: No speedo!!!

fristim
01-02-04, 03:46 PM
I was driving along and all of a sudden the speedometer went crazy then the needle dropped all the way to the resting point. I stop the car and restarted and nothing, then the SES light came on, pulled the code and P0502 came up speed sensor low input voltage. Anyone know which sensor that is, hopefully not the on in the tranny:) THanks in advance!!! 98 Concours 111500

Logandiagnostic
01-02-04, 10:39 PM
The VSS sensor. This is NOT the one deep inside the trans. The VSS can be swapped out on the car. It is mounted on the passenger side of the trans just above where the passenger side half shaft enters the trans.

Logan

jakej
01-05-04, 09:41 PM
Correct. I'm about to change the vss in my '94 etc too. Theres two sensors in the tranny, the one way inside is called the trans input speed sensor, and the one on the outside is called the vss. The vss is a $10 sensor that can be ordered at gmpartsdirect.com, it's part number 24204319 for my 94 eldo (northstar).
Its located on the pass side of the car, on the top of the trans. bell housing. A little right (if your under the car) of the trans fluid pan. The bell housing looks like a cone with the smaller end twords the pass side wheel. If you look at a extremely perfect angle you can just barely see it by looking thorugh the pass wheel well. Its held in by one 10MM bolt and a two wire wiring harness.
I hope this helps,
-jake