: How many are in the 200K club, 300K and 400K?

N0DIH
02-15-06, 02:18 PM
Who has the most miles on your ride? Any Cadillac

What have you done to get it there??

pimpin88
02-15-06, 02:46 PM
well, im pretty damn close to 200k. i have 195,xxx on mine and have only done routine maintenance. im not too easy on it either, and i just finished a cam swap. so im very pleased with my 307!!

caddycruiser
02-15-06, 03:08 PM
I hope to be in at least the 200k club one day with my '95 Fleetwood that has 117k, but right now dad is at 193k on his '92 Roadmaster and at last check, with a new rotor & cap, is running better than ever.

I think that car is going to set a record for running forever and costing just a few dollars to keep running like a beast...hope the Caddy's both live up to the same level, especially mine. So far, the '93 is at 103k, and it's needed more repairs than the rest, but they were still pretty much all minor things.

Mine will be the first LT1 experience in the household, compared to the 2 other TBI's, and I hope it goes even better.

Who has the most miles on your ride? Any Cadillac

What have you done to get it there??

What are you at, by the way, with the '94?

N0DIH
02-15-06, 06:02 PM
Just rolled my 94 to 179K a couple nights ago. Was at 142K 1 year ago this week....

Very very little to do on it save oil changes and brakes.

Looking at some major work in a month or 2. Opti/Water Pump/Timing Set and new tires (Impala SS wheels if I can swing it!)

caddycruiser
02-15-06, 06:16 PM
Just rolled my 94 to 179K a couple nights ago. Was at 142K 1 year ago this week....

Very very little to do on it save oil changes and brakes.

Looking at some major work in a month or 2. Opti/Water Pump/Timing Set and new tires (Impala SS wheels if I can swing it!)

Any particular signs that the Opti/Water Pump/Timing Set are going, or is it just because it's probably about "that time"?

N0DIH
02-15-06, 06:21 PM
Yup, just that time. I spoke with Impala SS Guru Scott Mueller about my odd condition if engine rpm is up and my coolant temp sinking to around 57C, he said that is a sign the pump is bad and it is getting coolant around the thermostat. He said he hasn't seen a wp leak, but they do odd things like this.

I think Katshot said they swapped them at 14xK miles for PM reasons. Sounds good to me. We will get tax refund and dump a few $ into the car.

Bro-Ham
02-16-06, 01:13 PM
Hello!

I'm at a mere 236k miles on my 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe with V8-6-4. It's still in nice shape and I love everything about it except the variable displacement headaches.

Dave

caddycruiser
02-16-06, 01:45 PM
Hello!

I'm at a mere 236k miles on my 1981 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe with V8-6-4. It's still in nice shape and I love everything about it except the variable displacement headaches.

Dave

Wow, interesting that "one of those" made it that far. Just for a quick brush-up, how exactly does that system work? Anything even remotely close to the concept of GM's DOD today, where it kicks half of the 8 off when you're cruising?

Or does that system not work anymore on yours?

Bro-Ham
02-16-06, 05:48 PM
Hi,

Surprisingly, the V8-6-4 does still operate on my car. When you need power the system operates with all 8 cylinders, as your power needs decrease the engine operates on 6 cylinders, on the highway it switches to 4 cylinders. When you step on the gas to go fast the system automatically returns to 8 cylinders.

A few months ago I remember reading on this forum about some enthusiastic people removing the V8-6-4 mechanicals from a 1981 car and were wishing to fit the system to a 500 V8 on an older Cadillac. That is a very bad idea if you ask me. The V8-6-4 system operated poorly when it was introduced in 1981 due to the fact that the technology was not well developed which caused most owners to disconnect the system and operate on all 8 cylinders all the time. Check engine lights constantly come on and go off, everyone I have spoken with who has a working V8-6-4 says they have the same annoying vibration in 6 cylinder mode, and 4 cylinders is not enough to keep the car moving along at highway speeds so there is a noticeable change from the 4 back to 6 cylinders (which causes the vibration) and it is all quite annoying. I would love to remove the variable displacement equipment and all the computers and run on 8 cylinders all the time to avoid the headaches since the car is wonderful to drive when it is in 8 cylinders and a complete mess when it is in 6 or 4.

I am not too familiar with the new GM system although the idea is the same as the 1981 system yet I would bet anything the new system operates much, much better!

Dave

caddycruiser
02-16-06, 05:59 PM
Hi,

Surprisingly, the V8-6-4 does still operate on my car. When you need power the system operates with all 8 cylinders, as your power needs decrease the engine operates on 6 cylinders, on the highway it switches to 4 cylinders. When you step on the gas to go fast the system automatically returns to 8 cylinders.

A few months ago I remember reading on this forum about some enthusiastic people removing the V8-6-4 mechanicals from a 1981 car and were wishing to fit the system to a 500 V8 on an older Cadillac. That is a very bad idea if you ask me. The V8-6-4 system operated poorly when it was introduced in 1981 due to the fact that the technology was not well developed which caused most owners to disconnect the system and operate on all 8 cylinders all the time. Check engine lights constantly come on and go off, everyone I have spoken with who has a working V8-6-4 says they have the same annoying vibration in 6 cylinder mode, and 4 cylinders is not enough to keep the car moving along at highway speeds so there is a noticeable change from the 4 back to 6 cylinders (which causes the vibration) and it is all quite annoying. I would love to remove the variable displacement equipment and all the computers and run on 8 cylinders all the time to avoid the headaches since the car is wonderful to drive when it is in 8 cylinders and a complete mess when it is in 6 or 4.

I am not too familiar with the new GM system although the idea is the same as the 1981 system yet I would bet anything the new system operates much, much better!

Dave

Definately sounds like what I expected, especially after watching a show years ago where they were testing a mule GMC Sierra 5.3L that had DOD in it, and an engineer commented after the question about the old V8-6-4 that "Yeah, well, it was a good idea in theory, but there was nowhere near the electrical and computer sophistication we have available today to make it operate properly. Forget about the V8-6-4, period."

Just seems like something where the thinking got a little bit ahead of the actual engineering limitations of the time...but still would be interesting to see and feel in action.