: Stripped Spark Plug hole on car.....

trekster
02-17-06, 12:19 AM
I was checking out my sparkplugs today and one of the spark plugs was loose. So I started to tighten the spark plug and it wouldn't budge. I removed the spark plug it was stripped put a new one in. The hole where the spark plug goes is stripped.
I was wondering what is the solution to my problem.

V-Sting
02-17-06, 12:40 AM
There's a solution for this, involving some skill installing a heli-coil threaded insert.
If you've never done this, I recommend getting some help, as this can be quite tricky for spark plug threads.

trekster
02-17-06, 12:43 AM
There's a solution for this, involving some skill installing a heli-coil threaded insert.
If you've never done this, I recommend getting some help, as this can be quite tricky for spark plug threads.If i do this would I need a bigger spark plug because of this? Also, what size heil-coil would I need?

V-Sting
02-17-06, 12:52 AM
No, not a bigger spark plug. The insert replaces the existing threaded hole with another of the same size. The insert itself DOES require you cut new threads in the head, larger, but the factory plug will be used.

Not sure which heli-coil. Good parts counter man could tell you though.

10secvette
02-17-06, 02:11 AM
I'm not about to go look under the hood, but I think the head is going to have to come off. SInce you have one off, you might as well pull the other. While both heads are off, it's a perfect time to install a nice subtle cam and upgrade your heads. :thumbsup:

trekster
02-17-06, 02:32 AM
I'm not about to go look under the hood, but I think the head is going to have to come off. SInce you have one off, you might as well pull the other. While both heads are off, it's a perfect time to install a nice subtle cam and upgrade your heads. :thumbsup:I was talking to my cousin who is a pretty decent mechanic. He told me the same thing about the head might have to be removed. I might have to call A@A Corvette tomorrow. Does anyone know if they have released their head and cam package yet for the V?

wildwhl
02-17-06, 02:33 AM
I've done the heli-coil thing before. I really don't think there is enough room to do it without pulling the head(s).

How do you suppose the threads were stripped in the first place?

WW

trekster
02-17-06, 02:35 AM
I've done the heli-coil thing before. I really don't think there is enough room to do it without pulling the head(s).

How do you suppose the threads were stripped in the first place?

WWMost likely installing the spark plug the wrong way.

wildwhl
02-17-06, 02:52 AM
Black Beast -

I deserve that. I guess I should have asked the question as follows:

Did you or somebody else strip the plug hole out? In otherwords, do you have any recourse?

WW

trekster
02-17-06, 03:00 AM
Black Beast -

I deserve that. I guess I should have asked the question as follows:

Did you or somebody else strip the plug hole out? In otherwords, do you have any recourse?

WW Somebody else stripped it. The individual doesn't know he stripped it.

wildwhl
02-17-06, 03:03 AM
Any chance that "individual" will make it right?

bryce3
02-17-06, 05:29 AM
Black Beast,
You shouldn't "1/2 Arse" trying to repair your heads. Do it right, remove it and then replace or fix it once off. You don't want to take any chances getting some metal flakes floating around in the engine.
-Sean

NH Vrod
02-17-06, 09:10 AM
Black Beast;
I have done many heli coils on aluminum motorcycle heads. If you do not drill and tap the hole perfectly square, the heli coil will not have full surface contact and/or may not thread in properly, you may blow it out!!
I recommend bringing the head to a machine shop and have them do it!!

Scott

rand49er
02-17-06, 09:30 AM
I recommend bringing the head to a machine shop and have them do it!! :yeah:

Texan V
02-17-06, 10:01 AM
Have to agree with the others about removing the head and having it professionaly repaired. Had this happen a couple times on my Lightning...not fun.

trekster
02-17-06, 11:04 AM
Black Beast;
I have done many heli coils on aluminum motorcycle heads. If you do not drill and tap the hole perfectly square, the heli coil will not have full surface contact and/or may not thread in properly, you may blow it out!!
I recommend bringing the head to a machine shop and have them do it!!

Scott
How much am I looking to spend just to have the head removed and repaired?

Dennisscars
02-17-06, 11:21 AM
Bad New$ on an aluminum head.. bummer. :banghead:

NH Vrod
02-17-06, 11:41 AM
You can buy a heli coil kit for small money, 20 to 40 dollars, and the right machine shop will only have a couple hour of labor to install, the real money will be the removal and install of the head. I do all my own work so do not really know what you would be charged to do the work, I am sure there are some guys here that could give you a better idea.

If this makes you feel better, heli coils (when done right) are as good as or better then the aluminum threads that are in there now!

Good Luck.

10secvette
02-17-06, 11:51 AM
I was talking to my cousin who is a pretty decent mechanic. He told me the same thing about the head might have to be removed. I might have to call A@A Corvette tomorrow. Does anyone know if they have released their head and cam package yet for the V?

It's coming.............http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/65154-heads-mild-smog-friendly-cam-lts.html

trekster
02-17-06, 12:13 PM
It's coming.............http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/65154-heads-mild-smog-friendly-cam-lts.html
sweet!
I won't be needing lt's though....since I have them installed. I guess I will buy the package without the lt's and have the guys over at a@a to install them.
I've been hearing that if you install the head and cam package....that the maggie won't really be necassary because I heard the maggie runs out of steam at the top end. Great for mid-range...ok for high end.

Mat347
02-17-06, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know if they have released their head and cam package yet for the V?

AFR heads are hard to beat! Slap an MTI Stealth cam and you'd have a sweet combo.

In this case labor is what is going to get ya. I would do the work myself, it's really not that hard, just some time and grunt work. I'd take the advice above and go to a machine shop, they are used to getting tolerances within the tenths, trust me, I used to work at one. I'd also get a nice port/valve job while I was there, slap some good springs while they were torn down. Or just go with the AFRs!!

10secvette
02-17-06, 02:41 PM
AFR heads are hard to beat! Slap an MTI Stealth cam and you'd have a sweet combo.

In this case labor is what is going to get ya. I would do the work myself, it's really not that hard, just some time and grunt work. I'd take the advice above and go to a machine shop, they are used to getting tolerances within the tenths, trust me, I used to work at one. I'd also get a nice port/valve job while I was there, slap some good springs while they were torn down. Or just go with the AFRs!!

AFR's are great heads, can't deny that. But there are some alt. heads out there that perform just as well if not better for less $$.

DILLIGAF
02-17-06, 08:23 PM
Fix the head.My 97 ford has done this twice.I can't believe people think its a good idea to thread steel into aluminum.Just taking the plug out you risk pulling threads out of the head.If theres room do it on the car,do it on the car.A good mechanic will nock it out quick.Both times my trucks spark plugs stripped,it happened all by itself,they just blew out.100 bucks should fix it.

Closer_2001
02-19-06, 11:39 AM
Just a thought on the heads...

If you aren't wanting to spend big bucks... you might look into TX Speed's CNC OE 243 Ported Castings. They can be had for $900 / PAIR!!

These are brand new factory "243" Z06 Castings that come with LS2 Valves and Springs. I would swap your hollow stem LS6 valves and springs over and away you go. You could always fix the thread on the original heads and sell them on eBay for $500-700.