: When Your Best Sound System Is in the Car

EcSTSatic
02-15-06, 12:10 PM
The Wall St Journal had an article that led off with; "Bang & Olufsen, the high-end audio and video company, just launched a new sound system. It has 14 speakers, costs $6,300 -- and it's for your car." The new B&O system will be offered on Volkswagen AG Audi's new 2007 Audi A8 and S8 models,

It goes on to say that instead of installing basic no-name systems, car companies are increasingly working with marquee stereo brands to offer products that rival top-shelf home systems. And manufacturers aren't limiting their efforts to swanky models such as BMWs and Lexuses. They are trying to convince owners of even modest Dodge hatchbacks and pickup trucks that they need stereos with eight-inch subwoofers.

The 2007 Lexus LS 460, which hits showrooms this fall, will have a new surround-sound system from high-end home stereo brand Mark Levinson with 19 speakers! The stereo also can copy and hold up to 4,000 CD tracks on an internal hard drive.

Consumer interest in high-end car stereos is rising, as iPod addicts become used to being in a permanent music bubble and as worsening traffic causes people to spend more time in their cars.

Devil_concours
02-15-06, 12:21 PM
The Wall St Journal had an article that led off with; "Bang & Olufsen, the high-end audio and video company, just launched a new sound system. It has 14 speakers, costs $6,300 -- and it's for your car." The new B&O system will be offered on Volkswagen AG Audi's new 2007 Audi A8 and S8 models,

It goes on to say that instead of installing basic no-name systems, car companies are increasingly working with marquee stereo brands to offer products that rival top-shelf home systems. And manufacturers aren't limiting their efforts to swanky models such as BMWs and Lexuses. They are trying to convince owners of even modest Dodge hatchbacks and pickup trucks that they need stereos with eight-inch subwoofers.

The 2007 Lexus LS 460, which hits showrooms this fall, will have a new surround-sound system from high-end home stereo brand Mark Levinson with 19 speakers! The stereo also can copy and hold up to 4,000 CD tracks on an internal hard drive.

Consumer interest in high-end car stereos is rising, as iPod addicts become used to being in a permanent music bubble and as worsening traffic causes people to spend more time in their cars.
as you know the new sts comes with 15 speaker bose system with 6 disc dvd changer (DVD-A and MP3 capable). It also comes with aux in for video and audio feed (you can plug in your mp3 player through a line-in instead of using fm modulator). I think the new s-class has a removable hard drive for their audio.

davesdeville
02-15-06, 02:26 PM
I wonder how the used market will react to billion speaker cars... I don't think I want 19 chances for a name brand speaker to fail.

Kev
02-15-06, 03:32 PM
What?????!

Stoneage_Caddy
02-15-06, 03:47 PM
yah ...anyone who has had to amputate a old bose system and install nose to tail a new system will cringe at this stuff ....

Playdrv4me
02-15-06, 04:11 PM
Bang and Olufsen!!!! Wow that will be pretty incredible. I knew it was a matter of time before that name found its way into cars. Half the beauty of B&O is their aesthetics... it will be interesting to see what the audio system ends up looking like as WELL as sounding like.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-15-06, 09:25 PM
I forget is Bang and Olufsen German or is it a Swedish company?

Bang and Olufsen offers a 1100 watt, 14 speaker system in the new $98,000 Audi S8 for $7800.

Night Wolf
02-15-06, 11:19 PM
B&O is good stuff in the hi-fi world....

Playdrv4me
02-15-06, 11:31 PM
I forget is Bang and Olufsen German or is it a Swedish company?

Bang and Olufsen offers a 1100 watt, 14 speaker system in the new $98,000 Audi S8 for $7800.

Actually I think B&O is from Denmark.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
02-17-06, 03:09 AM
B&O is garbage.
It looks pretty but at the price they ask you can get something that sounds a zilllion times better for the same money.

BOSE is also junk really, in the hi-fi world the phrase is "(B)etter (O)ff with (S)omething (E)lse"

Zorb750
02-17-06, 05:30 AM
B&O is garbage.
It looks pretty but at the price they ask you can get something that sounds a zilllion times better for the same money.

BOSE is also junk really, in the hi-fi world the phrase is "(B)etter (O)ff with (S)omething (E)lse"

I agree totally. Garbage.

I have another B& system that should be in a car. Bowers and Wilkins. Now that's audio. B&O essentially takes Bose style designs and tricks to the next level and then makes it look pretty. The sound is not remarkable. I just remember when a salesman at the B&O Store at Somerset Collection mall in Troy, MI tried to show off how much bass potential the system had. He turned it to a level where you could indeed feel bass in classic rock, and you could also hear the awful hiss of a garbage amplifier and spacializer circuit. If I crank my B&W system with its Rotel amps (And this isn't totally top of the line equipment from either company) I have NO amp noise. Literally. If it's not playing anything, I may get a tiny hiss but that's a combined potential of over 1000 watts of amps amplifying nothingness.

B&O's little electronic tricks just sound weird to anyone with a real trained ear. Kind of like the BOSE "123" system, which claims to get 5.1 sound out of two little speakers with two 2" drivers in each and a sub that gets way to happy in the mid bass range, which shouldn't even BE the domain of a sub. The 123 sucks. It sounds ok for a video game machine, and it is simple, but it's not home theater, it's not a reasonable facsimilie of home theater, and it will never be a reasonable facsimilie of home theater. Not without more speakers and serious angle and accoustic calculations when you set it all up.

Frost
02-17-06, 08:05 AM
Gee, ZORB750, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Whenever I contemplate upgrading the factory stereo system in my '97 SDV, I troll through the stereo section of these forums and remind myself what a royal pain in the ass it is.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
02-18-06, 09:17 PM
Gee, ZORB750, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Whenever I contemplate upgrading the factory stereo system in my '97 SDV, I troll through the stereo section of these forums and remind myself what a royal pain in the ass it is.
Whether you like how he delivered his opinions or not, he's right.

B&O are show stereos, like a supermodel with no brains. And Bose, some of the most overrated electronics ever produced.

Personnally, I'd love to hear the Linn system in the Aston Martins. That would be something nice.

Zorb, I rock a B&W/Rotel/Nad combo as well...what setup do ya have?

Jesda
02-18-06, 09:34 PM
I hate Bose. Some of their stuff in a few cars is pretty decent, but the home and portable products are awful.

My headphones are Grado. My amp is an Onkyo.

Devil_concours
02-18-06, 09:44 PM
I hate Bose. Some of their stuff in a few cars is pretty decent, but the home and portable products are awful.

My headphones are Grado. My amp is an Onkyo.
my headphones are senheiser and sony DJ line.

thebigjimsho
02-20-06, 04:05 PM
I agree...B&W>>>B&O.

However, the V is most likely seeing Dynaudio and JL Audio going into it this summer.

Zorb750
02-20-06, 04:54 PM
Rotel 1070 preamp
2x Rotel 1090 amps
2x B&W 802

SpeedyArizona
02-20-06, 05:32 PM
I have to disagree that B&O is junk, I think it's one of the best sounding systems on the market today. I've never heard of B&W, but I'm sure it's fairly good.

I'm just as happy with my Boston Acoustics though, they're fairly inexpensive when you get out of that mass-market junk.

Playdrv4me
02-20-06, 07:57 PM
Again, for home use B&O is no better than Onkyo or even Panasonic when it comes to sound quality, but they do build their equipment to higher standards aesthetically than most out there. Bose is the same way, not great in home stereos, but my 425W Bose 4.0 in the Cadillac is better than even the Mark Levinson in the LS430 I had, which was one of the top rated systems EVER.

If I had my wish, Id say screw all of the above and give me a MARTIN LOGAN sound system!

MrEr1c
02-20-06, 11:06 PM
yeah bose is pretty much considered junk in the hi-fi audio and head-fi world.

i myself use some Grado, sennheiser, and audio-technica headphones at home. owe the goodness...

Zorb750
02-21-06, 02:33 AM
Martin Logan? Hmmm.... I looked at some of their stuff, Electrostatic transducer, right? Clarity's ok, mid bass is weak. I listened to it back to back with the B&Ws at the store (Almas) when I bought it. I went back and forth. they didn't measure up, except for the wider high dispersal. Clarity wasn't as good.

As far as Onkyo, they don't make any noteworthy speakers. B&O makes speakers and amps, so you can't directly compare them.

Onkyo plus B&W is better than B&O.

thebigjimsho
02-21-06, 05:13 PM
I have to disagree that B&O is junk, I think it's one of the best sounding systems on the market today. I've never heard of B&W, but I'm sure it's fairly good.

I'm just as happy with my Boston Acoustics though, they're fairly inexpensive when you get out of that mass-market junk.Boston Acoustics is pretty good but they're nothing like their older systems. When Boston and a/d/s/ were in their heyday, that was some great stuff.

Devil_concours
02-23-06, 08:14 PM
Boston Acoustics is pretty good but they're nothing like their older systems. When Boston and a/d/s/ were in their heyday, that was some great stuff.
i love ba stuff. Their high and mid range sounds are one of the best

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
02-27-06, 07:05 AM
At home I have B&W speakers on my surround system, with a Denon AVC-A1D amp. It's all about 4 years old now I think.

Sounds absolutely ace.
Loses a bit in music ability due to the home cinema amp, but it's still fantastic.

fast66
02-28-06, 05:32 AM
My escalade sound system is the BEST stock stereo in a car that I have heard by far. The worst are porsches! In the my sis's cabriolet she has a blunkput that came with the car and it is supposed to be their best, IT SUCKS! BIG TIME!

integline
02-28-06, 01:09 PM
Bose in the escalades sounds pretty good. my friends constantly ask me if i got subs and shit in their. bose's home line sucks. i remember back in teh day i went to a bose store and was wearing sandals and shorts and the guy wouldnt even talk to me. then as i am about to leave a guys like Hi need some help. Im like I wnat to see your best. Little room we goto and bam sits me down and i listen. Sounded great i guess but for that money i was like let me think bout it. went to antoher store and heard soo many better sounding systems for less. and the stores high end stuff was amazing. Moral dont be fooled by shiny boxes and wrappings, research b4 spending your hard earned moeny,or just give it to me.

mtflight
03-01-06, 05:04 PM
BOSE has some impressive inventions-- The 901 speakers? They sound great in a room.

They did go overboard with their mini cubes with Subwoofer boxes. Looks cool but something is missing to the trained ear. Their 123 system is better than the built in TV speakers, and it's cheap, but it's no substitute for their high end stuff. Its not supposed to be the best out there, by any means. They just advertise that it's easy to improve the sound of your TV in ways the average joe and his family did not think were possible (and they can say they have a BOSE sound system ooooo). It's like the Cadillac Cimarron: Everyone can afford a Cadillac. It's an entry product and no substitute for the high end stuff some of which they do make (anyone here ever listened to the 901 speakers in a room that has the right acoustics?)

The wave radio is better than most other aesthetically pleasing tabletop radios out there, and it sounds decent, considering its small size.

It's not trash, but it's not the best either. I stick to my statement about the 901 speakers and let's be honest folks--compared to the basic factory radio it's not bad at all.

Night Wolf
03-01-06, 10:34 PM
Well, I can tell some of ya'll are not in the audio hobby.

Dare I put a spin on things..... vintage? :). That is my specialty. The new gear is nice and all, but really, I am into the vintage gear... just like my cars. Time tested design. My 30 year old Sansui isn't up to the level it should be, so I'll be restoring it soon... electronically.

BLOSE is a joke. Thier cubes, the 901.... everything. I'll admit, thir factory car stuff dosn't sound all that bad, it's just a PITA to upgrade later on.

I like my vintage gear :). This was at my house back in NY, but I moved it all down to the apartment... it's kinda like having a Corvette Z06 and being limited to 55mph.... atleast I have my car to crank up the music when I'd like. My smaller Onkyo receiver is the computer system... I like that too.

http://inoventionseast.com/misc/Whole%20System.JPG

mtflight
03-02-06, 12:44 AM
Well, I can tell some of ya'll are not in the audio hobby.

Dare I put a spin on things..... vintage? :). That is my specialty. The new gear is nice and all, but really, I am into the vintage gear... just like my cars. Time tested design. My 30 year old Sansui isn't up to the level it should be, so I'll be restoring it soon... electronically.

BLOSE is a joke. Thier cubes, the 901.... everything. I'll admit, thir factory car stuff dosn't sound all that bad, it's just a PITA to upgrade later on.

I like my vintage gear :). This was at my house back in NY, but I moved it all down to the apartment... it's kinda like having a Corvette Z06 and being limited to 55mph.... atleast I have my car to crank up the music when I'd like. My smaller Onkyo receiver is the computer system... I like that too.

http://inoventionseast.com/misc/Whole%20System.JPG

Those are really nice speakers and I agree with you on the high end vintage stuff. There is no substitute for a woofer, mid and tweeter, vs cubes and subwoofers.

Some of the more pricey components today are the vacuum tube amps for audiophiles probably because there's that "je ne se quoi" factor missing from the modern stuff.

My only disagreement; however, lies with your opinion o the 901s. If you've heard them, I don't think they were properly set up. Those things sound so rich yet so natural it's amazing.

BOSE strives for realism in reproduction of music, not for simply rich (albeit artificial) sound. The 901s are still recognized by true audiophiles because they just can't be matched in terms of fidelity to the original interpretation (recording)... If properly set up they sound like you're smack in the middle of the stage. This is especially true when the recordings are done the traditional correct way with true sound engineers seeking a natural sound.

Sound bounces in all directions, like it would in real life, vs. toward you like your stereo speaker setup.

Go to an exclusive BOSE store in your local mall, and switch between the contemporary systems (the mini cubes, 123s, Lifestyle systems, 301s, 601s, and then the amazing 901s). Once you hear the 901s in an area designed for them, you will immediately hear what is missing in the modern systems.

The 601s are more like what you have in terms of vintage technology, the 901s are a revolution in sound design/reproduction, ask any true audiophile.