: Highway run. V vs. 06 STI

brtnharv
02-15-06, 02:34 PM
What a great day. The weather in charlotte was around 65 today and I had the windows down on the V. I had to run in to town to take care of something so I needed to hit the highway. As I approach the on ramp I throw it down 2nd and get ready to nail in order to be a good driver and merge faster than the oncoming traffic. Before I get on it, off in the distance I see a sparkling new 06 (it had those awful dual wings) blue STI. So I hit it and gracefully blow past the STI. The guy was rather irritated. In my rear view I see him slowly approach and I let him catch up while I cruise in 3rd gear. Soon as he gets to my rear bumper I nail it - he had no chance - tourque is king. I slow down, he tries to catch up. Apparently this time he was serious and keeps on it. The last time I looked down at the speedo I was at 125 and he was a few car lenghts behind. He waved his white flag after that run (flickered his lights) and took the next exit to go home and get on stiforums.com and tell all his JDM boys he was owned. :thumbsup:

kjr39
02-15-06, 02:37 PM
ya know, you shouldn't rub it in like this...

Some of us have to work. :(

DrivingAmericanNow
02-15-06, 03:15 PM
new 06 (it had those awful dual wings) blue STI.

:histeric: :histeric: Nothing so ugly deserves to be so fast. It's just not right.

rand49er
02-15-06, 03:26 PM
:histeric: :histeric: Nothing so ugly deserves to be so fast. It's just not right.Heck, maybe it NEEDS to be fast so it's harder to see.:D

brtnharv
02-15-06, 03:55 PM
Heck, maybe it NEEDS to be fast so it's harder to see.:D

Totally agree. I really think the guy thought he had me though. After it was said and done I had a smile from ear to ear...until I realized the V just drank 2 gallons of gas and needed filled up.. ha. well worth it though.

ace996
02-16-06, 01:35 AM
The high speed roll-on is the only place you'll beat the STI, so enjoy it. Coming home from a business meeting tonight, I was "flashed" by a new Audi A4...at about 65mph. By the time I changed gears into 4th...he was castrated, it was fun but not a real challenge.
Those STIs are demons from a stop, in the turns, and everywhere when the road is anything but bone dry. It is a good day when you can flex the LS6 in the V, just make sure it's in the right conditions...
-ace

naiculnila
02-16-06, 08:21 AM
it surprises me as to how people still bash these little 4 bangers for their big wings and looks and watever else.
it's a car just like yours and mine....it simply appeals to a different taste and crowd.

anyhow...given what it is...the engineering behind it leaves the V in the stone age!

STI: inline-4, 2.5L turbo (boost is pretty low), AWD, 300HP
V: V8, 5.7L,Rear-Wheel, and only 100 more HP

but my V has such a nicer interior you say....well it better for the extra $20,000 we've spend on it.

I'm not hating on the V or anyone in here. Simply offering another perspective since i drive an STI on a regular basis. From an engineering persepective, the V is a 3800 lb cart with a huge motor that drinks as much gasoline as a small european country.

Given a STI with 400 HP equal to the V; Lets just say that the we would be looking at tail lights all day long while a little 4-cylinder runs cyrcles around the mighty V8 all day!

Then again i get to enjoy both cars for what they are...so here's my .25 cents.

thefly
02-16-06, 08:47 AM
Given a STI with 400 HP equal to the V; Lets just say that the we would be looking at tail lights all day long while a little 4-cylinder runs cyrcles around the mighty V8 all day!

maybe, but the drive quality diminishes quickly, i traded a cobb stage 2 STi (350hp, 390tq at the flywheel) in for my V. only car where tuning really woke up the car big time. the STi was fast, but once rolling (100+) it ran out of steam. though it did turn some impressive lap times. it tied my ZO6 for a best lap time at texas world speedway chasing an M3, but i never got the Z into clear track without traffic.

DrivingAmericanNow
02-16-06, 10:29 AM
it surprises me as to how people still bash these little 4 bangers for their big wings and looks and watever else.
it's a car just like yours and mine....it simply appeals to a different taste and crowd.

anyhow...given what it is...the engineering behind it leaves the V in the stone age!

but my V has such a nicer interior you say....well it better for the extra $20,000 we've spend on it.

I'm not hating on the V or anyone in here. Simply offering another perspective since i drive an STI on a regular basis. From an engineering persepective, the V is a 3800 lb cart with a huge motor that drinks as much gasoline as a small european country.

No arguments, the STi is technically impressive and fast. My objection is that it's so F'n stupid looking. The damn thing looks like someone ripped it right off a carnival ride. It makes very little sense (to me) that Subaru would spend so much development effort on the driveline in the STi, just to stuff it into something that looks so idiotic. For a few more man-hours, one should think they could have developed a wrapper that looked half decent.

naiculnila
02-16-06, 10:31 AM
No arguments, the STi is technically impressive and fast. My objection is that it's so F'n stupid looking. The damn thing looks like someone ripped it right off a carnival ride. It makes very little sense (to me) that Subaru would spend so much development effort on the driveline in the STi, just to stuff it into something that looks so idiotic. For a few more man-hours, one should think they could have developed a wrapper that looked half decent.

Subaru Legacy Spec-B

DrivingAmericanNow
02-16-06, 10:38 AM
Subaru Legacy Spec-B

Just checked it out. I wouldn't call it handsome, but it's definately a decent (albeit plain) design. A much more respectable wrapper for that worthy driveline for sure. Thanks for pointing it out. Any clue on performance? Is it V-league?

naiculnila
02-16-06, 10:48 AM
Only 250 horse, but it has the STI motor and other goodies so it has high potential.
Still posts very decent numbers. Just check out the magazine sites, motortrend, roadandtrack and cardanddriver....thye had it in a few tests already and it did quiet well.

thefly
02-16-06, 11:36 AM
Only 250 horse, but it has the STI motor and other goodies so it has high potential.
Still posts very decent numbers. Just check out the magazine sites, motortrend, roadandtrack and cardanddriver....thye had it in a few tests already and it did quiet well.

it has potential to be an S4 beater IS350, maybe even a 300C or to, but nowhere near what an STi does. yes they do share motor but not turbo or intercooler...

ace996
02-16-06, 08:21 PM

The car is purpose built...built to race. All the things that some don't like about the car are there to make it a better race-car. The wing(s), the hood scoop, ect...all business pieces that needed to be there for the WRC car.
Yes, looks wise it's no V...but there's beauty in the function...
-ace

ace996
02-16-06, 08:28 PM
it has potential to be an S4 beater IS350, maybe even a 300C or to, but nowhere near what an STi does. yes they do share motor but not turbo or intercooler...

There's alot more you can do to that car than you think...over 450hp to the wheels ...and it does have a very nice interior!
-ace

talalhz
02-16-06, 09:54 PM

Your $0.02 back.
Correction :tisk:
STI is a Boxer 4 not inline 4 !

thefly
02-16-06, 11:31 PM
There's alot more you can do to that car than you think...over 450hp to the wheels ...and it does have a very nice interior!
-ace

i don't doubt that. throw enough money at anything and it will get there. but drivability would be greatly impacted. as you would be looking at aftermarket turbo for sure and front mount intercooler = big time lag. and then wait till you blow the engine, not a lot of forged internals in the 2.5L unlike the 2.0L they use overseas...

i don't doubt it might be fast but will be no substitute to a V8, i know from experience on the street and the track. plus all legacy gt's (don't know about the spec b) are 5 speeds and don't have the 3.90 6 speed STi's aggressive tranny.

ace996
02-16-06, 11:52 PM
i don't doubt that. throw enough money at anything and it will get there. but drivability would be greatly impacted. as you would be looking at aftermarket turbo for sure and front mount intercooler = big time lag. and then wait till you blow the engine, not a lot of forged internals in the 2.5L unlike the 2.0L they use overseas...

i don't doubt it might be fast but will be no substitute to a V8, i know from experience on the street and the track. plus all legacy gt's (don't know about the spec b) are 5 speeds and don't have the 3.90 6 speed STi's aggressive tranny.

True...true...I really do love the LS6, but can't have a C5 Z06..."must have at least 3 seats"- says my wife.
I have every intent of hitting the cones and tracks this summer with an '06 STI...the V is just self-destructing more and more. If only the rest of the car could be as good as the motor.

Ok, so I won't be able to do roll-ons like the V...I never really do...and it doesn't look like the V...but it's been tweaked/adjusted/tested/raced more than most. All cars have issues, but that STI is one tough cookie...and, as you know, when sprinkled with the correct mods...is one of the best examples of an Automotive-Swiss-Army Knife. It doesn't do anything "the best" but is better than 95% of the competition in EVERY discipline. A well-rounded street/track/autox/snow/rain/strip weapon. And they are known to be quite sturdy...tough...which is more than I can say about my current leaking T-56 and clunkaholic.

To each his own...
-ace

trekster
02-17-06, 12:07 AM
The V pulls like no other in 3rd gear.

Koooop
02-17-06, 12:27 AM
Isn't that thing on the hood of the STI a Periscope so the Squirels can see WTF they're going?

pcwelty
02-17-06, 01:22 AM
Ace is right. Both of us respect the V, He owns one and I was a signiture away from owning one. There is no question that some people have had no problems with their cars, however, there are more that have. Comparing the STI to V in anything but performance is rediculous. They are different cars completely. Most V owners only want to talk about roll on races or anything over 100 MPH. I have raced 2 V's, both at a stop and I won both races. I'm not aposed to racing from a roll, it just hasn't work out that way yet. I'm also not worried about losing from a roll either.

Like Ace stated, the STI isn't the best in one area, but near the top in all cat. The V is a great sports luxury sedan, the STI is a pure sports car. The V does have some serious problems and cannot be pushed to it's limits on a day to day basis without major break downs, but it isn't designed for that type of abuse. Whereas the STI roots are deep into WRC and autoX and is designed to push that envelope time and time again.

PCW

thefly
02-17-06, 09:08 AM
I have every intent of hitting the cones and tracks this summer with an '06 STI...the V is just self-destructing more and more. If only the rest of the car could be as good as the motor.

Ok, so I won't be able to do roll-ons like the V...I never really do...and it doesn't look like the V...but it's been tweaked/adjusted/tested/raced more than most. All cars have issues, but that STI is one tough cookie...and, as you know, when sprinkled with the correct mods...is one of the best examples of an Automotive-Swiss-Army Knife. It doesn't do anything "the best" but is better than 95% of the competition in EVERY discipline. A well-rounded street/track/autox/snow/rain/strip weapon. And they are known to be quite sturdy...tough...which is more than I can say about my current leaking T-56 and clunkaholic.

i don't know who is telling you there are quite sturdy, be careful at the track STi's will oil starve easily and blammo new engine, turbo, intercooler. my friend's did that exact same thing to his on a bank. threw a rod (nothing is forged in there). while his was at the dealership, a race prepped one with 200 miles on it was in the for the very same thing (happened a week later), the race prepped one got warrantied (through contacts they had with Subaru Of America) and my friends didn't, called it abuse. the bill for it is about $8-10k. and on mine i wore out the 4 gear syncro, which is takes a lot of the brunt since you will find you will be in 4th and 5th most of the time. let me also say the european STi's are much more closely related to the WRC car, they get a 2.0L forged motor with a twin scroll turbo, something we didn't get cause it wouldn't pass us emissions standards

Seattle CTS-V
02-17-06, 01:05 PM
The V pulls like no other in 3rd gear.

Get yourself a Maggie and you'll feel the same way about 4th gear as well!!

ace996
02-17-06, 09:14 PM
i don't know who is telling you there are quite sturdy, be careful at the track STi's will oil starve easily and blammo new engine, turbo, intercooler. my friend's did that exact same thing to his on a bank. threw a rod (nothing is forged in there). while his was at the dealership, a race prepped one with 200 miles on it was in the for the very same thing (happened a week later), the race prepped one got warrantied (through contacts they had with Subaru Of America) and my friends didn't, called it abuse. the bill for it is about $8-10k. and on mine i wore out the 4 gear syncro, which is takes a lot of the brunt since you will find you will be in 4th and 5th most of the time. let me also say the european STi's are much more closely related to the WRC car, they get a 2.0L forged motor with a twin scroll turbo, something we didn't get cause it wouldn't pass us emissions standards
Every vehicle has it's quirks when used to such extremes, it's knowing what the issues are and addressing them. For me, there's no addressing the V's issues for "extreme" use....can't be done without major cash or ownership in a drivetrain company.
You bring up a "race-prepped" STI, certainly a vehicle that could use an Accusump. Good example, but it is extreme. Most of the Vs on this board are probably driven harder than most, but none are "race-prepped" and do that kind of duty on a regular basis. Sefa wrung the weasel-piss out of his for a while on the tracks, and made a determination that it wasn't worth it...it was killing the car. So if we were to focus on the "track-day" or "spiritedly street-driven" vehicles, I think the STI is a little more "sturdy". I figure, with the years of competition and re-designs, that I will never throw the same type of abuse towards a car as SWRT has...yes, they are different cars but when something breaks there's a dozen companies waiting to replace just about any part I can think of....
Blown motor you say??? Ok...time for a Cobb shortblock and a quick-spool Deadbolt. Certainly be cheaper than dealing with the dealership, and just so happens the local dealer is a fellow autoxer with a tuning shop in the back...
Metric Subaru Performance Tuning...and one of my good autox buddies is a tech there....certainly worth having friends in the dealership/service department!

I shudder at what a season of r-compound autox would do to the V...it's frightening at just how much "durability" shortfalls would surface. Someone I know blew a diff and trailing-arm bushing the first event...:eek: ....the first event!!! My other friends/students have ran at the front of their classes with their STIs with nothing more than brake pad wear...
This car has let me down more than I could ever imagine, I'm done...now it's up to the courts.
-ace

thefly
02-18-06, 07:56 PM
You bring up a "race-prepped" STI, certainly a vehicle that could use an Accusump. Good example, but it is extreme.

very true, i looked into one wasn't cost effective

So if we were to focus on the "track-day" or "spiritedly street-driven" vehicles, I think the STI is a little more "sturdy". I figure, with the years of competition and re-designs, that I will never throw the same type of abuse towards a car as SWRT has...

the STi's in the states are vastly different then what SWRT has, if you got your hands on a spec C or group N car then i would agree. i was just pointing my observations from 17,000 miles of ownership and racing. hence the reason i am looking into a spec miata (but mine will be faster).

Certainly be cheaper than dealing with the dealership, and just so happens the local dealer is a fellow autoxer with a tuning shop in the back...
Metric Subaru Performance Tuning...and one of my good autox buddies is a tech there....certainly worth having friends in the dealership/service department!

I shudder at what a season of r-compound autox would do to the V...it's frightening at just how much "durability" shortfalls would surface. Someone I know blew a diff and trailing-arm bushing the first event...:eek: ....the first event!!!
-ace

at the end of day we all chose to drive luxury car with performance in mind. it doesn't surprise me the V can't handle a season of autocrossing, hell SOA used to pay for a years membership to SCCA. as far as autocrossing, the STi will be a formidble opponent for sure, but expect tough competition in STU. de's or track days are what i am concerned about as far as durability. i know you got a friend at the dealership who is also an autocrosser, i was in the same boat, local dealership had a cobb sponsored driver (SCCA national champ) who ran the parts dept., but can't help you at all when it breaks (which it will). if not the tranny, engine will be next. and he was nice enough to inform the service manager where the car was, when we called him for advice to see if the engine was screwed.