: I Have Chirping Under My Dash............

CTSV05
02-15-06, 07:27 PM
Anyone else have this? It seems more pronounced when the car is cold.

Sounds like a teeny tiny bird chirp, just in or under the steering column.

If so what was the fix.

Thanx for the help.

rgd
02-15-06, 11:06 PM
A CAT!
:histeric:

DrivingAmericanNow
02-15-06, 11:13 PM
I've got that too, but I don't have a fix yet. It bugs me so much I worry it's going to cause an accident. Sometimes I end up pushing on the steering column, then the dash, then the whatever......... (while driving) just trying to shut it up. Right now, I've got a folded up paper towel stuck between the steering column and the dash. It might help a little, but the noise is still there.

JOEYCTS-V
02-15-06, 11:13 PM
Does it only happen when you hit bumps?

DILLIGAF
02-15-06, 11:21 PM
I had a little chirping but it was coming from where the ashtray meets the console.If thats where its coming from just remove the cover piece and see where its rubbing together.Have somebody listen for the sound that has a neck.

ace996
02-16-06, 12:29 AM
I have had it since day one...over small bumps in the road, and more pronounced when it's cold...

pmsteinm
02-16-06, 02:25 AM
I have more of a ticking sound...seems to only happen around certain temps. I found if I push the clutch pedal and let it pop out (car is parked, engine off) I get the exact same sound at the same certain temps. The tick sounds like it's comming up and to the right of the accelerator. I push on various things while poping the clutch with my hand, but it still makes the sound. No idea what it is.

CTSV05
02-16-06, 10:01 AM
Well, having no neck....I'm out for that job....lmao!!!!

Hmmm seems a bit common then.

Ohhhh It drives me insane any little noise like that!!!!!!

Thanx, I'll check the ashtray...although it seems to be from the column area.....but then...sounds like that travel like a whining female 3 rooms away!!!!!

jspridge
02-16-06, 10:52 AM
Yo Doug - I think I've got the cure for that annoying sound. I tucked a thick strip of black felt (doubled up a slice of the thick felt that is used on furniture legs for sitting on wood flooring) between the ashtray bottom and the shifter console top, probably 2-3 inches back where it will never be seen. The felt puts a slight amount of upward pressure on the ashtray/climate/nav stack and the annoying sound is gone for good. I fixed mine about a year ago, after nearly driving off the road several times trying to find the source of the noise, and I've never heard it again.

CTSV05
02-16-06, 12:58 PM
Thanx J......me no wanna crash...lol

jspridge
02-16-06, 02:04 PM
Thanx J......me no wanna crash...lol

I know you know what I'm talking about though. It's one of those noises that only comes at a certain speed on certain roads, and so you're going 60-70 mph when it starts annoying you. So you start tapping on things in the car... then moving the seats back and forth... then pushing on different parts of the dash... and then you realize that you can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but you know that it's annoying the heck out of you. Then you realize that you haven't been paying much attention to the road.

Then you start wondering why you paid so much for this car...

Once it's fixed the world returns to balance and harmony.

That is until you take a look at your aftermarket exhaust pipes.:banghead:

2003RC51
02-16-06, 05:30 PM
I had the same chirp that your talking about. Mine was coming from the driver side hood hinge. Mainly happened on slightly bumpy roads or if you have crap ass GSd3's at around 70. You can stuff some rags between the rear driver side of the hood and glass to put some slight pressure on the hood. Mine sounded just like it was coming from the dash around the instrument cluster. Just try the rags and go for a drive.

I now have another chirp coming from the instrument cluster itself. I can slightly push on the cluster and it goes away. Im sure you have tried pushing on the cluster already though.

I was pretty close to taking a left hander into a telephone pole just because it was driving me so crazy. Id turn the radio up so I didnt have to hear it, then turn it down to see if it was still there. Gets real damn annoying!

GOOD LUCK

CTSV05
02-16-06, 10:49 PM
Good!!!

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only anal retentive over noises....lmao.

It does sound as it could be from thje corner of the windshield actually. Yes, of course all things have been pushed....held....and slightly whacked....all within reach of course........lmao.

This is sooooo funny.........

benh
02-16-06, 11:24 PM
Check the TSB for the water pump, issued in January. I have a similar sound and the TSB seems to hit it pretty well...havent done anything about it yet, not sure I want my dealer installing the new water pump. If I had Lindsey as my regular dealer, it would have been done already!

CTSV05
02-17-06, 12:52 AM
This is an intermittent....in relation to small road imperfections.

ace996
02-17-06, 12:58 AM
The water pump TSB is for a howl or hoot above certain temps...I had them do this as we thought it may fix the howl (I'm actually suffering froma tranny problem) and it did not fix it.
My chirp comes when going over mild dips/crowns in the road...enough flex to rub something together....it is maddening!!!!
-ace