Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Carbon Fiber wrap for Interior

19K views 79 replies 16 participants last post by  JTS97Z28 
#1 ·
Has anyone wrapped the interior with Carbon Fiber wrap. I'm thinking about doing the trim pieces only. The ones you have to pay $$$ to swap out as an accessory. Curious if anyone has tried this yet and if they have pictures. Also if so, what was the method? Did you take the trim pieces off first to apply the wrap or just left the pieces in place while applying the wrap? Lastly, what wrap did you use?

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I want to figure out how to remove the trim pieces safely without breaking any tabs or clips. I just ordered some wrap from Amazon. I went with the 3M di-noc carbon fiber vinyl.

So a second question is now, can I ise my wife's blow dryer or do I need to get a heat gun?

#6 ·
Heat gun with temp settings works best (use low). Blow dryers blow a lot more air, while a heat gun is more heat than air so it isn't blowing the vinyl around. I'm sure harbor freight sells one for cheap, or spend $20 at Home Depot.

I would also be curious to hear how easy or hard it is to remove the trim pieces in an ats.

#5 ·
blow dryer will work just fine! I used a heat gun but I have also used the hair dryer option and works almost as good.

as for the trim pieces I took a few of mine in and out just to see how easy/difficult it was and I was surprised how easy it was.....I used a plastic window tinting tool(kinda like a squeegee) and was able to pop them in and out no problem

#7 ·
Thanks, I have the trim tool kit. Where part of the trim pieces should I pull first?

Heat gun with temp settings works best (use low). Blow dryers blow a lot more air, while a heat gun is more heat than air so it isn't blowing the vinyl around. I'm sure harbor freight sells one for cheap, or spend $20 at Home Depot.

I would also be curious to hear how easy or hard it is to remove the trim pieces in an ats.
Thanks for the heads up on harbor freight, I went over there and got a cheap one for $15. I have never heard of them before...

My wrap is being delivered tomorrow and I hope to have the pieces done this weekend. I am just not sure yet how I will remove those trim pieces. I hear you can easily break the clips so I want to make sure I do it right.

#9 ·
Still waiting on the delivery of the wrap... I purchased off of Amazon and thought it was coming 2-day like almost everything else does from them with Prime. However, this wasn't Prime eligible. Still waiting and estimated delivery is not the 18th. :-/

#11 ·
Still waiting on the wraps, they were suppose to be delivered by the 18th. I purchased through Amazon from a seller named IKON Wraps... I just sent them an email as tracking info shows that USPS has yet to pick up the package. WTF!?!?! Definitely not a happy consumer right now.

#12 ·
Mine arrives a week from today. I ordered the 3m 1080 Carbon Wrap from Metro Restyling on Amazon. When I lived in Michigan they were local to me so I chose them for a seller. I've used Dinoc on two cars before and it's a bit challenging to work with. I've heard the 1080 is much easier to work with and looks good so I went that route. I'm hoping I can remove the trim pieces without having to pull panels off, because it will make the wrap so much easier.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I got bored last night so I decided to take off one of the trim pieces to see how it was. Here are how the backs look like. It was pretty easy. I started on the "narrower" side where the handle is and used the trim piece removal tool to pry them out right by the clips.

If you see in the middle, there is a hook sticking out the back, you need to make sure when you are pulling it out that you are conscious that you are pulling out the piece in the direction that will avoid getting that hook stuck. When you are re-installing it you will want to do the same.

Attachments

#14 ·
I got bored last night so I decided to take off one of the trim pieces to see how it was. Here are how the backs look like. It was pretty easy. I started on the "narrower" side where the handle is and used the trim piece removal tool to pry them out right by the clips.

View attachment 284801

If you see in the middle, there is a hook sticking out the back, you need to make sure when you are pulling it out that you are conscious that you are pulling out the piece in the direction that will avoid getting that hook stuck. When you are re-installing it you will want to do the same.

View attachment 284809
You are awesome, thanks! I used a trim removal tool on the trim piece on the drive side door. I was starting to pull the thin piece on the opposite side of the door handle and the very end chipped the fake wood coating chipped slightly so I stopped. When my vinyl comes in, I will try again on the opposite end.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I ended up wrapping all the wood trim tonight. It took about 4 hours total which is about what I planned. All the trim came off pretty easily with plastic trim removal tools. One tip. The trim to the left of the steering wheel. It is held in by one clip and two hooks. Only pry on the right side of the trim or you will break the hooks. I broke one of them, but was able to repair it with plastic weld.

The 1080 vinyl is so much better than Dinoc. Not just in appearance, but also in installation. It was much easier to work with, and I think it looks better. I have both in my garage and was able to compare side by side. The 1080 is a little more glossy and darker in color.

Here are some quick photos.

Attachments

#19 ·
Same color combo as my car. I want to do this come spring. LookS good man. The grey in the interior looks like it's white. I know it's grey but now I like the looks of white interior in this car. Just the grey being white anyway. You could never keep that clean as a DD.
I ended up wrapping all the wood trim tonight. It took about 4 hours total which is about what I planned. All the trim came off pretty easily with plastic trim removal tools. One tip. The trim to the left of the steering wheel. It is held in by one clip and two hooks. Only pry on the right side of the trim or you will break the hooks. I broke one of them, but was able to repair it with plastic weld.

The 1080 vinyl is so much better than Dinoc. Not just in appearance, but also in installation. It was much easier to work with, and I think it looks better. I have both in my garage and was able to compare side by side. The 1080 is a little more glossy and darker in color.

Here are some quick photos.

#24 ·
No problem. Let me know if you have any questions while the install is fresh in my mind. The 1080 is a great product and installs easily with a little heat. Here's a couple tips that helped me.

Make sure all the weave is running the same direction on each piece when you install.

Order the 60"x24". That's enough for all the trim pieces and extra in case you mess up.

I removed one trim piece at a time, installed the wrap, and then installed in the car. Then went to the next one.

This stuff scratches easily. I laid mine out on the floor and put the trim piece smooth side down on the weave. Do not lay the weave face down on the floor or you can scratch it. Do not lay tools or anything on it. I had to scrap a good size piece because I scuffed mine. Dinoc scratches easily too so it's not just the 1080.

I used an olfa knife to cut the vinyl and bought a pack of extra blades. One blade will last a long time though. This whole install only took one blade and it's still razor sharp. If the tip dulls just snap the end off.

#26 ·
Were the dash trim pieces pry off. In the instructions it appears that they are bolt on.
They pry off, but make sure you use plastic pry tools (bought mine from amazon). I broke one tab but can't remember which piece it was so I would recommend some plastic weld just in case. I know it was on the dash or close to the dash. Just go slowly and they will come right off. The good news is if you ruin anything they are readily available on ebay for not a lot of money. I am considering buying an extra set and skinning them with real carbon fiber. I do like the vinyl still though.

#31 ·
I live in the california desert area and havent had that happen yet. temps around 100 here too. Only few things I did that may have helped was to leave plenty extra on the backside and dont be afraid to stretch it a bit around the edges..use the heat gun to pre stretch it. This way when it gets hot via sun, it wont get stretched much further and get loose. Be careful, I found there is a fine line between stretch and making the lines on the fiber look bad. The clips seemed strong and seemed to cinch down tighter with the extra bit behind there.
The second thing, clean the panel really with isopropyl alcohol before install as it will reduce the likelyhood of bubbling/releasing. Try not to pull it off and on again too much during install, I feel like it loses its gripping power(personal opinion). Be sure your work area is free of dust that can hinder the binding.

got a pic of the problem?

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but this is a good one with great info so no sense in making another. So I have always wanted to switch to the carbon fiber trim, but just couldn't justify spending that amount of money for the OEM stuff. So after seeing how good these wraps look and since I have experience doing some wraps I thought this was a great alternative. The only issue I may run into is this, and I'm looking for your opinions. So my 2016 ATS has the upgraded kona interior which has what I think to be real wood open pore trim. So first off I do not want to ruin this trim, but at the same time I didn't really want to buy a used set on ebay. I will look to see if there are any complete used sets on ebay from a base model that I can apply the wrap to.

Do you guys think this wrap will work on my trim? I know you usually want to clean the surface really well, but I would be kind of nervous cleaning this real wood trim with alcohol. The last thing I'm slightly worried about is removal down the road and any sort of residue left on it.

Let me know what you guys think about wrapping this particular type of OEM trim and if i'll have any issues. I ended up purchasing two types of wrap as I was unsure which I would like more, but both are harder highly rated. I went with the VVivid XPO high gloss, and the 3M 1080 that you guys recommended above which looks great. When they both arrive I'll decide which I want to use. I bought a 1x5 roll of each.

Thanks

Here are pics of my trim.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
JTS,
I consider your car to be one of the finest looking and cared for on this site, so I have to give you my honest opinion on this...don't do it. I had considered wrapping the factory aluminum trim in my coupe with CF but after looking at numerous options and installations on various vehicles, I knew I wouldn't be happy with it in the long run. I'm very particular about what I do to my cars and the materials I use. I ended up going with the factory pieces for the ATS-V and could not be happier. They are pricey, I think ordering them through GM Parts Direct it came to a little over $550 but it completely changes the look and feel of the interior.

There is a guy on ebay who has the three dash pieces from a V sedan that is being parted out at decent prices.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Attachments

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
JTS,
I consider your car to be one of the finest looking and cared for on this site, so I have to give you my honest opinion on this...don't do it. I had considered wrapping the factory aluminum trim in my coupe with CF but after looking at numerous options and installations on various vehicles, I knew I wouldn't be happy with it in the long run. I'm very particular about what I do to my cars and the materials I use. I ended up going with the factory pieces for the ATS-V and could not be happier. They are pricey, I think ordering them through GM Parts Direct it came to a little over $550 but it completely changes the look and feel of the interior.

There is a guy on ebay who has the three dash pieces from a V sedan that is being parted out at decent prices.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Yeah I completely agree with you and trust me I keep thinking about the stock pieces, but I have a sedan so it’s gonna be even more expensive, and that eBay seller now only has like two pieces available. Btw thanks for compliments I appreciate it.

I already purchased the carbon fiber vinyl, but I guess it was pretty cheap so no big deal if I decide to not use it.

And one last thing, I’m not sure what experience you have with wraps, but they are actually very good when installed correctly. In some cases it can look every bit is good as OEM parts. Take a look at the pictures posted from the other guys here that did it. I did my window trim myself using shadowline trim film and it looks 100% oem. Very happy with the results so I think I’m willing to give this a shot.

#37 ·
You shouldn't really fuss to much about trying it. I have wrapped many things on my vsport and have had no problems. Many other cars as well. Your inside trim should have a pretty good coating on the wood so it's not going to hurt it. I have also just cleaned with Windex and use a heat gun and all is well. But I preffer using alcohol. Just don't heat those pieces up to much. You don't like it pull it off. Its not going to hurt anything. The wrap today will remove with a little residue that will wipe right off. I love the stuff because i can go back to stock when i want. The dealer even saw my car in service and said they loved it. The last time in there they said they did all the outside trim on a cts and it sold fast. I never had any problems except on poorly painted surfaces. It could pull paint off if paint is to think and bad prepped.

#38 ·
^^^ thanks. I ended up doing a test piece using a small piece of film from my window trim. Like you said I just wiped it with a little windex and so far the film attached very nicely. It also pulls off with no issues even though it seemed to be attached good. I’ll give it a go, and like you said worst thing that can happen is I simply pull it all off or don’t do it at all. I also ordered a $3.85 panel removal tool kit from eBay. I will have to be extra careful removing these pieces because it’s been very cold outside and I know how plastic interior parts get when cold....brittle. My car is parked in my garage which is well insulated, but when it’s 1 degree out the temp still drops into the 30s in my garage. I’ll wrap the pieces in the warm house though.

#41 ·
I'm with Pez, that Kona interior is gorgeous. If you do want the CF look, I would do as you initially suggested and find some used trim pieces to wrap so you can save the Kona wood. I've never used any of these wraps myself, but I'd be worried about long-term effects; it might come off easily when you do a quick test, but what about when it's been in place for a year or two or five, been baked by the sun, etc?
All great points and opinions taken. I agree, the wood looks incredibly good with this interior. The main reason I wanted to try something else is because I kind of went with the sportier look on the outside and thought the CF look on the inside would compliment that. Other reason being is I have seen a few other vehicles that have brown seats with CF and IMO it looked amazing.
The good thing is I didn’t spend a lot at all on the films so if I don’t end up doing it, or peel it off after a week no big deal.

#40 ·
I'm with Pez, that Kona interior is gorgeous. If you do want the CF look, I would do as you initially suggested and find some used trim pieces to wrap so you can save the Kona wood. I've never used any of these wraps myself, but I'd be worried about long-term effects; it might come off easily when you do a quick test, but what about when it's been in place for a year or two or five, been baked by the sun, etc?

#42 · (Edited)
Lot of people are non believers of wrap. I basically was also until I tried it. It has no effects on what's underneath. It's going to protect the wood if anything. You pull on it and it comes right off with no effort. You do it and want to go back to stock then quick and easy. I've seen it on whole cars over a year and it protected the paint. The older wrap i cant vouch for but the new stuff is good. But tell you the truth I would probably stay with the wood and kona. But I might see what the carbon looks like also.

But like others say to each their own on what you do. We are all different and some people like what you do and others don't. I just do what I like not what someone else likes. At the end of the day it's our own car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.