: Quick clay bar question

Davidstan
02-17-06, 08:00 PM
Never done this before so i was wondering if before applying the bar can you lubricate with just water instead of the Zaino Z7 lubricant?

benjet
02-17-06, 08:03 PM
Soapy (slippery) water (car wash or if you must dish soap), works fine.

Got5onit
02-17-06, 08:10 PM
Use about cap of car wash and water in a spray bottle. It will work just as well.

Davidstan
02-17-06, 08:27 PM
Thx for the help!

ochaole
02-17-06, 09:39 PM
i just clayed/polished my car yesterday with zaino for the first time and im very pleased with the results....the after polish spray is awesome,,,really makes the car look wet.....enjoy yourself its a long process

ochaole
02-17-06, 09:39 PM
i just clayed/polished my car yesterday with zaino for the first time and im very pleased with the results....the after polish spray is awesome,,,really makes the car look wet.....enjoy yourself its a long process

rand49er
02-17-06, 10:01 PM
i just clayed/polished my car yesterday with zaino for the first time and im very pleased with the results....the after polish spray is awesome,,,really makes the car look wet.....enjoy yourself its a long processZaino says multiple applications, but this is ridiculous!:histeric:

j/k

V-Max
02-17-06, 10:22 PM
Is the clay bar the layman's version of a buffer and rubbing compound? I know the professionals don't waste the time or money on the product. What do they make off a piece of synthetic clay and a bottle of soapy water? Got to be making a hefty profit when the packageing cost more than the product. Hope the stuff at least smells good or maybe your better half enjoys watching you work over your clear coat. :)

Just us 3M Perfect ll and a random-orbital buffer and you'll be finished in a fraction of the time with a 9" wheel instead of a 2" bar.

Norm

wildwhl
02-17-06, 11:19 PM
V-Max -

Tell us more. I can't bring myself to clay bar the V, as much as it needs it, and I own plenty of power versions to do it - just haven't invested in the correct compounds yet.

Speak the truth of your hi-gloss kung-fu please Norm.

:bouncy:

digital
02-18-06, 01:53 AM
Is the clay bar the layman's version of a buffer and rubbing compound? I know the professionals don't waste the time or money on the product. What do they make off a piece of synthetic clay and a bottle of soapy water? Got to be making a hefty profit when the packageing cost more than the product. Hope the stuff at least smells good or maybe your better half enjoys watching you work over your clear coat. :)

Just us 3M Perfect ll and a random-orbital buffer and you'll be finished in a fraction of the time with a 9" wheel instead of a 2" bar.

Norm

no...

a clay bar removes impurities from your paint surface. itll pick up dirt that a normal car wash wont take off.

a clay bar is not a polish/cleaner/rubbing compound.

V Amazed
02-18-06, 04:22 AM
no...

a clay bar removes impurities from your paint surface. itll pick up dirt that a normal car wash wont take off.

a clay bar is not a polish/cleaner/rubbing compound.

bingo. A clay bar will pull all the contaminants out of the clear coat to start a fresh coat of polish/wax. If you wax/polish before claying, you will be sealing OVER dirt that has bonded into your clear coat. Take the extra hour for a clay bar, it is worth it. Honestly. I show detailed my Tahoe last year and it took 3 days 8 hours per day. It would have taken twice as long if I hadn't clayed it first. Claying is a must. ESPECIALLY if you have a black car. Just be careful for you guys with the slower color that you keep the car SUPER lubed. I like to start out with Dawn soap wash and use that as my lubricant. Because its a dishwashing soap, it pulls off old polishes/waxes to let you start with a clean slate

Ben

V-Max
02-18-06, 12:03 PM
wildwhl, 3M Perfect-It ll Rubbing Compound(#051131-05973). With a random-orbital buffer I used about 25% of the bottle on four different cars.

I use a handful of terry cloth bonnets and rotate through as they dirty. Should take no more than an hour for a full car.

Norm

thebigjimsho
02-18-06, 12:41 PM
wild, rubbing compound does not do what a clay bar does. I've always detailed my cars by hand and I can tell you that you will not believe the difference a clay bar makes. Your V will get to a new level of clean and will have the best slate possible to allow polishing and waxing to its job.

Rubbing compound is good to smooth a finish because swirls and scratches can have sharp edges at the minutest levels. But the compound only smooths what's there. Using a clay bar first will keep the smallest contaminants from joining the ride.

And why do detailers not clay bar? Because there is no accountability for a one time detail. But if you want the V or any other vehicle to be pristine throughout its life, claying is a must. And it takes much less time to do than a coat of polish or wax. 30 minutes, maybe.

V-Max
02-18-06, 01:15 PM
bigjim must have arms like my Mom's thighs. :)

Norm

thebigjimsho
02-18-06, 01:27 PM
If it helps my internet bravado...sure!!

ntechnic
02-18-06, 09:50 PM
It was high-end detailers back in the 80's that discovered and used clay bars--it was the secret to mirror slick finishes that ordinary people couldn't get.

Nothing will clean your paint as thoroughly and harmlessly as a clay bar. The first time you clay bar your car, you'll think it's a miracle.

ctsvett
02-18-06, 10:05 PM
It was high-end detailers back in the 80's that discovered and used clay bars--it was the secret to mirror slick finishes that ordinary people couldn't get.

Nothing will clean your paint as thoroughly and harmlessly as a clay bar. The first time you clay bar your car, you'll think it's a miracle.

Hallelujah brother... Amen... It is a miracle, which is why I use it every chance I get (and I live in LA with LOTS of fallout- and park on the tarmac of a major airport basically)

I always use claybar and you will see a difference...

Try this: take a towel (clean) and put it on your clean car's hood... Try to slide it down and off the car. Clay bar the entire hood and then do the same thing. After the clay bar, the towel will shoot off the car and fall off after you let go of it. Before you clay bar it will stop (friction). You can even feel this with your hand if you clay bar a SMALL part of the car and run your hand over the clay'ed portion onto the unclay'ed portion. (I feel like one of those guys at the car show in the back isle, but it IS true!)

Reed

Gordy Petrovski
02-18-06, 10:06 PM
1.Wash car (dish soap) 2.Clay bar & dish soap 3.Wash car again 4.Dry car (Micro fiber only) 5.Seal paint (auto paint sealer) 6.Any good carnuba wax after that go grab a cold one & enjoy :thumbsup: