't fast enough. :thepan: