: Hey V engineers check this out!

CVP33
02-15-06, 07:39 PM
OK, you're probably all sick of hearing about this SRT crap but I MUST share this with you. I just participated in an online chat with SRT engineers. REAL FREAKING SRT ENGINEERS. And here's the best part, they actually answer your questions with answers and not more questions! Now my question is apparently a popular one as 4 more owners asked "why does the SRT studder shifting from 1st to 2nd under WOT?" There is a TSB but it does not fix it. The engineers explained that they will be investigating this and getting back to us.

Now here's the take away. Why can't/won't GM do the same? Our one conference call (via the internet) was a joke. More veiled accusations and tip-toeing than real information being exchanged. One company wants to get better and service it's enthusiasts and one hides behind it's lawyers. And no that's not just my opinion, that's fact.

Mod's - Feel free to move this if needed but really this affects the V community more than any other section of the forum.

DILLIGAF
02-15-06, 07:48 PM
Thats cool!The GM num nuts are probably lurking in here trying to find new ways to dodge our issues instead of making them right with us.Effers!When will they learn how to treat this market?

ctsvett
02-15-06, 07:50 PM
NO need to remove this post.. it's relevant..

My understanding (and I did not participate in the initial call with GM) was that the format (online chat) was not very good due to a delay and the barrage of questions... Anyone who participated have a different opinion?

I think a voice conference call might me better for the next GM forum... Anyone planning that one?

Reed

CVP33
02-15-06, 07:56 PM
Actually there was no barage of questions as we each took turns asking questions and then waited for minutes for each answer. It honestly felt as if they were formulating their answers with the help of a lawyer. Each answer was guarded, incomplete and non-commital. I was there and it was embarrassing, not at all what I thought it would be or what I'd hoped it would be.

CVP33
02-15-06, 08:23 PM
Here's a link to this month's chat.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8419

That's right. They do these EVERY month!

lasstss
02-15-06, 08:42 PM
I spoke to a guy that has an inside Gm connection. They know the rear is trash. It was simply economics of the bean counters. This was not the diff that the car was prototyped with. !! However the 2007 V if it comes to light will have a different set up and it will not be enemic.

On the diff subject, there is yet another guy that is going to make an install transparent, differential (12 bolt). This center section is going to be a solid axle unit that bolts to a center pumpkin. This way the OEM set up can be replaced.
Target in the $2-3000 range. This is the same outfit that is working on the 4L-80E install with a stall converter.

Florian
02-15-06, 08:44 PM
CVP,

Its still Mopar.....that said, nice to see you have an attentive audience. My guess it that they will take your questions, formulate cohesive answers then their bosses will shitcan any fix due to tooling costs. Sounds a bit too familiar. Glad to see youre sticking around!
My .02

keeksv
02-15-06, 08:48 PM
apples to oranges (popular these days). my 2 cents.

Florian
02-15-06, 08:52 PM
I spoke to a guy that has an inside Gm connection. They know the rear is trash. It was simply economics of the bean counters. This was not the diff that the car was prototyped with. !! However the 2007 V if it comes to light will have a different set up and it will not be enemic.

On the diff subject, there is yet another guy that is going to make an install transparent, differential (12 bolt). This center section is going to be a solid axle unit that bolts to a center pumpkin. This way the OEM set up can be replaced.
Target in the $2-3000 range. This is the same outfit that is working on the 4L-80E install with a stall converter.

Marty,

Not to threadjack, but any Aussie news?

F

CVP33
02-15-06, 08:53 PM

Marty,

Glad to hear that the aftermarket is stepping in with an affordable fix. Of course I'm very interested in seeing what GM does for 2007/2008. Never say never. Afterall I said never to Chrysler and I'm back again.

CVP33
02-15-06, 08:56 PM
CVP,

Its still Mopar.....that said, nice to see you have an attentive audience. My guess it that they will take your questions, formulate cohesive answers then their bosses will shitcan any fix due to tooling costs. Sounds a bit too familiar. Glad to see youre sticking around!
My .02

I hope you're wrong but who knows at this point. The other chief complaint is the rotors grooving and the engineer's comment was "We have a solution for the grooving that you'll really like. We are finishing testing and should have a package available soon. Be patient, we want to make sure we kill the issue dead...."

Who knows but at least they're working on it and saying the right things.

lasstss
02-15-06, 08:59 PM
I hope you're wrong but who knows at this point. The other chief complaint is the rotors grooving and the engineer's comment was "We have a solution for the grooving that you'll really like. We are finishing testing and should have a package available soon. Be patient, we want to make sure we kill the issue dead...."

Who knows but at least they're working on it and saying the right things.

I wish all we had to worry about was rotors!:D

OldRoadDawg
02-15-06, 09:18 PM
I find that awesome that the SRT team is so responsive to the owners vs. Cadillac's indifference.

But, reading through some of their forum answers, I found one response to an owner who wanted to do some tweaking to his PCM particularly interesting.
The SRT team answered his question, but finished their response with this cautionary note:
All electronics in the future will include tell tale to know when anything in the car has been touched and stop warranty.

I'm sure Cadillac won't be far behind.

CVP33
02-15-06, 09:44 PM
I hate to break this to you but the PCM in the LS2 equipped V's already has this technology. ANY changes made to your PCM will leave evidence that may be used to void your warranty. The 2004/2005 CTS-V's with the LS6 DO NOT have this issue. The aftermarket of tuning is dead going forward.

To that end, Chrysler locks thier PCM's and will not share code. Not even with purpose driven tuners who will agree to having their warranties voided. GSM overcomes this by using a piggy back computer to compensate for their supercharger, etc. You can add exhaust, CAI and headers but the most you'll see on the Chryslers is about 30 more rwhp as no tuning is available.

Florian
02-15-06, 10:59 PM
Wow, that really stinks. I guess that puts us into different leagues now....gotta go to the GSMs and the Mallets if you want work done. No more low cost HP.

F

ahahnu
02-15-06, 11:12 PM
wow. I can believe they are doing this. I think it took them long enough to figure out to do that (pcm). Its nice to see some interaction between the company and the buyers. If they can't do anything its great marketing to do that. Even ford with their new ad campaign is trying to improve their image, of trying harder to understand you and make it better.

StealthV
02-15-06, 11:58 PM
The aftermarket of tuning is dead going forward.

LS2's can be tuned without big brother ever having a clue. :canttalk:

Closer_2001
02-16-06, 12:18 AM
I just participated in an online chat with SRT engineers. REAL FREAKING SRT ENGINEERS.
Why can't/won't GM do the same?

Let's not think Chrysler is the end all be all to building cars. Many things have transpired to help them rise to the occasion. Let's not forget they were almost dead and gone from 1980-1992 concerning performance cars (the Turbo Lebaron does not count). The German engineers and some decent styling saved the company. This was possible because so much of the dead weight was lost due to Bankruptcies, etc.

I participated in a chat with Dave Hill from Team Corvette in 2001. The answers were informative and thought provoking concering the Z06, C6 and beyond. Sounds like Chrysler is 5 years late on your con call.

GM needs to shed the Albatross and let a "Ghosn-like figure" lead. A team of executives by the likes of Lutz et al would round out the anti-establishment needed to make changes. The Ghosn figure would offer Dave Hill more $$ than God as a consultant to help GM mainstream offerings inherit the DNA he injected into team Corvette in the early '90s.

PostText: Read "All Corvette's are Red" to understand the absurdity of GM politics and how they prevent GM mainstream products from being market leaders.

Barak
02-16-06, 12:23 AM
I hate to break this to you but the PCM in the LS2 equipped V's already has this technology. ANY changes made to your PCM will leave evidence that may be used to void your warranty. The 2004/2005 CTS-V's with the LS6 DO NOT have this issue. The aftermarket of tuning is dead going forward.

The fact is all production cars as of MY05 had to have a Calibration Verification Number (CVN) for each emission related controller. The CVN is a checksum that is calculated according to the vehicles calibration. So any modification to the stock calibration will change the CVN regardless of make or model.

rodster111
02-16-06, 01:12 AM
lasstss - are you saying that somebody is actually working on making a 4L-80E automatic transmission that will swap into a CTS-V?

Can you share who it is?

I'm interested.