: Need more help, please

tkrueger3
02-15-06, 07:14 PM
So I've had the '91 Brougham what, now, 3 weeks? And now I want to remove the wire hubcaps for a good thorough cleaning. OOOPSS!!! There ain't no hub cap lock removal tool.

Any thoughts on where I can maybe find one? I have a tag that came with the car from the dealer that is red in color and says "COLOR CODE = R" for ordering a replacement, but the company to order from, NI Industries in Novi, MI, is probably kaput now. I've found a Ken-Tool brand universal wheel cover lock removal kit that supposedly works on GM, Ford, Chrysler post-1978 vehicles without screwing anything up. But it's a tad expensive.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Jonas McFeely
02-15-06, 07:44 PM
I had an 88 Brougham that i didnt have the tool for,and the one for my 85 was different, so i tried sticking a few different things in the grooves to see if i could get it loose.Finally i used a flat head screw driver,one with a smaller tip,i'd say a medium sized one,and stuck it in one of the grooves on the bolt that holds it on.Its kind of hard to explain,i wish i could show (http://metrodump.com/index2.php?v4&v0=54&go=show&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cadillacforums.com%2Fforums% 2Fnewreply.php&pin=28129) you,but it did end up working.If you can get enough torque on it,and the screw driver doesnt slip out of the groove,it should work. As for finding one,good luck, the only thing i can think of is to take it to a local caddy dealership.

N0DIH
02-16-06, 11:19 AM
Stop by a junkyard, likely they have those laying around, take some out and see what fits. They save stuff like that for this very reason.

tkrueger3
02-19-06, 01:19 PM
I ended up ordering a new one from local Chevy dealer for $40. New, OEM, straight from GM. Will be here Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Tom

N0DIH
02-20-06, 02:16 PM
Owch.... but needed...

DopeStar 156
02-20-06, 07:21 PM
Actually they're color coded. The ones on my car are spraypainted yellow and the tool has a yellow cap on the top. But ya can't beat OEM....

Sorry to jack the thread but your problem got solved! LOL! How do you swap the lock nuts out of the hubcap for one of a different color? I wanna get a replacement hubcap since one of mine is all banged up. I've found a couple perfect ones but the locks don't match. I've been told by the guys at the junkyards that they can be swapped out but I have no idea how to swap them. Anyone know how to do this?