: Clear Bra......Information wanted

Dick's06Vee
02-16-06, 07:18 AM
Anyone have any clear bra experience? Who makes one? Who has one? Are you happy with it? Price?

Thanks for any info.

rand49er
02-16-06, 07:52 AM
3M makes 'em ... I have some generic brand that's just as good.

Cost depends on how many surfaces you want done and whether you want to attempt it yourself or have a professional do it. Mine was $850, but I had a BUNCH of surfaces covered and had a local outfit do it here northwest of the Detroit area.

If you're gonna keep your car (or just plain love it), it's a good thing.:rolleyes:

NH Vrod
02-16-06, 08:13 AM
I had mine put on by the dealer when I bought my V, it covers all of the front and the mirrors. They did a great job, it is guaranteed for life when installed on a new car, and I think for, 4 years on a used car, I paid $750. for it, I feel it is worth every penny.

Geno
02-16-06, 09:13 AM
I had mine done two years ago come May. An absolute must if you want a pristine front end one or two years down the line. I had mine done in Raleigh NC, about two hours drive from where I live. They did a fantastic job.

I had a rock hit one of my headlight lenses. :eek: The rock was pulverized evidenced by rock powder surrounding the point of impact. If I didn't have the headlight covered with the clear bra material, I'm sure I would of been looking at some sort of damage.

Their e-mail address is: trg@nvi.net

By the way, you could do it yourself but it's probably not a job for most because of the compound curves. Most do it your selfers will do their share of cussing and probably still botch the job.

Mikes V
02-16-06, 10:16 AM
There is a company called xpel that provides them to dealers. When I worked for Toyota we had a contract with them. Xpel trained all of us as far as installation goes, and it really wasn't all that bad. I can tell you that the mark up is insane!!!!

02-16-06, 11:03 AM
I have one and I think I will always have them in the future on any new cars. I successfully installed it myself (hood, fenders, headlights, bumper, foglights, and mirrors), but I had some experience from a former life working as an auto body guy. Many have tried and failed, though.

Unless you know what you are doing, and/or are willing to risk $200 or more on a kit that you may need to throw away, best to find a local pro.

DO NOT buy the cheap $20 kits off of ebay. You want 3M or other QUALITY material (Clearshield is another one, Xpel uses 3M I think), and 8-10 mils thick.

BadCad
02-16-06, 01:04 PM
I have one and installed it myself (bought it off eBay - not the cheap version but the 3M type.) Would definitely not recommend installing it yourself on the V; it is self-doable on the regular CTS though. (The V has too many cutouts and curves to deal with unless you have someone else to help you install.)
I definitely recommend it, it saved the front-end of my V several times from small rocks and chips that were flying off trucks on the freeways here. Best yet, you can't see it, no ugly black bra hanging from the front end of your car or the danger of paint clouding due to moisture being trapped under the bra. Had a Porsche once that required an expensive new paint job due to clouding when I left the bra on in the sun after it got wet.

dqw1
02-16-06, 02:20 PM
So am I to understand you can't remove it once it's installed?
Can anyone post a good close-up pic?
How do you care for it?
Think I might get this.

SoCadillac
02-16-06, 02:29 PM
Only purchase the 3M brand:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/

It is removal.

Also consider this kit, that is also done in 3M material. It is a six (6) piece kit: lights, washer triangle and driving lights:

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=10&year_no=2004&veh_id=790&item_group_id=2&veh_opt_choice_id=0

It too is removal later on. I use a vinyl protectant such as Lexol Vinylex on these surfaces:

http://www.lexol.com/

On a last note, all the above films apply like window tinting, so if you are facile in applying window tint, then you can tackle the film, if not let someone who knows how to it install the film. The thicker film for the lights can be done by you...just read the directions and take your time.

50 4Ever
02-16-06, 03:31 PM
So am I to understand you can't remove it once it's installed?
Can anyone post a good close-up pic?
How do you care for it?
Think I might get this.

It can be removed, but once removed it cannot be reused.

rand49er
02-16-06, 05:16 PM
Go to the 3M website. They'll send you a VHS tape (free!!!) showing how to install it. I've got one somewhere around here. And, yes, you could do it yourself; but, just like everything I do, when I do it the second time, I'm a whole lot better. The problem is that first time!!!:crying2:

Seattle CTS-V
02-16-06, 07:15 PM
I've got the 3M stuff as well. The headlight pieces are about 5mm thick!!

CVP33
02-16-06, 09:35 PM
I've seen Geno's and 6104696's and they are very hard to see when installed properly. Great peace of mind as you hear gravel bouncing off the front of your car.

I will suggest you have a professional do the install as I must confess the clear bra takes hours to install but can be removed in anger in about 30 seconds. :thumbsup:

livingthedream
02-16-06, 10:15 PM
Anyone know of a SOCAL dealer or professional that puts them on? I would love to have one. Had a clear bra on another vehicle and it was great!

:thumbsup: