: Im done!

iNdy.j
02-16-06, 10:03 AM
I changed my fuel filter the other night. Did it correctly so it seemed. I had no leaks around the area I was working on even after I started the car. I even drove it around the block that night and no leaks. Im coming home from work the next day and smell gas. I get to my driveway, get out and look to see if the fuel line/intake nut was leaking, nope. But then I noticed gas dripping off the bottom of my engine block which made a nice little puddle, enough to watch it run down half of my driveway.

Obviously I broke the fuel line somehow during the fuel filter change or during my drive home because it was fine earlier in the day when I got to work. I checked again to be sure nothing was leaking. I doubt putting non-oxygenated gas into the car earlier that day had anything to do with it...I hope not anyways.

I bought the cady for $3500 and im pushing $2500 in just repairs 2 years later. Time to sell it. I have put way too much time and money in this car. I love it, but I cant afford to keep it anymore. Im having it looked at next week. I will have the problem fixed and the car will be ready to sell.

N0DIH
02-16-06, 10:13 AM
You can fix that line, likely it cracked at the end (common if over tightened) or it is the gasket that is missing or crushed.

The line (symptom leaking at the LINE, not the threads), just get (borrow) a double flare kit and fix. Make sure you install with 2 wrenches! Not 1. Use the 1in on the filter housing and 5/8" (to install, don't need line wrench) and tighten, don't tighten too tight.

There is a tiny gasket that clips on the end of the filter housing. Should come in rebuild kit or you can buy from parts store. Is it there? Symptom will be leaking down the filter housing threads.

Becareful not to strip the q-jet threads for the filter housing going in. Ensure filter is on right way too, the little one way check valve to the front of the car. This keeps the fuel line from emptying when the car is shut off.

Take the line off at the carb, inspect it carefully. Shouldn't be more than a $2 fix tops.

Some preach to use a threadsealant like teflon tape. I honestly haven't needed it, but they say use the teflon liquid not the tape, as the tape can get loose and get into the carb, where the liquid will not. Symptom, leaking down the line threads.

Don't lose heart!

iNdy.j
02-16-06, 10:47 AM
It's just that I get one thing fixed and another problem arises. I spend more time being frustrated than actually enjoying the car. My wife hates it now and wants to get rid of it. And this time im with her. I have cheap tools, a small garage with no space to really get to all of these things im having problems with. And quite frankly I just don't know how. And in the long run im probably doing more damage trying to fix it. I need a car that works and will give me another 100k or more until the next problem. Low maintenance is key!

N0DIH
02-16-06, 11:04 AM
Low Maint, that is why I picked up my 94 LT1 Fleetwood. I drive 30K+/yr. So I need reliable and long long lasting car. Of course the V4P towing package doesn't help the mileage catagory.... But it is fun!

iNdy.j
02-16-06, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't mind a newer cady myself. Something maybe 2-3 years old.

N0DIH
02-16-06, 11:53 AM
Cost and the reliability of the NorthStar (aka, headgaskets) has frightened me away from the 90's Cad's that aren't LT1 or 4.9L powered.

caddycruiser
02-16-06, 12:08 PM
Cost and the reliability of the NorthStar (aka, headgaskets) has frightened me away from the 90's Cad's that aren't LT1 or 4.9L powered.

Me too. There might be a few minor things in the future of my LT1 Fleetwood, but I have no desire to switch that for an oil burning, gasket blowing Northstar...strangely enough, I would take a later model Catera (after the time they fixed most all of the problems).

Well, that, or a CTS too...still love those things. But NONE of the FWD models and the Northstar, period.

davesdeville
02-16-06, 08:05 PM

The headgasket issue is precisely why the cost of buying these cars is LOW. Moot point, however, a 2-3 year old Caddy is not going to have any headgasket problems - bolt threads were redesigned and with that young of a car the owner has the chance to not miss any coolant changes...

N0DIH
02-16-06, 11:03 PM
What year did they redesign?

My concern is to keep a 90's N* alive is to baby it. I don't wanna baby my car! The gas pedal goes to the floor for a reason....